Blind Puppy

SLF

Ok so those of you that followed our story this is one of Reba's pups.

They suffered the snake bite in utero and are now almost 5wks old. They are being hand feed but Reba is with them mothering them.

I have had concerns re one of the little bitch pups from about 2wks old. I am beginning to think perhaps she cant see properly?

She crys a lot, whimpering, and sits alone with her head on her chest. She seems 'lost' a lot, cannot find the other pups. Now they are on solids she seems to find the food bowl by following another pup's body to the bowl, not just head in like the others. Now they are spending the day outside in the pen, she doesn't come to the door when I open it and cut across the pen, but uses her nose to follow the wall of the pen to find the door.

I am really starting to wonder. They are due at the vet next week for 6wk check up. Im wondering maybe I should take her in before that. Otherwise she is well. Good condition and active but just not the same as the others.

What are your thoughts or experiences?

thanks

Edited by SLF

No she doesn't play.

When they huddle to sleep she is usually on the bottom. Curled up head tucked in, like a penguin sitting up with her head tucked right down on her chest. Its weird . They come to her, more often than she goes to them.

I didn't think of hearing, she is asleep now with Reba in the box, I will clap and things at her tomorrow see what she does.

She eats when you take her to the food bowl, she feeds from the bottle when you pick her up and put it in her mouth. She is mobile though, she can walk and get about. The other night she got out of the whelping box, and I found her just huddled up crying in the middle of nowhere. She is affectionate and normal looking, though I feel like there is something I just cant put my finger on.

She was toppling over a lot but that isn't obvious anymore.

Edited by SLF

I'd guess it's complicated and not just sight. If her sense of smell were connecting properly with her brain I think she'd find the food bowl, even blind and deaf. I think you said you had a home for her. Seems to me the sad concern now is communicating with her owners-to-be about the potential extent of her disability and watching and waiting to see whether she moves toward, or continues to lag away from, normal. Hopefully there isn't a hard decision to make. I doubt you'll find much science to go on, as the awful situation you've been in has few precedents.

yes Sandgrubber that's my thoughts this morning.

A somewhat compromised puppy can lead a 'normal' happy life but where is that line in the sand ? ! ?

I will talk to my vet today and do a few little tests at home. If she is totally blind or deaf or whatever then if a decision needs to be made I would rather make it quickly.

I wonder if it's more than just blindness. If she doesn't play and cried alot that sounds to me like she is in pain.

Iggy Mum got an adult rescue dog as a foster who had its eyes removed just before she picked it up. It adapted very well, so I would think a puppy who had never seen would learn to cope because it knows no different, the other behaviours are worrying. I hope she isn't in pain.

The vet just confirmed she is totally blind.

She can hear and is otherwise healthy.

The other behaviours are from worrying because she cat see..being anxious. The crying a lot is normal behaviour for a blind puppy they vocalise so they can find the other pups and gain reassurance when the vocalise back.

The unsteady gait and toppling over is purely because she cannot see where she is walking.

Im so torn on what to do. I have spent so much of myself keeping these little pups alive that I am gutted. Though I have invested all this to give them quality of life, and now I have to way hers up.

I would love a magic wand and just to wave it and find someone who would be willing to adopt her but I think that would be a miracle.

The rest of the litter will be checked next week.

I have seen little blind puppies (under 6 weeks) - and they tended to barge around ..not sit & cry ... they used their noses and ears very well ..and it was hard to pick that they were blind :( They only ever fell when they tripped/crashed ...

She eats when you take her to the food bowl, she feeds from the bottle when you pick her up and put it in her mouth
Curled up head tucked in, like a penguin sitting up with her head tucked right down on her chest. Its weird .

This is a worry .....

Edited by persephone

It is a worry. She is anxious and scared.

Instead of barging around she sits and cries. Poor little mite. I just want to cuddle her all day, but I have to be fair to her.

As that is not quality of life

SLF it must be heartbreaking ..such an up & down journey for you ...

the only consolation I have is that this poor mite, given her limited functioning doesn't really know what she's missing ..she just feels what she feels . Does she ever wag her tail ..or try & run to you when she hears/smells you? I guess my concern is that "the lights are on, but nobody's home" :o and that she may need a HUGE amount of work to get her to where she can have independence ..or ,it may never happen, due to the damage she sustained.

(yes, I am a glass half empty person, sorry)

:hug: be very kind to yourself - these babies , and their mum's recovery as a whole, are miracles, enabled by you :)

this is my last ditch effort, before the final decision is made.

If you know of anyone who would be experienced enough to take on a dog that is blind, please let me know.

There is a photo on my FB page and here is a link. I just cant make that final decision until I have at least exhausted all the options first.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152309342123478&set=a.10150817734748478.484786.776823477&type=1&theater

May I just suggest some further assessment ?

... a blind puppy who can find food and eat, who is exploring the environment with other senses ..who plays and learns , is one thing ... but someone who takes on this girl only so she isn't "put to sleep' ... perhaps it would be better if the know exactly what is happening ..and how much care will be needed ....

Yes of course Persephone, quality of life is essential and been the whole point to the extraordinary effort put into this litter from the start of this journey.

However I feel that if there is someone , who is experienced to take on a blind puppy and would be willing to then at least the option of keeping this pup alive should be explored. However if not then she will be put to sleep promptly so that she is not suffering, not anxious and not being kept alive for selfish reasons.

I felt though the question of possible rehoming was worth asking, to exhaust all options before euthanasia.

... is it worth contacting a vet behaviourist or someone who can test reflexes/abilities etc so you know for your peace of mind ? It would be lovely if a professional could do tests and say - yep everything appears working fine , apart from her eyes .. it just seems that a new home may have the same worries & uncertainties you do for some time to come , until she displays that she is learning to 'live' and enjoy .... or not.

I hope I am not coming across as being unkind ...my heart aches for this morsel of fur ... dear little thing...

not unkind at all. My whole reasoning of posting on here is to get other perspectives as so often our own are clouded with emotion.

I appreciate your replies.

Yes I do know someone who is close by that can assess the pup.

On my examination of the others there is another pup with vision impairment. She is much more confident though, and otherwise seems just one of the litter.

All the remaining pups will be thoroughly examined next week by my experienced vet.

Between now and then there will be lots of talking to experienced people, lots of research and lots of thought going into the future of these pups.

Thanks once again for you advice in this long journey.