O M G! Calendula Tea Rinse

I would be inclined to use a fresh brew for each as the used portion could carry contamination which you don't wish to pass to the other.

No such thing as a silly question, other than the one which is not asked.

Agreed .

Erny/Steve - would you recommend I wash them with the Calendula shampoo/conditioner (thanks Steve for the samples!) first and then tea sponge or just tea sponge for now?

They did have baths with a sensitive shampoo last weekend before I did the ACV sauce bottle trick so they are pretty clean.

The less you have to bath them the better so unless you think they need it go Calendula only.

Erny - I can now understand a bit of how you felt --- I am trying hard to convince a couple of people to make a brew .. do as I do - have some in a squirt/spray bottle in teh fridge - and use on whosever's skin needs it , anytime!

...but...but.. it says it's to DRINK ..

It smells ...

and how is THAT supposed to work?

Put it on those scratches on my arms? huh?

*sigh*

and I will reiterate ... this stuff is ideal for 'personal' use , on teh go /when in a hurry or whatever ..instead of expensive wipes :) I just keep some soaked paper towel or facewasher cool ... :)

Frustrating isn't it ? There is a general trend toward going for chemicals and drugs before they try the alternatives rather than the other way around .

I get crazy about it with my kids. I have a 20 year old who went the first 18 years of his life without anti biotics .He turns 18 and gets a sore throat which ordinarily I would have treated and knocked over quickly but he is a big boy now and an apprentice and decides he wants a day off so the only way to do that is to get a doctors script - so doctor gives him anti biotics even though she told him it was mild and probably a virus .So kid ends up in hospital - allergic to penicillin. Two days ago I sat with him all day in hospital on drips bleeding from the bowel - side effect of some other anti biotic which was given to him because he had an ingrown toenail. Then they want to treat the side effect with different anti biotics and keep him in for two or three days! After much debating with the doctors I was allowed to bring him home with no antibiotiocs on the condition that if he wasnt heaps better within 24 hours or if the pain got worse I was to take him straight back . When we got home I fed him Slippery elm with honey and probiotics - miraculous recovery .GRRRRRRR.

Steve and Erny. Your advice and comments about Calendular are very informative and very much appreciated by those of us who are beginners on the Calendular road. I'm learning every time a comment is made by either of you about this and taking all your info on board.

Steve - ..and what lesson did Mr 20 yr old learn ? :) Hope he's all OK now .

He still isn't 100% but getting there - I had him as passenger in the car for 60ks and I nagged and ranted all the way home -told him about the lessons he should have learned and what he already knew and had forgotten why its important for him to remember because one day he will have kids of his own.

He gets to 20 almost 21 ,never had an alcoholic drink, never had a smoke or touched drugs but gets pumped full of crap he's advised to take from a doctor that has almost killed him twice when he didnt need it either time. Not happy here not at all and Im watching him sip Calendula tea without a complaint - or else.

Steve and Erny. Your advice and comments about Calendular are very informative and very much appreciated by those of us who are beginners on the Calendular road. I'm learning every time a comment is made by either of you about this and taking all your info on board.

Thank you, cavNrott. And thanks goes to my dog "Mandela" as well, as he has and still continues to teach me a mammoth amount of learning that I possibly would never have turned my attentions to, if it were not for him. I also think I should thank my previous dog "Kal" (bhcs) as well, as it was through her illness and my too easily (I now believe) thwarted efforts to find out what was indeed wrong (in time to be able to remedy it) with her which ultimately brought her to her demise. After Kal and when I got Mandela and recognised his issues, my ambition and determinations were that I would not be scared to think outside the square, I would not allow panic to have me treat him conventionally (and blindly) in more than a hurry than I needed to but rather to research and ask questions first, and I will not quit to try to find out …… "why". I trust my dog and what he has to tell me, and that teaches me all the more.

Edited by Erny

Fantastic thread :) so much information and advice, I am definitely going to get some calendula for all of us. It makes so much sense.

When my oldest was little she developed a tiny red spotted rash over her torso so I took her to a doctor who said it was eczema and gave me a quarter zone cream. I bought the cream though it just didn’t feel right so I called a naturopath.

He asked me over the phone if she was constipated, I had noticed that she had been. He suggested lots of water and diluted prune juice and a couple of other things which I did, the rash was gone the next day (and the cream went in the bin).

Natural remedies are amazing :)

As per Nic.B - My elderly Mum was experiencing a re-occurring, very itchy rash as well. Took to Doctors and cortisone cream prescribed. I didn't use it much but when I did, it didn't make a difference anyway.

Hair-DNA test and subsequent appropriate herbal supplements and rash has gone and not returned. Rash related to kidney and liver function which was improved through the supplements.

We have to stop stopping our search at "symptom" level, and learn to look past that.

Edited by Erny

I'm no expert on this, but I think I'd be inclined to skip the cream and just use Calendula Tea rinse as I suspect the latter would be more inclined to not only cleanse and stop bacteria, but also assist in keeping the pores open to clear.

Just my guess, but I'm sure Steve (Julie "Shalarm") would have more info.

Thanks Erny. I was also wondering if you or Steve know of anyone who has successfully used it to treat psoriasis?

ETA: I keep thinking of more questions.. lol. With treating acne, would you recommend using a normal cleanser first (currently MooGoo oil cleanser) and a moisturiser (also MooGoo), or just using the tea on its own? If just the tea, would that cleanse properly even with really oily skin?

Thank you!!

