Yellow Dog Project

Working Dog Lover

'Morning

I'm looking for someone in Queensland, preferably Brisbane, who has a yellow collar or ribbon on their dog as described in the Yellow Dog Project.

http://www.theyellowdogproject.com/The_Yellow_Dog_Project/Home.html

I'd like to chat with them, and have some photographs taken, for a newspaper article on the project, to inform the general public about what it means when a dog has a yellow ribbon.

Appreciate your help. :)

Hi There

I live on the Brisbane Northside (about 10km from CBD).

My ex-husband and I rescued three abused dogs when we lived in Dubai and bought them all back with us

to Australia when we came back 7 years ago.

One of the dogs - a now 13 yr old male border collie/spaniel/? called Sam has had anxiety issues since we

rescued him and in recent times has also become arthritic in his back legs. Due to this, he has developed

a real reluctance toward going to our local dog park due to the sheer amount of younger dogs and kids who try and

get him to play with them and he ends up starting to tremble and going straight for the gate to get out. I had

heard about the yellow ribbon idea a year or so ago and thought it might be a great way to allow Sam the enjoyment

of going to the dog park with our other 2 dogs plus give him the space and understanding from other pet owners / parents

that Sam is there to sniff and watch without being harassed. I will say that I did anticipate having to explain the

concept to most people but I wasn't prepared the "who cares" type attitude I received from most of them when I told them

about the concept and Sam. Therefore, the one day I took Sam in with a big yellow ribbon on his collar, I found it to be

not worth the effort as either people are uninterested, ignorant toward what the concept really is about or just downright

uncaring.

I know the project is aimed toward responses when people are walking their dogs in public as opposed to in a dog park situation.

Unfortunately with three big dogs, I cannot really walk them without being pulled in three different directions so most of their

interaction with the public is in fenced dog parks.

I don't take my dogs to that particular dog park anymore as Sam was getting too stressed and now go to dog parks where there are

few other dogs or older dogs and no kids to bother him. He doesn't need to wear the yellow ribbon for these reasons but all in all

I sadly found that the yellow ribbon idea here within my community was virtually unheard of and not a successful option for me when

I tried it.

I do think it is a marvellous idea - especially for older dogs. I have found with my three dogs that as they get older, their tolerance

to younger , more energetic dogs or to strangers wanting to pat them has declined and I have been told by a vet that this is common in

most older dogs.

I hope you get great coverage for your article as the more information out there in the public for the Yellow Ribbon Idea is needed

urgently. If you would like to take some pics of Sam or have me email you some of him wearing a yellow ribbon on his collar, just let me

know. You are welcome to use the comments I have given also and edit them as you wish.

Good Luck with it . I really mean that. Your doing a really really good thing for all vulnerable , sensitive + every dog who could benefit

from the Yellow Ribbon Program.

I know of it but I don't think it's nearly as widely publicised as it needs to be. My kelpie could probably benefit from a yellow ribbon(very friendly but gets upset and stresses with kids/dogs in her face but fine with sensible, gentle people and dogs). I'm happy to see there is a website, I might start promoting it on my local pet facebook pages and see if we can get the word out in this area :)

I think an article is a great way to go. I don't think anyone here really knows about it, except the really dog savvy community (found places like this), but general people do not.

I do not have dogs that need this, but I know of quite a few that would and if it became a widely known system it would be really good :)

The article sounds great! I know about the yellow ribbon idea but only because I have seen it on the internet.

I think there are a heck of a lot of dog owners who don't use the internet at all so a wider audience needs to be reached;)

Newspapers, posters in clubs and vets etc. I think are a great idea.

Good on you for doing the article, can't wait to read it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd prefer a "keep your dog to yourself at all times" approach. People shouldnt need to wear a ribbon to say leave me alone, it should be a given and people educated on that.

I agree with the above.

A training organisation I used to work for had a similar system but instead of ribbon colour, it was based on leash colour.

The difficulty with it was that those who had dogs with the bright orange leash colour relied more on others keeping out of their way and blamed all else for being any where near them when they were working, rather than understanding they too needed to continue to be vigilant regards their environment and the changes within it. It was as though many of those who utilised a bright orange lead felt they had "right-of-way", even though they were otherwise informed.

Relying on an identification system such as this also leaves itself open to having those who aren't aware of it NOT sporting a yellow ribbon and others making the then potentially dangerous assumption that this means that dog is "ok". If the dog is not "ok" blame will be placed upon that owner for not having a yellow ribbon, rather than promoting responsibility on each owner for effective control and a blanket approach to conscious and judicious interaction.

Consequently, I think education should be about training for effective control and only permitting interaction amongst dogs (if that's what people want to do) with confirmed acknowledgement and agreement and I don't agree with it being reliant on wearing a ribbon of any certain colour.

