Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

Looking for the usual brilliant DOL ideas please…

Next week in Adelaide the temperature during the day won't get below 40 degrees Monday to Friday with a high of 43 degrees on Thursday and the nights won't drop below the mid - high 20's until tomorrow week (Saturday).

I'm in a poorly cooled house-sit which is a nightmare on hot nights and we're all fairly heat intolerant.

I'm worried about the westies during the day while I'm at work - particularly my 14 year old Mac with his clipped but still thick UK coat.

I'm going to bite the bullet, stack up the credit card and put them all into air conditioned doggy day care on Tuesday and Thursday and they'll go to my mothers and hole up in her aircon with her on Friday (I might join them Thursday and Friday night even if I have to sleep on the couch!).

But concerned about how to keep them cool on Monday and Wednesday…

So apart from frozen treats out of the freezer which won't last a work day, how do others keep their dogs cool and happy for a work day in such horrendous conditions? Particularly old dogs?

TIA.

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they outside or inside?

I go back to work next week (typical that it hits when I am not home and ale to keep dogs in the cool) so tonight i have started soaking down under our couple of good shady trees. I will keep wetting that area every night for a good half hour to hour with a soaker hose. It stays in deep shade all day so my aim is to keep the soil cool. This way the dogs can get under it and have somewhere cool to lay and dig themselves a hollow if they want.

I will also have 2 clam shells out in different areas of the yard so there is always plenty of water and also always 1 in the shade.

I will freeze 2l water bottles and put these on their sack beds as well as having some frozen ice cream containers turned out for them to be able to lick/chew/play with.

Before going to work I will spend about a half an hour outside wetting down the whole pergola area. Luckily I am home by 3:30 and it doesn't get the sun until late afternoon. And while it won't stay wet for a huge amount of time this does cool the pavers for quite a while.

If they are inside and your house is not very cool - have you considered putting alfoil over the windows exposed to the sun if they do not have good shutters over them? I did it with 2 of ours that get direct sun last year when I had the puppies and was trying to keep the place cool during a heat wave and it made a massive difference. The house was dark but it was definitely cooler.

I would even do things like leave the bathroom open and shower door open - the floor of the shower will stay damp and cool for a few hours and give them a cool place to lay. Fans place somewhere they can't knock them over as even a breeze can be helpful. Frozen water bottles placed places they like to lay down.

Hope those ideas help. And I will be watching with interest for more ideas for my guys too.

Thanks kc and piper - the usual DOL brilliance. I'll go a retrieve a couple of the 2l bottles I've thrown out in the recycling in the last few days.

They have a doggy door which they can get out to a small brick courtyard which has some dirt beds in it… I'll damp it all down but the dirt beds are in the sun… gee that alfoil idea is a great one piper - thank you - I would never have thought of that in a million years… smile.gif

I am another who freezes 2 & 3 litre bottles for 24 hrs ..wraps them in a towel, and places them in teh coolest spot . homeart has coolmats single bed size for humans, with a smaller one ... the dogs might use them ..?

any breeze is better than none ....

if it is at all humid ..you must leave fans on . If not humid .. try making a tent out of wet/damp old doonas or blankets ....

:( :( ..thinking of you all... at least our guys know to dig burrows into shady wet sand , and stay immobile .. they keep beautifully cool that way :)

Edited by persephone

Thanks kc and piper - the usual DOL brilliance. I'll go a retrieve a couple of the 2l bottles I've thrown out in the recycling in the last few days.

They have a doggy door which they can get out to a small brick courtyard which has some dirt beds in it… I'll damp it all down but the dirt beds are in the sun… gee that alfoil idea is a great one piper - thank you - I would never have thought of that in a million years… smile.gif

OPSHOPS often have old sun proof curtains :)

3 ltr bottles last much longer than 2 ltr , if you can get them .

OPSHOPS often have old sun proof curtains :)

3 ltr bottles last much longer than 2 ltr , if you can get them .

The housemate uses 3l milk bottles… will see if I can snaffle a couple…smile.gif

I bought the Homeart mats last year. They loved them then but have not touched them again this year. I will put them in a shaded area though and they may want them next week when it is stinking hot.

The alfoil idea - I think I got from here. It was easy to do, and I might do them again myself just to help keep the house cool. Spray bottle of water, a rubber window cleaner thing and alfoil. Spray the window so it is damp, line the alfoil up at the top and then let the roll fall and use the window cleaner starting at the top working down to get it to stick. I did it on the outside of the windows and it lasted months. If done on the inside, it would last forever I think. The windows did need a good clean when it came off though.

We went through a heatwave last week and as our house has absolutely no insulation and no air con, it was a real struggle to keep the dogs cool.

We had fans running in every room, I bought some super cheap doona inners and soaked them in the bath, then laid them down, soaking wet on the floors for the dogs to lie on (luckily all hard floors here, so not a problem being wet).

I filled up our shub (shower tub bath thingy) with cold water and kept dunking the little dogs in it, and used the hose to wet down the big dogs and let them dry naturally, as evaporation is cooling.

At night I laid damp towels on top of the dogs so they could get to sleep. We got through it, but will be investing in aircon as soon as finances allow, even if it's just a portable or window unit - it's horrible to watch the dogs struggle with the heat and not be able to do a lot about it.

We used to have one of those plug in portable evaporative air cons that you fill with water, we used to put a bit of water in ours and then fill the rest with ice =awesome!

kc or anyone else - do you know if those portable evaporative coolers work well enough and quietly enough to be of any value in 40+ degree heat in a bedroom? I found this one at Bunnings - and its less than the price of two days of doggie daycare… thoughts? TIA

We went through a heatwave last week and as our house has absolutely no insulation and no air con, it was a real struggle to keep the dogs cool.

We had fans running in every room, I bought some super cheap doona inners and soaked them in the bath, then laid them down, soaking wet on the floors for the dogs to lie on (luckily all hard floors here, so not a problem being wet).

I filled up our shub (shower tub bath thingy) with cold water and kept dunking the little dogs in it, and used the hose to wet down the big dogs and let them dry naturally, as evaporation is cooling.

At night I laid damp towels on top of the dogs so they could get to sleep. We got through it, but will be investing in aircon as soon as finances allow, even if it's just a portable or window unit - it's horrible to watch the dogs struggle with the heat and not be able to do a lot about it.

Ash I'm sorry to hear that you had to work so hard to keep your guys cool - and your description is exactly what worries me here about next week… might bite the bullet and get a cooler...

We used to have one of those plug in portable evaporative air cons that you fill with water, we used to put a bit of water in ours and then fill the rest with ice =awesome!

kc or anyone else - do you know if those portable evaporative coolers work well enough and quietly enough to be of any value in 40+ degree heat in a bedroom? I found this one at Bunnings - and its less than the price of two days of doggie daycare… thoughts? TIA

Hmmm... if the bedroom was shaded and had windows open ..it would provide a cooling breeze, yes.

Evap coolers rely on sucking in hot dry air, and cooling it by passing it over wet pads...... so , if you have them going in an enclosed room ... and it has to recycle the air in that space it quickly becomes SO humid as to be very uncomfortable ..

evap coolers work best when there is a good inlet for fresh air, and another window to aid circulation ..and keep the effect like a nice cool breeze :)

A couple of large pedestal fans + wet towels works even better ... Hamlet & I both had the wet towel/fan bedtime ritual for many years .... that plus ice bricks did work ..

Pedestal fan for me ...abox fan for Hammie always ...