Zig Is Having Some Sort Of Seizures

Staffyluv

Staffyluv, the behaviour after the seizures is called the post ictal phase. Monte would become manic between seizures and then, after the last one, he was manic for a while and then slowed to restlessness until he was finally exhausted (he and I both!) and went back to sleep. He would crash into walls and be very disoriented.

I've heard of other dogs becoming aggressive post ictal and others having the post ictal phase last literally for days.

Every dog who suffers seizures is very different. It's like pregnancy and birth, no two are the same.

Hi staffyluv, I'm sorry you're going through this with Zig. They always keep us on our toes, don't they?

Casper started having seizures at the age of 3. The vet wanted to "wait and see" whether this was temporary but after 6 months the seizures were getting closer and more frequent. We put him on 100mg Pb twice daily which stopped his seizures for about 3 years. For the first two weeks he was ataxic, unable to walk in a straight line and falling over but that settled and he was back to normal. His seizures started up again when he slipped going through his dog-door and panicked, he was half in, half out the door lying on his side. It was not fun trying to push a seizing dog through a dog door!! His seizures became frequent again so we doubled the Pb dose. The seizures continued and we added Potassium Bromide (200mg twice daily) to his routine. He has now been seizure free for about 6 years.

When he first started on the Pb at age 3, I also started giving him milk thistle tablets for his liver. His liver has only now started showing signs of "wear" which is not bad after 9 years and for a 12 year old dog.

After a seizure, Casper would pace frantically for hours, looking very confused. My vet suggested I give him valium (5mg) every hour until he settled.

Good luck, I hope you get on top Zig's seizures quickly.

I think deep down, I was hoping someone would come in and say - no way are those symptoms related to seizures (juvenile, I know)..

But after 6 years with a dog with cancer, I was really hoping this one would just cruise along - not the hand we are dealt, I'm afraid..

I am also sad for him..

It certainly sounds like all dogs are different with the seizures they have and how they react at different stages..

Thanks all, I will pull my sooky socks up and get on with it now.

After dealing with Boof's ongoing mast cells, I'd rather epilepsy any day, even if it was as severe as Monte. Dogs can live quote well with epilepsy. Boof's spleen tumour looks like it might also have been an MCT. It was grapefruit in size. We will know for sure next week when the path results come back.

Best of luck with Zig. Hopefully a light dose of Pb will do the trick.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks White Shep mum - Zig has valium here and that is what we have been using but with the last episode, the valium was useless and did nothing.

Thanks Anne - good luck with Boofs path results..

I hate mast cell - despicable disease.

We administered Valium rectally to Monte. It's hard to give a dog having a seizure a tablet and the Valium was absorbed much quicker this way. It was given to help stop a cluster.

After Casper's last seizure the vet did suggest we give the valium rectally...a bit late to tell me that! Casper is usually ravenous in his post-ictal phase so it was always easy to feed him the valium in a slice of ham.

It sounds like Zig's seizures are really mild, don't be too distressed about putting him on meds. You'll be much happier once he stops seizing. I would recommend you support his liver once you start too. I get my liver tablets from the supermarket.

Anne, I'm sorry you're still battling with Boof. I hope you get good results from the path tests.

I hope that you get him sorted with meds etc, my boy has had epilepsy for 6 years and he copes well. I must look into liver tablets or milk thistle for my boy.

Edited by varicool

Zig is back to normal tonight - even eating most of his dinner (kibble only).

He has hardly eaten anything since the morning of his seizure. A few tidbits of hand fed stuff but not really interested in anything at all, until tonight.

Controlled substance? I've never heard of drug addicts wanting phenobarbital. I don't doubt you just that I've never heard of it. Are you in Australia sandgrubber? Your profile leads one to believe you're in the us but then mine also says 'overseas'.

See

http://prescription-drug-abuse.com/drug-abuse-articles/prescriptiondrugabuse/phenobarbital-poses-extreme-danger-to-teens-who-abuse-drugs/

Barbituates, including phenobarbital, can be addictive and dangerous as an overdose. I'm in the US now, but ran a kennel in WA, where I occasionally encountered dogs on epilepsy treatment. At one point someone warned me to keep the meds under careful watch. Here in the US, the pharmicist handles the Rx with triplicate forms. I'm not hip on the drug scene, but expect the abuse patterns in Oz aren't so different from those in the US. I did a little surfing on drug addict discussion forums: phenobarbital is regarded as a downer that gives a very long response (days), and a very dangerous drug to mix, particularly with other downers. It may have some use for countering withdrawl symptoms for alcohol or some painkillers or for coping with anxiety. Phenobarbital is listed in both Category 4 and Category 8 in Australia . . . so legal status is confusing.

I just wanted to add to this, as told by my neurologist and many pharmacists, certain anti-epiletpic medications (I'm not sure which ones, i've had a variety) are being used as date rape drugs apparently, and I'm warned to always keep them in a non obvious place, especially when out or travelling incase they are stolen.

Wow, I'm horrified about the Basie of such a drug. :eek: thanks for the link sandgrubber.

Great pic of Zig Staffyluv.

LMWS - thanks. He's doing remarkably well after his surgery.

Edited by ~Anne~