The concept of the above is akin to suggesting that people who don't want to be hugged and kissed by any stranger they meet along the course of a walk must wear a coloured ribbon. Why should people have to identify to gain the respect and consideration of the rest of the community? That respect and consideration should and must be automatic and the consensus of general opinion, expectations and the law should reflect that it is our right to expect such consideration and respect. So why have opposite expectation of the dog-owning community which to me only denigrates our automatic right to expect consideration and respect of personal space?

Perhaps, if this is really what people want, it should be a case of "wear a yellow ribbon if your dog IS ok and you want other dogs to approach and interact". In my opinion, that would be a better, more reliable and safer system. (And people who DO want to be hugged and kissed by every stranger they meet when they're out walking can wear a coloured ribbon too, if they want, :laugh: ). At least this way, it is a system which will err on the cautious side of assumption, rather than the other way around.

And as an aside ….. just because there are really excellent trainers who are knowledgeable and experienced and versed in ALL quadrants of training, doesn't mean they won't use positive training techniques. But this point is not why I disagree with the "identification by colour" concept.

Edited by Erny

Oops. Did I stop the conversation?

I do agree with that actually.

It makes sense to do it the other way around.

Eta: I mean your previous post.

But the average pet owner is a bit different to the dog savvy people found here. And often don't even think about keeping their dogs away.

But maybe the ribbon should be a different colour. As yellow could mean ok, rather than stay away.

Edited by denali

Oops. Did I stop the conversation?

I do agree with that actually.

It makes sense to do it the other way around.

Eta: I mean your previous post.

But the average pet owner is a bit different to the dog savvy people found here. And often don't even think about keeping their dogs away.

But maybe the ribbon should be a different colour. As yellow could mean ok, rather than stay away.

A lot of dog clubs have yellow bandanas for dogs that need space, the yellow ribbon project is just taking this a step further and introducing the concept to the wider community. If you change the meaning it just adds confusion.

Yeah, ok. But that means I would HAVE to have my dog wear a yellow ribbon. If it came off, or I forgot it and someone let their inappropriately behaved dog come over to him and cause a scuffle, then it could be said that I was in the wrong for not sporting a yellow ribbon to say "stay away".

Is that really right?

I can see many responsible people with good dogs getting caught under what could be designed as a "system" that if one isn't aware of it, could land you (and your dog) in trouble.

Sure - a lot of people don't observe common courtesy and knowledge about personal space and the right to peaceful enjoyment, but doesn't this open the door to them being ABLE to blame others who might not have the knowledge (or got caught out for not bringing their ribbon with them) to sport the yellow ribbon?

And what about the good dogs and owners who have efficient control, when they let their dogs off-lead and perhaps go for a swim in the local swimming hole ….. ribbon gets wet if on the collar and potentially not identified. Ribbon on lead won't have much effect in those circumstances.

Still don't think the onus should be placed on owners and good dogs as it leaves the door of blame open to irresponsible owners (and believe me, THEY are the ones who look for any excuse to blame) to blame them for their own irresponsibilities.

Anyway - I admit I've said my piece and IMO it contains very valid points that should not be ignored. This "yellow ribbon" system is one that will be forced upon those who don't agree with it for the sheer fact it will become a protocol necessary just for being "good". And in my books, that's wrong.

If it's within clubs, that's fine - I'm not concerned as it doesn't affect me. But if it is a "system" that is to become more public, that's a concern. As how will anyone know if the dog is not sporting a yellow ribbon because he's "ok" or because the owner wasn't aware of the "yellow ribbon system".

Anyway …… my dog's favourite colour is not yellow. Lol.

I have the orange no dog harness and lead and a very noisy, very obviously dog aggressive dog. He also has a second leash and slip collar and yet I still have some people happily allowing their dogs to run across the road to him. I just don't know if a ribbon is big enough for some people and many assume if theirs is friendly then magically it will all be ok. I would love to think education would change things but I know prior to owning a DA dog I would have just assumed a short bit of training could fix the problem and the owners were dingbats for not dealing with their dogs. (Hence I own a DA dog)

Really I agree that a general change of attitude is necessary, respect every dogs, realize every dog has a set of teeth and obey the leash laws.

http://friendlydogcollars.com.au

We use these. Gus gets a friendly one, because he certainly is, and just to let people know he won't eat their kids or small dogs etc.

Rosie has a nervous one, so clever people can't miss the fact she doesn't love most humans and will shy away. We'd rather people left her be than force themselves on her and make it worse. Apparently a hard concept to grasp!

I love the yellow ribbon thing, but the constant explaining was too much, especially with a dog who doesn't feel confident with other people. I can't always be there and explain ourselves at length before some twit tries to grab her for a pat. She wouldn't bite, loves other dogs but yeah, would rather not interact with the two legged ones.

Edited by Steph M

I love the yellow ribbon thing, but the constant explaining was too much, especially with a dog who doesn't feel confident with other people. I can't always be there and explain ourselves at length before some twit tries to grab her for a pat. She wouldn't bite, loves other dogs but yeah, would rather not interact with the two legged ones.

That's what I don't get about it. People constantly coming up to ask what it is, when the whole point is to keep people away.