Clipping Of Front Dew Claws

Hi there, I am just a member of the public that occasionally keeps an eye on these forums and I was hoping to get some advice about a dog grooming issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My dog’s front dew claws need to be clipped as they are getting a bit long. The trouble is he is large dog (35kg) and is VERY foot shy and groomers always have trouble trying to do it.

I took him to the vet recently and they could not do them as he got too upset. He was not aggressive, but just became really scared as soon as he saw the clippers and even with a vet nurse helping the vet, he would continue to pull his feet away from them.

They have recommended sedating him in order to clip the nails. I am a bit worried about this though. I don't like the thought of putting him under for a seemingly simple procedure.

Can you tell me if this is common or is there an alternative that we should look at. We live in East Doncaster in Melbourne.

Thanks again for your time

Can I ask have you tried doing his nails from behind? My basset gets very upset when we try to do her nails but we have found a technique that works. I sit in front of her and put her head squashed in to my chest and hold her around the shoulders so she feels safe and 'hugged and can't turn her head to see what is happening, then the vet gets the clippers out wile she can't see and lifts each of her feet towards the back, like you would do clipping a horses hooves. She still doesn't like it but we can get them done this way whereas trying to do them from the front is impossible.

Just thought I'd explain our method in case it's something that might be worth a try for you. It's definitely a 2-3 person job for me so I pay the vet and I assist.

When they said sedate, are you sure they meant 'general' ie putting him under or were they perhaps referring to light sedation ie giving him a sedative such as ace, Valium etc.

If it just a sedative, I'd do it. It means less stress for him and you and his nails trimmed. I'd seriously doubt they would be suggesting anything stronger to trim nails anyway.

Edited by ~Anne~

I'd be trying a Dremel - a lot less traumatic for many dogs. If it's done little and often, you should be able to do it yourself.

Failing that, mild sedation wil be less traumatic for the dog and safer for the person doing the nails. If sedation is to be used, then it should only be done at the vets.

Can I ask have you tried doing his nails from behind? My basset gets very upset when we try to do her nails but we have found a technique that works. I sit in front of her and put her head squashed in to my chest and hold her around the shoulders so she feels safe and 'hugged and can't turn her head to see what is happening, then the vet gets the clippers out wile she can't see and lifts each of her feet towards the back, like you would do clipping a horses hooves. She still doesn't like it but we can get them done this way whereas trying to do them from the front is impossible.

Just thought I'd explain our method in case it's something that might be worth a try for you. It's definitely a 2-3 person job for me so I pay the vet and I assist.

Hi there,

We have tried various ways to distract him ie through treats etc while someone 'sneaks up' (so to speak) to clip the nails but he tends to catch onto things after the first attempt and doesn't fall for it again :-)

We haven't specifically tried the method you suggested so when we go back to the vet next week we'll see if they can give that a go. Hopefully that might work.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

When they said sedate, are you sure they meant 'general' ie putting him under or were they perhaps referring to light sedation ie giving him a sedative such as ace, Valium etc.

If it just a sedative, I'd do it. It means less stress for him and you and his nails trimmed. I'd seriously doubt they would be suggesting anything stronger to trim nails anyway.

Hi there,

My understanding was that it was going to be a general. They gave us instructions not to feed him after 6pm the previous day and limit his water intake in the morning. But I will check with the vet to be sure and ask if a sedative would do the job.

Thanks again for your advice

Like HW I too would try a Dremel or similar grinder. These can be bought very cheaply at hardware stores often sold as Hobby Grinders. Dremels are top of the range so quite expensive. However, by using this type of tool you actually push the nail quick back and are far less likely to make it bleed as can easily happen when using clippers. Another method is to use a file (I used a coarse cross cut (bastard) file) or even glue some coarse sandpaper on to a piece of wood and use that. This may take longer than clipping or using the motorised grinders but with a regular and persistent effort you will win.

The dogs do not seem to react the same way to filing as they do with clipping. Just make sure you hold the nail firmly with the hand you are not filing with so it does not wriggle around.

In my experience for some reason I am not able to fathom Vets do not like to cut nails and often find an excuse not to.

I'd be trying a Dremel - a lot less traumatic for many dogs. If it's done little and often, you should be able to do it yourself.

Failing that, mild sedation wil be less traumatic for the dog and safer for the person doing the nails. If sedation is to be used, then it should only be done at the vets.

Thanks very much for that information, Haredown Whippets and Airedaler. I will look into that.

Thanks again

Edited by stathipaxinos

The dogs do not seem to react the same way to filing as they do with clipping. Just make sure you hold the nail firmly with the hand you are not filing with so it does not wriggle around.

In my experience for some reason I am not able to fathom Vets do not like to cut nails and often find an excuse not to.

I think its because there is no pressure on the nail as there is with guillotine ciippers.

One of my Whippets will scream and bite ordinary clippers but will tolerate the Dremel. Just.

I also think its easier on the dog if you learn to do this yourself. Vet surgeries put a lot of dogs into stress mode just taking them in the door.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Desensitize? It can take some time and while you're working on his dislike sedating and trimming might be a good idea, but long term it's probably better to teach the dog that getting nails done isn't going to harm him. Get him used to having the clippers, dremel or whatever other tool you choose to use being close to him and work your way closer with lots of praise and treats, trying not to cross threshold. There should be plenty of videos available for this, a clicker can be awfully helpful too.

Edited by Hockz

Mary Lowe, a renowned whippet breeder showed this way in her book and it worked for me. Try standing in a similar way to a farrier trimming a horses' hooves. have the dog facing one way and you stand facing his tail, then pick up his front foot, ugh, I'm not explaining it well. Like this.

My link

Also, although it's slower, try walking him on abrasive surfaces like concrete footpaths or gravel roads.

Edited by Kirislin

Also, although it's slower, try walking him on abrasive surfaces like concrete footpaths or gravel roads.

Won't help with dew claws :laugh:

I have one who won't tolerate a dremel and will only have the clippers, I don't think she likes the sensation of the grinding. The other one doesn't care about nails being trimmed with anything as long as the treats keep coming!!

I used kikopups method of getting my dogs to relax for nail clipping. It did take a while and requires patience.

http://youtu.be/LHgBvnQ71ss

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will follow up on the information you have given me and hopefully we can find a suitable solution for him.

dancinbcs, he does not like any of his nails being worked on - or his feet as a whole for that matter. If a blower is used to dry his feet after he's had a wash, it looks as though he is doing a dance on a hot tin roof :-)

However, it is only the dew claws that are problematic because the others are kept to a reasonable length from the wear from the cement in the backyard and on walks etc

Thanks again everyone

No suggestions that haven't been made but if the dog needs to be given a GA to trim the dew claws, I would have them removed completely as it is going to be an ongoing problem. The other issue as he gets older and is less active, may be that the other nails will need trimming as well.

I currently have a 10 year old who like several of my oldies before him, has suddenly decided he will not allow me to trim his nails any more and becomes so distressed that he hyperventilates. I managed to trim them well a few weeks ago while the vet had him knocked out for something else but we are back to how to maintain them now. He used to let me dremel them, but suddenly became frightened of that, so we went back to nail clippers and he has been fine for a couple of years but not now so I feel you pain with this issue.