• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

He sure is!

Maxie had his stitches out today and got a very good report. They said he is healing remarkably well.

I was a bit stressed out over the weekend because I felt a lump near the top of his incision, but it's just where the rib was cut when it was removed to get to the tumour site.

We've still got a few weeks of restricted activity ahead, no running or jumping, so I'll be camped out on the mattress in the lounge room with him for while yet. Though he can start going for on lead walks now which is great. So it's all looking good so far. :)

Edited by kayla1

He sure is!

Maxie had his stitches out today and got a very good report. They said he is healing remarkably well.

I was a bit stressed out over the weekend because I felt a lump near the top of his incision, but it's just where the rib was cut when it was removed to get to the tumour site.

We've still got a few weeks of restricted activity ahead, no running or jumping, so I'll be camped out on the mattress in the lounge room with him for while yet. Though he can start going for on lead walks now which is great. So it's all looking good so far. :)

I've been wondering how Maxie was progressing.

That's a very encouraging report. Maxie will be back to his old self in no time. You must be very relieved the surgery went so well.

Oh, so relieved!!

It's been a stressful time, made worse because I kept questioning myself and wondering if I was doing the right thing by Maxie - risks of major surgery vs risks of the sarcoma growing back more aggressively. I was feeling pretty horrible for quite a while.

Thank goodness we are past the worst of it now. So long as Maxie continues healing nicely then it's all good, and given the results were clear the chance of it recurring now is low.

• 1 year later...

Hard to believe we've passed the 12 month mark now since Maxie's surgery.

Very happy to say there's been no sign of the sarcoma returning and no problems with the biological SIS mesh used to replace the abdominal wall - no rejection or infection. Maxie's own tissue would have grown and replaced the mesh within several months of the surgery. So no loss of strength in the area.

He had restricted range of movement in his right hind leg for a while, because a lot of tissue and skin had been removed, but that improved over a few months and he was then back to full range of movement.

His right side feels different to touch, but physically he can do everything now that he could previously (and he loooves to run and jump...)

He was back to his usual self in such a short space of time after the surgery. It's amazing what can be done now, and how quickly they recover from major surgery. :)