Leader Of The Pack

dogbesotted

This is the original wolf alpha guy David Mech on what dog trainers have done to his theory - video at bottom of page.

http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/David-Mechs-Theory-on-the-Alpha-Role

He's about as thrilled with the idea as the guy who coined the name "labradoodle" - not happy.

Here's some more accurate info about wolf pack structure - which may or may not apply to dog structure.

All I know is encourage your dog to make choices you like in your home, and don't let your dog make decisions you don't like in your home. But you don't have to make all the dog's decisions either.

http://www.felixho.be/en/canineSquad/wolf_1.html

http://www.felixho.be/en/canineSquad/wolf_2.html

It makes some interesting points for sure. I'm not a fan of punishment or aggressive dominating behaviours towards dogs as a means of training. I'd rather just be firm, consistent and kind with my dogs and encourage them to be respectful members of our family.

Firm but fair works around here... they get away with some behaviours at home, but seem to realise those behaviours are not tolerated when out in public (when they have a collar on). Collars on here means "on best behaviour or mummy takes you straight back home and you don't get your play session in the park or treats at the doggy fair"...

We have a routine, and it seems to work for all of us nicely. Probably not someone else's idea of a routine, but it's what we are comfortable with, and the dogs are happy and healthy and pretty well socially adjusted.

None of them are allowed near me when I'm eating my dinner - regardless if they eat first or I do. And I don't share anything from my plate... but they get a rotation of who gets to lick the youghurt tub after I've had it for dessert.

T.

from the abrantes article.

Dominant behavior is situational, individual and resource related. One individual displaying dominant behavior in one specific situation does not necessarily show it on another occasion toward another individual, or toward the same individual in another situation.

This I agree with. One dog is not dominant all the time. Different dogs lead at different times based on what skills are needed in a given context. They take turns.

And in some contexts where there are very few resources - they run alone not as a pack. Eg dingos in the desert.

I don't like the people claiming they need to dominate their dogs and be the alpha at all times, any more than I like the people who are all cookies and never stop their dogs from being naughty either.

My fave trainers say "positive is not permissive" but that also confuses the science jargon. Because positive punishment is "positive" - but in my opinion - a last resort quadrant. Even dogs use it last not first. And yet most amateur dog clubs use it first (choke chains).

There is also that really blurry intersection in the middle of the quadrants - ie is withholding a treat - the same as punishing a dog? If you ask mine - then yes. Is giving a "you're not going to get a treat for that behaviour" marker word - the same as mildly scolding a dog (ie telling it "no").

I do know from personal experience that being yelled at for being in the wrong place - does not help me figure out where the right place on the hockey field is.