Electric Fence Recommendations

Kajtek

Can anyone suggest a good electric fence for 2 labs living on a 2 acre block? The forum search seems to indicate that http://www.hiddenfence.com.au/ is a good option.

Also, what are the dos and don'ts post installation? I've read that some dog training is required. Is that so? May I please have some info on that.

Background:

My friends bought and moved to a new property (well fenced!). The dogs have now taken to wandering/visiting neighbors when the family is away at work/school. They do not scale the fence but dig, dig, dig and go off to explore the new area. My friends will not consider installing a kennel so e-fencing seems like the best option atm. BTW, the dogs are very well loved and cared for and are inside/outside dogs.

I bought a hotwire (electric fence) for my old 1 acre block. It worked a treat and both dogs learnt from one zap. It's currently in the garage so I will try and remember to look tomorrow for the brand. NB: this is like a cattle fence not an invisible boundary fence.

Friends in our village have the invisible fence one for their shepherd. It doesn't take long to train them.

Are these friends rural? If they have farm fencing then I don't think they can use a ping string.

Doesn't matter how well loved or looked after they are they are not safe getting out. What's the problem with a run if they stay when the family is home?

Thanks for the training suggestion.

No, the property is within the Greater Sydney Area and all city restrictions apply there.

The problem with a dog run is keen dislike to keeping their dogs in such a confined space. It's their opinion that I need to respect while trying to help with info on options.

They have locked the dogs in the swimming pool area today and I will find out how that went tomorrow :-)

Friends in our village have the invisible fence one for their shepherd. It doesn't take long to train them.

Are these friends rural? If they have farm fencing then I don't think they can use a ping string.

Doesn't matter how well loved or looked after they are they are not safe getting out. What's the problem with a run if they stay when the family is home?

Thanks Pers, kelpiecuddles and WreckitWhippet.

Pers,

The dogs dig rather than jumping the fence.

I think e-fencing would be needed for the small area. They could pour a lot of concrete to prevent digging but I am not sure that is an option.

Kelpiecuddles,

Nope, conflicts/chances of dispute with the RSPCA are not an option for them.

Alternatively, use a hot wire for a few weeks. That will be enough to teach the dogs. Then leave the wire up and remove the juice. It cannot be illegal to have a wire up if it isn't electrified. My dogs won't go near electric fence wire, hot or not. When it's installed near the ground to prevent digging it's not very conspicuous, and probably won't be reported.

Just make sure they use something like a square aviary type mesh not cheap chicken wire, the cheap chicken wire warps and becomes a pain in the arse with the mower, etc whereas if you pin the square mesh down nicely it will sit flat on the ground and you can just mow straight over it

Thank you so much for your help.

My friends bought e-fence solution suitable for the whole property (not sure what brand).

Hopefully that's the end of the the Lab-Explorer activities.

Fingers very crossed here.