Intentional Onion Poisoning?

dididog

A friend's dog, having been fine all day at a show and won best of breed, went to go back in the ring for best in group and suddenly threw up a whole onion he must have swallowed the day before. She had no idea he had gotten into the potato and onion box she had on the kitchen floor. The dog was fine, went into the ring and showed like he always did.

I had a neighbour here who wanted to give cooked quail to my dogs, I think to quiet them down - but ran into my mother as she was coming down the drive! The strange things some people do. I was horrified - all those tiny cooked bones - and an old westie who's a regular garbage guts with an open airway!frown.gif

Crows? The crows scavenge the food left out by kids in the school nearby and often drop them into our yard. It took me awhile to figure out why I have such a large collection of food in our garden when the dogs and kids don't eat outside. I am convinced the crows drop food my own daughter (who goes to the school)has chucked to them as she doesn't want to get in trouble bringing her uneaten lunch home!

Once I thought the annoying kids in the neighbourhood were throwing half eaten oranges over my fence. Turns out someone near by has an orange tree and the (giant f*cking scary) bats were getting them, sitting in my tree eating them, and would drop them :rofl:

LOL. I remember the thread :laugh: I have found my dogs eating bits of bread that I haven't given them and came to the conclusion it was birds dropping it, could be the same here.

I really dont like leaving her outside when nobody's home, I worry about all sorts of bad things (we have a lot of break ins in our area), people trying to poison her, her barking a lot and neighbours getting mad or those stupid myner birds attacking her while she eats her bones. The only thing I dont worry about is her getting stolen since it would be virtually impossible to get her out of the yard (no gates).

I think she'd be fine inside most days but mum wont let her... suppose I just need to stop being a worry wart ^.^

Off topic but as the days shorten, if you work full time you might want to consider how much Vitamin D she'll get if she's inside during the day. Growing dogs need access to unfiltered sunlight.

I really dont like leaving her outside when nobody's home, I worry about all sorts of bad things (we have a lot of break ins in our area), people trying to poison her, her barking a lot and neighbours getting mad or those stupid myner birds attacking her while she eats her bones. The only thing I dont worry about is her getting stolen since it would be virtually impossible to get her out of the yard (no gates).

I think she'd be fine inside most days but mum wont let her... suppose I just need to stop being a worry wart ^.^

Off topic but as the days shorten, if you work full time you might want to consider how much Vitamin D she'll get if she's inside during the day. Growing dogs need access to unfiltered sunlight.

She isnt kept inside all day. I'd like to for the peace of mind but mum says she has to be outside so she gets a fair bit of sunlight and on days when I am home she comes in and out as she pleases and likes to bask in the sun.

Crows? The crows scavenge the food left out by kids in the school nearby and often drop them into our yard. It took me awhile to figure out why I have such a large collection of food in our garden when the dogs and kids don't eat outside. I am convinced the crows drop food my own daughter (who goes to the school)has chucked to them as she doesn't want to get in trouble bringing her uneaten lunch home!

I have never seen a crow in my suburb just myners, magpies and those birdies with the little spike ontop of their heads. I'll keep an eye out for things critters might drop in the yard but the reason why I thought it might be deliberate because I never get that sort of stuff happening here.

See my immediate thought was some kid has built a medieval catapult and is randomly flinging vegetables around the neighborhood.

:laugh: I probably wouldn't mind then, don't think any of the kids on my street know how to entertain themselves outside though...

The main vitamin D source for dogs and cats is dietary (ie D3, thus an essential vitamin). Humans synthesise vitamin D3 from dietary D2 but dogs and cats have a low supply of the D3 precursor in the skin and it is inadequately synthesised into vitamin D3 despite exposure to UV light (unlike herbivores and omnivores).

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Mum stayed home from work on Friday and said there were kids in the alley carrying on and making meow sounds, I have no idea if they were just being silly or trying to get the 3 dogs in the area to bark but its a bit annoying all the same, the laneway is not a short cut or an alternate route, it is purely for cars to enter garages at the back of properties.