Puppy Buyers

Jed

I think there are valid points on both sides of this particular equation...

Most good breeders put their all into breeding and raising dogs to be all that they want them to be... so they have every right to put restrictions on who they want to rehome their dogs/pups with... who knows their dogs' needs better than they do really?

Then again, as a lot of people here have pointed out (some tactfully, others not so much), there are plenty of people out there who manage to raise a young pup to well adjusted adulthood whilst also working fulltime.

In the end though, it IS the breeder's decision as to who and where they are prepared to rehome their pups to, and under what circumstances they feel the pup will thrive the best.

My personal opinion is that some breeders that have blanket requirements (such as the not working fulltime issue) may be missing out on some awesome homes for their pups... but it's still THEIR call to make at the end of the day, isn't it?

T.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is absolutely a breeders right to say I won't place one of my puppies in X situation, completely their call. However that's different to saying anyone who is in X situation shouldn't be getting a puppy at all as they can't possibly raise it right.

If breeders are annoyed by enquires why not set up a website and incorporate a questionnaire for potential buyers to complete and respond to that. Also make it clear on the website what your expectations are. Pretty simple really and would weed out many "undesirable" enquiries.

Yes, I agree.

It can be really difficult when you're looking for a pup, a lot of breeders websites and ads don't have prices or requirements the potential owner needs to fill.

Maybe if more info was upfront lots of these enquiries could be avoided? I don't understand why price seems to be such a secret, people need to know if they can afford the puppy or not.

I agree that it is absolutely a breeders right to say I won't place one of my puppies in X situation, completely their call. However that's different to saying anyone who is in X situation shouldn't be getting a puppy at all as they can't possibly raise it right.

Yes, exactly.I don't think anyone has questioned the breeders right to decide who they sell their pups to. It was the tone of the OP that got people on the defensive.

Edited by Aussie3

Yes, exactly.I don't think anyone has questioned the breeders right to decide who they sell their pups to. It was the tone of the OP that got people on the defensive.

But the tone of the defensiveness was very offensive in some cases. An intelligent counter argument can be put forward without derision and downright rudeness.

True, but it goes both ways. If you make a sweeping negative generalisation then go on to add qualifiers about what you actually meant then make other sweeping negative generalisations you can't really cry foul when other people respond negatively to you.

There's negative and then there is rude, derogatory and so on. Simply Grand when you start a thread on something I doubt that you would find the type of response that Jed received acceptable.

There's no need and no excuse for being obnoxious simply because you disagree with someone, argue your point sure, but don't do it in a way that belittles someone else with a different viewpoint.

It's a wonder anyone posts anything these days. DOL has changed significantly in tone since I joined and not for the better.

It does prove my point. If you can't understand that, don't bother. It isn't worth my trouble. Just keep getting pups and taking them home, and have them "play up", not know what to do, so send them back.

None of you will ever need any assistance,because you are all such experts who never have any problems at all with your dogs.

Well done.

I am sure you will be able to assist this poster with her problems in a flash. Tomorrow, the dog will be perfect.

Well done

Incidentally, Wreckitwhipppit NO ONE, except you, suggested any dog needed companionship 24/7 all their lives.

You are obviously making it up as you go along.

New pups need owners to give some consideration to their circumstances otherwise the situation discussed here, or something similar arises.

Dogmad do you not see the irony in what you said? How is the above post not derogatory to people who have a different view point?

Personally I have no problem with people arguing their own point and I can deal with whatever is thrown at me on an Internet forum, but double standards and lack of logic frustrate me.

It does prove my point. If you can't understand that, don't bother. It isn't worth my trouble. Just keep getting pups and taking them home, and have them "play up", not know what to do, so send them back.

None of you will ever need any assistance,because you are all such experts who never have any problems at all with your dogs.

Well done.

I am sure you will be able to assist this poster with her problems in a flash. Tomorrow, the dog will be perfect.

Well done

Incidentally, Wreckitwhipppit NO ONE, except you, suggested any dog needed companionship 24/7 all their lives.

New pups need owners to give some consideration to their circumstances otherwise the situation discussed here, or something similar arises.

Dogmad do you not see the irony in what you said? How is the above post not derogatory to people who have a different view point?

Personally I have no problem with people arguing their own point and I can deal with whatever is thrown at me on an Internet forum, but double standards and lack of logic frustrate me.

But this post was made after a whole heap of rude comments. Perhaps those who are being attacked should just turn the other cheek? I'm sure that many simply leave the forums for good.

Edited by dogmad

Well done.

Well done

But this post was made after a whole heap of rude comments. Perhaps those who are being attacked should just turn the other cheek? I'm sure that many simply leave the forums for good.

Yes. And the thread was substantially tidied up. The rude bits that remain are tame in comparison to what has been edited out.

I can't comment on posts I haven't seen, they've obviously been deleted for a good reason and I can understand being upset about whatever was said.

I still don't think that means that making sarcastic insulting statements about a whole lot of us should be accepted without response. As I said, I don't like double standards.

