The Right Thing When It Might Be The Wrong Dog

emigremlin

I got a gorgeous 8 month old Welsh Springer Spaniel (from a breeder he was supposed to be a show dog but didn't make it) at the start of the holidays.

Bonded almost immediately and were having a great time learning together.

Wanting to be sure he would be OK when I had to go back to work (knowing he had grown up with many other dogs) I left him alone for short periods gradually getting to be longer every day.

I went back to work this week (taking the added precaution of getting someone to visit at lunch).

On Tuesday there was a letter on my door from the neighbour saying my dog is howling all day and she can't sleep (she is a nurse and works nights)

So I set up a recording and sure enough you would think he was being tortured!

He stayed with my parents Wednesday and Thursday I borrowed another dog to see if that would help, it helped a little but there were still periods of the most pitiful and loud howling.

Friday I get a call from the council about my 'barking dog', and they want to know what I am going to do about it by Monday.

So my question to you all do I take him back to the breeder, they will take him and I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find another home for him he is a cute friendly biddable dog even if he isn't quite a 10 week old pup.

Or do I hire a behaviourist, seriously modify my schedule, call in all my favours, and possibly cause him more pain through desensitisation and counter conditioning?

Returning to the breeder is giving up when the going gets hard. The behaviour has to be addressed as it is just going to happen in a new home too and the dog does not deserve to be bounced around.

Contact a GOOD behaviourist to work on the separation anxiety, speak to your neighbour about what you are doing and also the council, set up recording for each day so you can see whether a) it's working and b) to counter any further complaints.

I have to say as a nurse who works night shift I would not be very tolerant at all. I'd give you a week at the most. Night shift really screws you up and then not to be able to sleep and then be expected to be on your game while looking after patients, yeah it's not easy. Talk to the breeder. As Nekhbet says it's not going to be a quick fix if the dog has never lived alone before.

I also think you should talk to the breeder. To my mind it would be easier on everyone and particularly the dog if returned to the breeder. It may be that all the training in the world is not going to fix your problem and then the dog ends up having to be rehomed - or worse - after an extended period of time with you. I'm not saying you should not attempt to sort out the issue but by speaking with the breeder perhaps something can be worked out between you. If it is not going to work out then IMO it is better to return the dog ASAP so he can be settled elsewhere.

What Airedaler said, made sense to me. I've had 2 dogs with separation anxiety & got splendid assistance with handling the problem from a bahaviorist vet. Both had full access to the house.

The training taught them to be left alone .... which they never really had been before, coming from busy, well-run 'show' kennels. ( I've had other dogs from same backgrounds, who didn't develop separation anxiety.)

The first one, a sheltie, ripped up soft furnishings to show her demand. But she didn't make noises, like barking & howling which would have annoyed neighbours.

That meant I could put the training into place, & during her learning period she wasn't annoying neighbours. The training ... like all training ... doesn't have success instantly. The learning is gradual over a few weeks (in the sheltie's case).

In your dog's case, you don't have the luxury of a learning period like this, because noise disrupts a shiftworker's sleep.

The second one, a tibbie, showed her demand for company by howling & barking. But most of the neighbours were at work all day. And the next door neighbours also owned a tibbie, were home & cooperated during the learning period. Unless you have neighbour's willing to be patient while learning kicks in, you're faced with a real problem. It could be an impossibility to ask for a period of patience from a shiftworker.

(Yes, both the sheltie & the tibbie came good with the training.)

Edited by mita

Pretty normal behaviour you'll most likely going to get with any dog you take on at least initially. Your dog is most likely used to being with company and so understandable is upset when left alone.

Seperation training here: http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/separation_anxiety_seperation_training.pdf

Usually giving the dog access to the house will stop many noise problems.

If you don't feel you can work with the dog in the time frame your neighbour/council have given you then it's a good idea to buzz your breeder.

He has had access to the house the whole time (and doesn't destroy anything).

From the very start I have been making departures and arrivals low key.

I rang the breeder and asked if they had any ideas and they didn't. They did offer to take him back.

I made initial contact to a local behaviourist vet and the response was treatment was possible and would take months, might never work and ongoing management might be required.

I am coming to think that it would be easier for the dog if he could find a new home where there are people home more of the time or which has one or more existing dogs.

Just wanted to check I wasn't overreacting in ether direction.

Try a dap (Adaptil) collar - sometimes these help for short term management while you implement longer term strategies.

also - radio on, crate/confine to small room, exercise/training before going - you probably know most of the tricks to try already!

Good luck.

As someone who has an adopted dog with separation anxiety I would advise to return to the breeder. Quite frankly it is not worth the distress to you or the dog. Either the breeder will have to keep the dog or find a better fit for it elsewhere.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but this situation can be heartbreaking for all concerned and the longer you leave it the harder it is.

This is a huge change for your dog and chances are he just needs a few days to get used to his new "normal". The Council's certainly not cutting you any slack, considering your dog wasn't even at the house for two days.

I got Andy when she was two - she came from a lovely breeder and like yours she obviously wasn't used to being alone. When I went back to work she howled for about 3 days but the neighbours were understanding and all looked over the fence and told her she'd be OK. After 3 days she settled and got used to being on her own.

When I got Dayre at 9 months, he had the company of Andy but again a big change to his life. This time I kept them inside during the day as there was a new house being built next door. My neighbours told me he barked (that high pitched bark) intermittently for about 5 days, then settled. At least being inside this time, the noise was a bit muffled.

Are you able to do a week of half days - hopefully things would settle down over that period. Perhaps you could have a chat with your neighbour with a view to agreeing that you'll only work afternoons for a week. That way, at least she's guaranteed peace and quiet in the mornings.

This is a huge change for your dog and chances are he just needs a few days to get used to his new "normal". The Council's certainly not cutting you any slack, considering your dog wasn't even at the house for two days.

Are you able to do a week of half days - hopefully things would settle down over that period. Perhaps you could have a chat with your neighbour with a view to agreeing that you'll only work afternoons for a week. That way, at least she's guaranteed peace and quiet in the mornings.

The dog has been at the house longer then two days and would you wish to be treated by a nurse who has only had 3 or 4 hrs sleep?

The OP is trying to do the right thing but you (generic) do need to consider everyone that is being affected by this

As someone who has an adopted dog with separation anxiety I would advise to return to the breeder. Quite frankly it is not worth the distress to you or the dog. Either the breeder will have to keep the dog or find a better fit for it elsewhere.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but this situation can be heartbreaking for all concerned and the longer you leave it the harder it is.

I agree with Rosetta, it's very stressful to deal with a dog with sep anx and I think it is also one of the hardest things to cope with especially once the neighbours have complained.

WSS are a working breed and young dogs also need to be kept busy, you simply can't do it when you are at work all day. It's the reason I only take older dogs, young ones have been playing when I've been out and I've had complaints from the neighbours too - they were fosters and got rehomed shortly after the complaint but it was very stressful.

I'd advocate returning him now before the behaviour gets to be a habit.

Edited by dogmad