So Excited! Pet Therapy Visits

kelpiecuddles

I'm very excited to say we are just about to start the process to accredit Josie to do Pet Therapy visits to hospitals, aged care facilities, disability services, etc. Looking forward to receiving our training pack in the next week or so. Josie has proven herself to be a fabulous grounding force for my son on the autism spectrum and I am hoping that these visits will be another great opportunity for her to have some of her calming energy to rub off on others and also for her to gain some new experiences in unfamiliar environments. She just adores kids(a common trait of bassets) and the older generation seem to love her as a bit if an 'old-fashioned' breed so I think we'll all have a great time!

The group we are going through is only fairly local to my area Denali. There are a few around though so someoe might be able to point you in the direction of someone up there

http://www.pawspettherapy.com/About-Us.html

Bravo!!! Bravo!!! This is one of the most rewarding activities to do with a dog.

Many friends have their Vizslak trained for this. Wonderful to see the dog in action.

I am sure you recall that beautiful thread with the darling French lady who is visited by a therapy dog.

It will be so rewarding.

Do keep us posted please ( & photos).

:thumbsup:

I agree with VM, do keep us up to date as you start on this most rewarding work.

I loved reading the biographies on the site you posted. Showed what a wonderful range of dogs prove brilliantly suitable

:thumbsup:

I was so excited when I found them Mita! I've been wanting to do the Delta pet therapy training for a while as there is a lady down here with them but it's two consecutive days in Sydney which is just not realistic for me at the moment with three kids on my own. The local paper ran a story on this group as a local gentleman funded them to visit the childrens ward at the local hospital for a year and when I googled I realised they were close by and primarily work in this area. :) SO a flurry of emails and here we are. I have to do the theory part of the course and then there is a training day in Thirroul, I also need to organise a vet clearance and a police check before we are allowed to start, so a few things to get done but it won't be long before we are out and about. :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I can imagine kids getting a kick out of her floppy ears and squishy face! I really want to be able to do something similar with my puppy at some point down the track but definitely going to have to wait a while until she's a bit more sedate.

You will have think through how those in beds will have access to a Basset. She will be too big to be on the bed and too short to put her paws up. Similar issues will occur with those in wheelchairs reaching down to her.

She's quite adept at getting things off the kitchen table and kitchen bench if she wants to so I'm not too worried there LOL, Bassets are surprisingly tall when they stand up on their back legs. :) She's very good at just gently putting her front paws up next to you to get a rub behind the ears so a regular chair placed next to a wheelchair or bed would work well too.

Also they don't just do people stuck in beds and chairs, they work with people in all sorts of situations. :) Plus given one of the photos in their slide show is of a golden retriever lying on a ladies lap in bed I think we'll be ok LOL She's definately not as large as a golden.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Fantastic news kelpiecuddles....I know you will love it just as much as Dezzy and I do....it is so rewarding just to see their faces when you walk in the door and with dementia patients they will always remember the dogs name but will forget yours.....well done :thumbsup: