Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we had the high temperatures last week my lot spent most of their time on their cooler beds, I also had the fans on (until the power-cuts)

Here is one for sale on Gumtree WM---> http://www.gumtree.c...hion/1034934802

I have the el-cheapo brand (top piccie in link) and also one of the more expensive brand http://www.dogstobed.../coolingpetbeds

found these as well, don't know the price but they may be worth while (that woman certainly looks happy with hers) :laugh:

http://www.coolgelmat.com.au/

http://www.coolgelmat.com.au/find-a-store.html

Edited by Boronia

Thanks B- the cooling mat is a great idea - I've just found a new one from Snugglesafe who do the heat lads that I swear by - so will probably order a couple of those from eBay. The cool gel mat looks really good too and is easily available but very 'spensive.

We used to have one of those plug in portable evaporative air cons that you fill with water, we used to put a bit of water in ours and then fill the rest with ice =awesome!

kc or anyone else - do you know if those portable evaporative coolers work well enough and quietly enough to be of any value in 40+ degree heat in a bedroom? I found this one at Bunnings - and its less than the price of two days of doggie daycare… thoughts? TIA

We bought 1 similar a couple of years ago in desperation when our air con died in a heat wave and no one could get to us to fix it for days. They need to have good fresh air intake as peers said - so be put in front of an open window or something. Also, unless you can get home and refill it at lunchtime I don't think the wage in it would last all day. The colder the water the more effective they are so we made sure we kept water in the fridge and lots of trays of ice and would use cold water and ice in it to maximise the cooling.

Friday's going to suck :( Our place is being inspected and we can't leave the dogs in .

Any suggestions of somewhere I could take them for the day. Going to ask the vets on Monday if they can board for the day

Oh no :(

Got any family or friends that would have them for the day for you?

Pre air con I used to put the fan on in front of bowls of ice so it would blow cooler air over us. I know the ice wont last all day but perhaps something similar could work using frozen water bottles rather than ice cubes? That could last longer.

My suggestion too.

Friday's going to suck :( Our place is being inspected and we can't leave the dogs in .

Any suggestions of somewhere I could take them for the day. Going to ask the vets on Monday if they can board for the day

Oh no :(

Got any family or friends that would have them for the day for you?

Not that I can think of .

Pup is too young for kennels, so that's out too.

Can't come to work with either of us.

I meant it won't be as bad for pup, he's bred to be fairly tolerant of Aussie heat, but I am a little worried about Esky

http://www.holdfastdogcentre.com.au/page5.htm

they are on facebook and watching some of their videos and pics the dogs love it there

I like those portable evap coolers ( on wheels and easy to move )

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/mistral-10l-evaporative-cooler-remote-control/

bunnings have them also and reasonable prices

it has 7 1/2 hours timer on it and can cool down pretty well

I also have fans going in rooms the dogs decide to lay in when it gets really hot like what coming up

I also like the box fans as can sit safely on a table top or bench top where dogs cant reach it , also with timers

I also use a damp hand towel and lay on them when they laying down and they dont seem to mind that

I have a clam shell with water outside in the shade in case they need it

I do have a window aircon but because shape of house it doenst get to all rooms , so then use fans to push it to other rooms

I have a girl from Tassie , so will see how she handles this heat coming up and other girl has cancer and it knocking her around allready :(

stay cool and safe everyone with what's coming up

Edited by Tara and Sam

We're lucky in that our house stays nice and cool...as long as it is shut up, I.e. no open doors or windows to let the heat in and all shutters closed. It is the best trick I learnt from my parents. Upstairs because our room is in the attic, the heat can be stifling, even with the blinds and doors shut. Before we got our air con, we'd used the cool towel (like other people have suggested) and put a fan on the dogs. Just make sure the dogs can move away in case they get too cold.

The dogs are inside all the time and when it's really hot will lie downstairs in 22 degree temps on nice cool wooden floors.

Another thought - if you have a verandah/pergola you could get 1 of those misting kits and a timer so it cycles on and of keeping an area cool and damp.

I can;t find the kit on Bunnings page, but this is the timer http://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-electronic-tap-timer-misting-system-co1709_p3430071 I am now thinking of popping over to see if I can find 1 for our pergola... I like the sound of that timer, it sounds like it can be set to give 5 mins of mist every hour.

That's pretty much what I have, we bought some cheap irrigation hose and mister fittings from bunnings and put them up in a loop around the patio with wire, that runs to a tap timer which goes for five minutes at a time, on hot days I usually set it to every two hours and I hang white cotton sheets around the patio so that they get wet when the mister goes and keep it cool for the next two hours with a bit of evaporative cooling.

At night I laid damp towels on top of the dogs so they could get to sleep.

This will keep the heat in & incidentally is the worst thing you can do for a dog suffering from heatstroke. The dogs are better off laying on wet towels or having a wet bandana placed around the back of the neck to keep the head & brain cool.

Hi Everyone - thanks very much for your posts and suggestions - so many will be brilliant when I get back into my own home.

I have investigated a number of solutions for me at night and the westies during the day. For SA DOLers, I headed to Mile End Bunnnings first - not one evaporative cooler - there's been a run on them and apparently they've not had any since Thursday. So went next door to the Good Guys in the Homemaker Centre there - and the nice man there said if you want 'cool' in the sort of heat we are due for next week then the evaporative coolers will be next to useless.

Apparently portable refrigerative is the way to go and thats out of the question cost wise. So I stood in front of the display of fans and decided to go for Perse's low-tech solution. I bought a 30cm desk fan to go right next to my bed and after I assembled it at home (grrrr!) I put a face washer across it - it fits perfectly between the clips - and will damp down the face washer on the extreme nights.

Then to PetBarn - bought a dog cooling mat for the westies to sleep on - or I might sleep on it myself! Enquired at two bedding shops about the cool gel mats for hoomans - and the very nice lady at Snooze said they hadn't been as successful as they'd hoped, they only had a very small one left and she basically put me off it. They were pretty expensive too - the very small one they had left was $79 eek1.gif. So I thanked her very much and backed away...

So I think for the westies on the days they are home it will be a combination of the cooling mat, frozen 3 litre bottles and ice treats, and for us all at night it will have to be fans and face washers.

Then for the other days it will be a combination of doggy daycare, and westie-sitting with my very kind mother and possibly one other friend.

And hopefully that will get us through to the cool change next Saturday.

Hope everyone stays safe and cool. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Please be careful if you're relying on fans and evap coolers to keep your pets from overheating . A few years back when in the middle of a heatwave (Black Sat) I heard of a lady who left her 2 SWFs out under her pergola with fans on. There was a power outage because of the heat and the fans stopped. Her dogs where found dead when she came home from work that night. :(