I've only just begun to use Calendula as at least a 'part' treatment for Mum's psoriasis. I have been using "MooGoo's" lotion designed for use with psoriasis up until now. It has helped Mum's skin and even some other age-related odd skin growths quite a bit. Without looking, I can't remember what it comprises of, but I quite like the "MooGoo" range of lotions.

If it is psoriasis of the scalp - Mum copped that badly and I've really attained great improvement with another couple of products we got via a Skin Care Clinic. If you want the names of these, let me know.

You can use oats as a non soap cleanser - then rinse with Calendula tea as an astringent and then use the calendula cream. My 17 year old raves over this for acne and several people show good results for eczema and psoriasis - and even nappy rash. The Calendula cream is a really light cream and has been formulated with an aqueous base so it wont clog up the skin.

I finally got around to washing all three dogs today! I did the handful in a stocking thing, let it steep in a litre of boiling water in a plastic tub then added 4 litres of cold water that had previously been boiled and stored for camping. I also chucked a sponge in. I did the washing on the lawn so we watered the dry patches at the same time. I sponged the cleanest one first, then baldy and then the long haired and poured the remainders of the tub water on the long haired too. We then played out in the sun for half an hour until they were all dry enough to come back in the house. So right there I saved about 5 towels worth of dog drying and didn't have to clean down the bath, pull hair from the drain or even wipe down the walls from where everyone shook. I was also moderately dry for a change! Plus our bald girl is not a fan of water so there was no running water for her to worry about and we just held them all gently with our hands and legs - no tying up even. It took about 3 minutes to do the medium dogs and about 5 to do the bigger one.

Now they are dry our baldy girl's skin looks very clean and she hasn't been scratching or nibbling at it and there are no red areas. The pied one is a very crisp white colour and the long haired girls dark coat is very glossy. They all smell neutral.

The only negative to the set up I used is that their paws didn't get washed and if I had've sponged those they would've got muddy. Next time I might wash on the concrete so I can sponge them too. All in all, very happy and tonight will tell if it has been good for Tempeh's itchies. She seems to heat up while she sleeps and get all itchy so I wont be able to tell until overnight whether this has had a positive effect on that issue. If it does I will be able to use it as a yardstick for when she needs her next rinse!

Ordinary oats are good - better if you put them in a processor to grind them down smaller so its more powdery.

Before applying an oatmeal scrub clean your skin with lukewarm to warm water or a warm, damp wash cloth

Even better is to take a hot shower or a steam bath to clean and open up your pores. Put some oatmeal in a bowl and add enough warm water to make a paste

Gently rub and exfoliate in circular motions from top to toe, be careful around the eye area

Let it stay on for about 10-15 minutes; then rinse it off with lukewarm water and end with a splash of cold. Pat your skin dry with a towel; tone with calendula tea and apply calendula cream.

If you have skin problems all over or for a wash rather than a scrub just put a handful in a stocking or similar wet it up and rub it in.

You can buy soap with calendula or oatmeal but problem is its still soap and thats something you want to try and stay away from

We also do a goats milk lotion with Calendula oil too which has had some good results.

The only negative to the set up I used is that their paws didn't get washed and if I had've sponged those they would've got muddy. Next time I might wash on the concrete so I can sponge them too. All in all, very happy and tonight will tell if it has been good for Tempeh's itchies. She seems to heat up while she sleeps and get all itchy so I wont be able to tell until overnight whether this has had a positive effect on that issue. If it does I will be able to use it as a yardstick for when she needs her next rinse!

If I want to wash my dog's feet only, I brew the tea and put it in a used but empty (washed out) butter container (my dog is a large breed, so a smaller container for the smaller dogs would be better - less tea needed) and have him stand in it for a few moments or so, one foot at a time. A quick pat to take the excess wet (especially between the toes) away and voila!!

Glad everything else went well. And I like the "neutral" smell. Something fresh and unmasked about it. :)

If I want to wash my dog's feet only, I brew the tea and put it in a used but empty (washed out) butter container (my dog is a large breed, so a smaller container for the smaller dogs would be better - less tea needed) and have him stand in it for a few moments or so, one foot at a time. A quick pat to take the excess wet (especially between the toes) away and voila!!

Glad everything else went well. And I like the "neutral" smell. Something fresh and unmasked about it. :)

Excellent idea about the feet - will try that next time. And we had no licking and scratching last night from Tempeh. :thumbsup: They all feel lovely and soft too!

I posted about my experience on my FB page and a couple of friends are keen to try it too. I think lots of people are keen to use more natural products on their animals as well as themselves.

Thank you for a fantastic thread!

Excellent idea about the feet - will try that next time. And we had no licking and scratching last night from Tempeh. :thumbsup: They all feel lovely and soft too!

I posted about my experience on my FB page and a couple of friends are keen to try it too. I think lots of people are keen to use more natural products on their animals as well as themselves.

U beauty!!!!

U beauty!!!! If you want to have any sales for referrals from your face book page paid to your rescue group from my website say so and Il allocate a discount code for you as I have done for Seniors and Silky rescue.

Julie

Edited by Steve

This is fantastic!! I've wanted for a long time for people to turn to the use of Calendula Tea and see if they too can provide relief for their dogs' skin ailments, avoiding potentially unnecessary antibiotics and cortisone. I am stoked that this thread was made and that it has attracted the following that it has, and that so many people have tried it and become amazed at the effective results. Yay for so many dogs who would be sighing with relief and whose health is not otherwise knocked about by side effects to the aforementioned drugs. These aforementioned drugs have their place, mind ….. but if they can be effectively avoided then all the better for our dogs. Whoot whoot!!

Also, great offer Julie!! Generous to a fault, as you are, and what a great cause. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erny