Scared Of Water

Guest hanko

Will he chase a ball into the shallows?

If you are happy to wait him out for a while I would just make regular visits down there. Maybe ask some friends along with or without other adult dogs that enjoy the water. Wade in yourselves, throw a frisbee around, have some fun. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is very unusual for a golden retriver to hate water! I also have a cocker spaniel who as a puppy was scared to go into the water. It just took alot of coaxing (food treats and encouragement), time and patience and eventually she went in the water when she was felt safe. Although I must say she is still a little reticent to go into the water sometimes and probably always will be.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hankodie

Update: I've been working on Hank's fear of water over the last few weeks and we've been making lots of progress! :cheer: Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions, I've taken all of them on board and it's helped so much.

We started out with the hose, I got him playing with a tiny trickle and eventually increased the amount of water, now his favourite thing ever is "fighting" with the hose :laugh:

He's also taken to the clam shell pool. He was still reluctant for weeks to put his paws in it but I started putting his favourite toys in there which he started fishing out. Eventually when he figured out that the pool was not out to get him he started putting his paws in and now when I fill the pool up he'll eagerly get in (though it's usually just his front paws but I suspect it's because he's too big for the pool now).

And the biggest thing has been the lagoon! I've been taking him every other day. Whoever mentioned that he might be scared of the sound was spot on - I think the splashing noise freaks him out for some reason. I've been taking him places where the water is calm and shallow and it's helped so much with his fear.

He finally decided to step in on his own with the help of 4 young boys who were coaxing him into the water :laugh: and yesterday I decided to throw a stick (his favourite) into the water and he chased after it without thinking! He'll happily wade in with or without me now. Sometimes he will get to the point where he realises he's not near the shore so he'll panic a little and run back. He also won't wade past a certain point so it's still a work in progress but I'm happy. Like I said I don't need him to completely love it but the fact that he's conquered a lot of his fear has been so great.

We can now have our Saturday morning picnic by the water without him being so scared :thumbsup: last Saturday he even went exploring for yabbies!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions :D

Here's a photo at the lagoon:

vep54h.jpg

And a video of him vs. the hose (excuse my annoying giggling :o)

Lol, love him trying to catch the water :p

congratulations Hank! He'll be a water baby before you know it.

Collie has started blowing bubbles in his shell pool to find his toys under the water and last week he decided to go duck diving for rocks in the yarra river. He's never really been afraid of water but at 6 years old he's still finding new ways to enjoy it

Guest hankodie

Collie has started blowing bubbles in his shell pool to find his toys under the water and last week he decided to go duck diving for rocks in the yarra river. He's never really been afraid of water but at 6 years old he's still finding new ways to enjoy it

Yup this is how Hank is enjoying the water at the moment, I will throw his toys in the clam shell pool and he will blow bubbles while trying to fish it out :laugh: sometimes he "accidentally" drops the toy back in the water so he can fish it out again :laugh:

Yep I suggested the lake :thumbsup: especially when it's out and you can walk a long way out in the shallows.

Well done Hankodie :)

Thanks HZ :thumbsup: I had no idea the water was that shallow all the way in, it was the perfect place to get him used to it.