Casual Obedience / Dog Sports

Hi All,

I searched "casual" and didn't get a hit on the forum. I'm after a casual class or group I can take Scottie to for dog spots. I'm based in the Marrickville area and don't mind travelling but not too far as he gets car sick after about 40 minutes (so Parramatta for Agility or Newington or Holsworthy for flyball isn't the best option).

I used to attend the Parramatta agility group (many years ago with a previous dog) and they were nice and casual - I'd like something like that again. Maybe teach both him and I the basics of flyball, do some very basic agility. We have a great obedience class where we do some jumps, tunnels and weaving but it's on a sunday morning and not always practical.

It does need to be casual and low stress as he is a senior and I don't 100% know how physically sound he is - I just want something fun for him to get some exercise and more importantly mental stimulation and I think he'd really like it.

Or maybe I just need to find a second / back up obedience class /provider - I noticed Pet O in Annandale runs classes - they might be a good choice coming into Winter as I assume they're indoors / in the store.

I'm not too worried about stress. I have had him vet checked but I do need to remember that he's a senior and I don't anything about his background. When i did beginners agility it was more just fun but maybe I'm romanticising it.

I'm really just looking for something casual where we can come and go, not let down a team and not be pushed to advance beyond beginners (unless he really takes to it). Certainly not looking to "compete".

I'm not too worried about stress. I have had him vet checked but I do need to remember that he's a senior and I don't anything about his background. When i did beginners agility it was more just fun but maybe I'm romanticising it.

I'm really just looking for something casual where we can come and go, not let down a team and not be pushed to advance beyond beginners (unless he really takes to it). Certainly not looking to "compete".

With such a sensible attitude, agility might be possible.

Is he a Scottie? What about seeing if he likes earth dog work??

With such a sensible attitude, agility might be possible.

Is he a Scottie? What about seeing if he likes earth dog work??

He he ... Nope. He's a foxie with a silly name :)

I don't even know what earth work is ... off for a google. :)

I just want to find another class / activity for us to do together. Towards the end of the year I work a lot of weekends and one sunday offering per week won't suit us.

Agility can be done low impact, we have had some low ability dogs do it veeeeeeeeeeeery slowly with their owners holding the collar and they still have that beaming look of achievement. We lower everything to ground level like jumps and let them take their time.

Flyball is never low impact. I refuse to do it at my school anyway I find it too high a risk sport anyway on the animals body.

I wish there were more fun, casual dog schools around in general. I don't like to compete but like to take the dogs out to dog school. With most of the clubs around here once you get to a certain level and don't want to compete you are kind of left without a class.

Agree with Jules. Informal, fun groups are sadly very thin on the ground.

A lot of people just want an activity they can do with their dog in their free time, Maybe they are taking a break from working full time, retired, made redundant - anything, they just want to get out of the house for a few hours.

A lot of people just want an activity they can do with their dog in their free time, Maybe they are taking a break from working full time, retired, made redundant - anything, they just want to get out of the house for a few hours.

Most of the affiliated clubs (with Dogs Victoria) that I know of could be regarded as "casual" in that they don't run structured courses of so many weeks duration, you just work your way up and get back what you put in..................plenty of natter time before and after and friendships there to be made...........however many people are time poor and to have the dog they want in the shortest time, they need structure and regularity...................you get what you make of it

Most of the affiliated clubs (with Dogs Victoria) that I know of could be regarded as "casual" in that they don't run structured courses of so many weeks duration, you just work your way up and get back what you put in..................plenty of natter time before and after and friendships there to be made...........however many people are time poor and to have the dog they want in the shortest time, they need structure and regularity...................you get what you make of it

None of the affiliated clubs in my area work like that Dragonwoman. They have structured courses. My club also has a fairly full on test. Once you get to a certain level they all move to trialling type classes. I've been going to an affiliated dog club for over 20 years btw and was an instructor. I've been hassled to compete in 3 different disciplines now and people just don't seem to get that I just want to go to club and have fun with my dog.

We ran Agility Classes - no pressure to competition, however the earlier classes were very much aimed at the correct way of training to the agility equipment. It wasn't just a "run over or through obstacles in whichever fashion" - this primarily for the safety of the dog. The secondary reason for this approach was so that if anyone did get the 'bug' and decided they wanted to look towards competition, their dogs were trained correctly for this purpose. Speed around the course was not the first point of focus. The "courses" (which of course comprised of appropriate equipment according to dog capability and experience) were structured - again, this was for 'flow' and also safety effect. But there was never any pressure towards competition work and everyone was welcome to participate and learn, regardless of their reasons or ambitions.

None of the affiliated clubs in my area work like that Dragonwoman. They have structured courses. My club also has a fairly full on test. Once you get to a certain level they all move to trialling type classes. I've been going to an affiliated dog club for over 20 years btw and was an instructor. I've been hassled to compete in 3 different disciplines now and people just don't seem to get that I just want to go to club and have fun with my dog.

That's the very general vibe I'm getting from google - Of course I also have a pdog who gets very car sick so long distance is out. I do know Parramatta is more casual but it's an hour from home and starts at 7pm on a friday so.... getting to Parra from the inner west on a friday night with a car sick dog is not my idea of fun.

Scotties behaviour and recall is good enough to be off leash in public but I certainly don't want to have to get to level 3 obedience before we can advance to agility class (a real example) and I don't think I'd live to see the day he gets to level 3.

Another club stopped emailing me when I asked about being a casual attendee.

I think I've been spoilt as my Obedience teacher is a pay as you go set up and I really like her.

Never mind - something will crop up. I'll ask the trainer when class goes back.

If you are talking about PICSI - they train agility on a Tuesday now http://www.picsi.org.au/

Sydney all breeds is in Concord

http://www.sabdtc.com/

Western Suburbs is in Homebush - they have a pet dog class which in the advanced classes looks like they get to do some agility equipment

http://westernsuburbsdogtraining.com/

Parra is probably out of the question full stop due to the motion sickness.

Homebush might be a go. Will look them up. thanks