I'm inclined to think that whether the pups belonging to a whole bunch of people of a board dedicated to dogs manage their dogs around whatever other commitments they have isn't really indicative of the population as a whole. If you are on this site then chances are you are the type of person who will go to extra lengths for your dog, whether you are here because you are solving a problem that you already have or because you are trying to prevent issues or simply because you are involved in the world of dogs in some way and you love it. The ratio of people who would go to the extra lengths to cater for a puppies needs against those who would just stick them in the yard for ten hours straight is a lot higher on this board than it is in the general population. While I'm not going to say it wasn't maybe stated in a way that might have put a few off side I don't think anyone can really argue with the essence of what Jed is saying which is that she doesn't wish to sell to someone who is just going to stick the pup on it's own for a long day. If you are juggling shifts to make it work to start with that's not you, if you took time off work that's not you and if you have your friend/neighbour/relative coming to play with puppy and ensure he gets out to the loo then that's not you.

I can't comment on posts I haven't seen, they've obviously been deleted for a good reason and I can understand being upset about whatever was said.

I still don't think that means that making sarcastic insulting statements about a whole lot of us should be accepted without response. As I said, I don't like double standards.

Exactly.

But the tone of the defensiveness was very offensive in some cases.

As was the tone of the OP. It goes both ways.

I got my first dog when I was 15. He learned to cope with me going off to school everyday. Even now, although there is somebody home most of the time, my dog still copes with my absence at work and my kids' going to school. Our bitch doesn't like being separated from my son, but she also has adapted to his going to work.

It's also very dependent on breed. Some will be relatively ok with a big garden to explore, others will thrive in the company of other dogs, whilst some (like our Flatties) require a lot of 1on1 human interaction.

This attitudes why I won't be actively seeking a breeder, for my next pup, it's the reason why I won't be also taking a dog from any official recuse.

Sophie was a good as dumped on her saviour and sent to us a very broken dog. Which we have now fixed while working heaps. In fact we have people who tell us how Lucky we got such a nice dog and how lovely she is.

Leo was purchased by his vetted buyer from a breeder who ticked all her boxes. I bought him from the trading post. He was sort of broken, and still is... :rofl:

I will be asking breeders who have seen me and followed Sophie just to be kind enough to pick me without the crappy jumping thru hoops. If we are still deemed crap owners.... Then I will purchase from other sources, as I have the skills to work with those dogs.

No drama... But a breeder behind a screen will not tell me I won't have a dog or 6!

Guest donatella

My 1st Lucy is totally independent and was accepting of alone time from day 1 as I was a shift worker. If you lock her outside she'll just sit at the door waiting to come in not a peep to be heard (we learnt the hard way one night when all the dogs came in except her and it wasn't until I wondered where she was I found her waiting patiently at the door :laugh: )

Bonnie number 2 has never had time alone she's been with either people or dogs and if you put her by herself she barks and carries on until you get her. She's ok being at home so long as there's other dogs with her but does not deal with being solo at all (she has had to do it at emergency vets and apparently behaved but I think that was because of all the drugs :laugh: )

My dog 1 who has spent work days alone is far happier about being alone then Bon, she is totally dependent on dogs and people. My own fault too I guess but Lucy still seeks alone time of her own accord I'll find her hiding from everyone/other dogs just to get some peace and quiet by herself :laugh:

Edited by donatella

This attitudes why I won't be actively seeking a breeder, for my next pup, it's the reason why I won't be also taking a dog from any official recuse.

Sophie was a good as dumped on her saviour and sent to us a very broken dog. Which we have now fixed while working heaps. In fact we have people who tell us how Lucky we got such a nice dog and how lovely she is.

Leo was purchased by his vetted buyer from a breeder who ticked all her boxes. I bought him from the trading post. He was sort of broken, and still is... :rofl:

I will be asking breeders who have seen me and followed Sophie just to be kind enough to pick me without the crappy jumping thru hoops. If we are still deemed crap owners.... Then I will purchase from other sources, as I have the skills to work with those dogs.

No drama... But a breeder behind a screen will not tell me I won't have a dog or 6!

I dont see that this is the real issue.

Of course most people will make up their own minds about dog ownership. I doubt that my opinion as to a person's suitability (or not) will change their attitude about their own ability to raise and train a dog.

What IS a fact is that the breeder has the ultimate say regarding to whom they choose to sell their puppies.

Where people choose to look for their puppies is their right ..... they just need to portray the right attitude to be convincing that they can offer all that is needed for a dog that they are interesting in obtaining..... whatever the source..... be it breeder, pet shop, trading post, roadside stall, car boot in a parking lot etc etc.

I dont see that this is the real issue.

Of course most people will make up their own minds about dog ownership. I doubt that my opinion as to a person's suitability (or not) will change their attitude about their own ability to raise and train a dog.

What IS a fact is that the breeder has the ultimate say regarding to whom they choose to sell their puppies.

Where people choose to look for their puppies is their right ..... they just need to portray the right attitude to be convincing that they can offer all that is needed for a dog that they are interesting in obtaining..... whatever the source..... be it breeder, pet shop, trading post, roadside stall, car boot in a parking lot etc etc.

But if breeders want to get there dogs out there and the pure bred message, then They really need to judge each puppy buyers case as an Indiviual. Not with blaket statements.

By just blanketing every one who has a full time job or no colour bond fencing as I was once told... You rule out some good dog owners based in your limited experiences. Therefore it means people will source a dog from the trading post, or the boots of cars and pay up front to scammers.

Why not be more open minded and help people from where they are at?

Why not share with those with no doggie experience?

Me I'm lucky I grew up round farms and have seen more puppies born than most breeders and have even had to deal with those who didn't work out. No I couldn't shoot me, but I've had to take them to be done.