A Hypothetical Question For Breeders

kelpiecuddles

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell a pup for breeding to a person without a breeders prefix as explained in the first post?

• Absobloodylutely not!
    • No
    • Probably not
    • Maybe
    • Yes

True and I guess having no disqualifying lower height could make things interesting too. I'd still be aiming for 14 inches regardless, seems like dicing with disaster favouring animals right on the cusp of being at a disqualifying height. (ETA: Because someone is sure to pick holes - I mean consistently breeding larger dogs I don't mean avoiding an amazing and totally worth using dog at the upper end of the height range)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True and I guess having no disqualifying lower height could make things interesting too. I'd still be aiming for 14 inches regardless, seems like dicing with disaster favouring animals right on the cusp of being at a disqualifying height.

it's not disqualifying here though. But yes easier to be a fraction under.

I don't know if you are still checking in with this thread minimax but if you are and you read this, I've been thinking about your park basset and wondered how old it is? Josie used to step on her ears commonly as a puppy/youngster but as an adult it's not something she does as her ears simply don't reach that far, otherwise I wonder whether the one you see has especially long ears :p

I don't know if you are still checking in with this thread minimax but if you are and you read this, I've been thinking about your park basset and wondered how old it is? Josie used to step on her ears commonly as a puppy/youngster but as an adult it's not something she does as her ears simply don't reach that far, otherwise I wonder whether the one you see has especially long ears :p

lol I just got home and was skimming. Yep he's youngish. Looks like he needs to grow into his ears, he's adorable :laugh:

Ah that would explain it then, she did used to get a few scrapes on her ears from claws as a pup, but definitely not an issue for a basset bashing through the bush, in fact the loose skin on a basset is by design, they should have enough loose skin that in the even of being poked by something like a stick the skin should roll around and off the stick rather than puncturing :)

I remember as a very small pup she'd go flat on her face frequently due to stepping on her ears LOL

It really depends on the person. I would probably go co-own until the health testing is completed. At least to initially ensure it is done.

I have sold a bitch to a supposed friend and fellow breeder only to be ripped off, they did no health testing and then they had the bitch disposed of after they bred her, with no option to get her back etc. then bad mouthed the dog and me.

As for prefix and needing a bitch: why go through all the time and expense getting a prefix before you can get something to breed? ANKC will not allow bitches to be bred for at least 12 months to 18 months. And depending on person , they may not wish to breed until bitch even older.

So I can see why a person may hold off until they get something first. The person may also be happy to breed said bitch physically but it will be bred under the initial breeders prefix.

I can understand hesitations from breeders who own popular breeds involved in BYB rings. But at some point, we as a general whole need to start trusting someone new to the breed. If said person also has been a very responsible pet owner previously, that is favorable.