My Pug's New Lump

That information isn't up to date or aligned with the current thinking on MCT's.

Be very careful where you get your information, especially with information on the internet. I think it's best to get it directly from an oncologist :)

I was trying to help you see there can be positives and an MCT isn't always bad news. Just forget I even tried.

Unfortunatly this isn't his first, he's had many many of them so puggers is pretty much an expert on MCT's. I guess it's hard to see a positive when your little squishie best friend is hurting, and you wake up one day and there is a lump that wasn't there hours before.

I don't envy anyone going through that, canines or their humans.

:grouphug:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might talk to my vet about putting him on Masitinib (not as harsh as Palladia).

This will stop the tumours from developing/spreading while I think about what to do. It just buys time; it doesn't cure the cancer. Once you take them off it, the cancer returns.

Chemo is the same - it doesn't cure them, it buys you time..

It will put them in remission and depending on the dog, the doses it has received and the spread and hold the MCT has..

Remissions can be short, medium or long term - with MCT it is so hard to tell..

We used a combination of conventional medicine, holistic medicine and finger crossing.. Ol had chemo for 6 months, was treated with improvements to diet and holistic supplements. High doses of Vitamin C, fish oil, a daily polarmine tablet and loads of what he wanted to do.

He still wanted to go walking every day - so we did..

My oncologists don't think chemo will be useful in his case because he has multiple (frequent) MCT's, but they said they would consider trying a c-kit/tyrosinase inhibitor, like Masitinib or Palladia, which will turn off the c-kit oncogene temporarily (while he's taking the drug). This is because they suspect he has the c-kit oncogene. I can get them to do a DNA test to see.

I'm doing pretty much the same as you in terms of treatment.

Edited by puggedforlife

I might talk to my vet about putting him on Masitinib (not as harsh as Palladia).

This will stop the tumours from developing/spreading while I think about what to do. It just buys time; it doesn't cure the cancer. Once you take them off it, the cancer returns.

Chemo is the same - it doesn't cure them, it buys you time..

It will put them in remission and depending on the dog, the doses it has received and the spread and hold the MCT has..

Remissions can be short, medium or long term - with MCT it is so hard to tell..

We used a combination of conventional medicine, holistic medicine and finger crossing.. Ol had chemo for 6 months, was treated with improvements to diet and holistic supplements. High doses of Vitamin C, fish oil, a daily polarmine tablet and loads of what he wanted to do.

He still wanted to go walking every day - so we did..

My oncologists don't think chemo will be useful in his case because he has multiple (frequent) MCT's, but they said they would consider trying a c-kit/tyrosinase inhibitor, like Masitinib or Palladia, which will turn off the c-kit oncogene temporarily (while he's taking the drug). This is because they suspect he has the c-kit oncogene. I can get them to do a DNA test to see.

I'm doing pretty much the same as you in terms of treatment.

There have been loads of changes since Ol was here and we were dealing with MCT (diganosed 2005 lost his battle in 2011).

He had tumours all over him - we removed a few and then stopped because it was pointless. He had grade 2 tumours, with no clear margins on any removals.

Our oncologist was adamant about the chemo - he said it was his only chance. Chemo bombs the whole system, so is much more successful in dogs with multiple tumours.. As opposed to radiation, which treats specific tumours.

I hope you sort something out, it is so sad to see them unwell.

MCT is a devastating disease.

He's home and I feel so much better.

I think I was feeling a bit down because a couple of people had lectured me about spending so much money on his cancer (no one here)... But I've realised that taking care of him makes me happy and it's my money so stuff them LOL.

He had three MCT's removed and the rest were hives (which have mostly gone down now). And my vet gave me some extra prednisolone in case he ever has another histamine reaction.

I've been very busy, and I had a cold recently, and I let everything get on top of me... But I'm feeling positive and clear-headed again now.

I'm just waiting for the biopsy results now.

Edited by puggedforlife

Hugs to you and your little guy. Hopefully your vet got good margins.

Some people's attitudes towards others spending money on medical treatment for pets really leaves me shaking my head. I just don't understand it. It is seemingly acceptable to some to spend massive amounts of money on holidays, cars, clothes, boats, trailers, bigger houses and a heap of other things but to spend money on extending the time and quality of a loved companion is a waste?

To me, maeby, they are the ones with the problem. Not you! You are kind and compassionate and you are your pugs best friend.

I took my Puggie for a 10 minute walk, just a little one down to the corner and back.

That was all he could handle, he is still very slow and out of it. I might take him again later tonight if he's feeling up to it. Just having his harness and lead on lifted his spirits and he is asleep on the couch now.

I have bathed his wounds with warm saltwater and put Neocort on his ears (where he scratched them).

Does your vet suggest wound /stitch site cleaning, P f L ? I was always taught to leave them well alone , as liquid can help nasties track down thru the stitch holes ...Maybe things have changed :)

I am glad he enjoyed his walk!!..and I guess you were smiling as well :) Hope you both have an R&R weekend!!

Does your vet suggest wound /stitch site cleaning, P f L ? I was always taught to leave them well alone , as liquid can help nasties track down thru the stitch holes ...Maybe things have changed :)

I am glad he enjoyed his walk!!..and I guess you were smiling as well :) Hope you both have an R&R weekend!!

Yes, my vet told me to clean his stitches/wounds with warm saltwater and some cotton buds. She has always told me to do this.

We just went for another walk, maybe about 10 mins, and he banged into me the whole time with his cone! He's only been wearing it for 24 hours and I'm sick of it already!

Plus he is refusing to walk on grass! I had to carry him over all the grass! :laugh: