Jogger Attacked By Dogs

samoyedman

Maybe, just maybe, they were on one of those extendable leads. Walking nice and close to their handler, jogger goes past, giving a 2m zone for clearance, thinking they are on a normal lead, dogs see her running and react suddenly, moving to the full 4 or 5M extension of the lead and catching both jogger and handler by surprise. Jogger because she thought she was out of their reach, handler because until now, the dogs have been walking sedately by his side with no extension of the lead.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just walking close to a dog in public is not enough to be considered that the dog was provoked, or that it needed to defend it's owner.

If your dog gives someone stitches in their face and your excuse to the Council officer is 'but she walked close to us' - good luck avoiding a declaration.

That's incorrect, there are plenty of defences at hand for leashed dogs involved in attack under provocation......there is no statutory law concluding that a dog involved in attack when leashed in a public place is prosecuted by default......off leash dogs yes, on leash is a different story. In some states, a dog on leash is exempt from prosecution unless it's proven that the handler coaxed the dog to attack. Dogs also have the right of personal space, that is a tethered dog doesn't mean someone can rightfully interact with it incident free where common sense should prevail.

I imagine we are of the opinion that the dogs were on lead because the report stated they were on lead.

It did not state the handler was holding the dogs by their collars. That idea has come right out of left field. If the dogs were on lead as reported we can probably safely presume the handler was holding the other end of the leads.

Are you attempting to blame the victim for this attack? If so, why?

It didn't state very much at all raising my interest in how the incident occurred when the dogs were said to be leashed given that in common attacks, the dogs are generally off leash with no handler control.....this incident is a bit different to the norm.

People do some stupid stuff around dogs without applying common sense with incidents resulting beyond reasonable handler control. Are you advocating that the dog and handler should pay for public stupidity?

Maybe, just maybe, they were on one of those extendable leads. Walking nice and close to their handler, jogger goes past, giving a 2m zone for clearance, thinking they are on a normal lead, dogs see her running and react suddenly, moving to the full 4 or 5M extension of the lead and catching both jogger and handler by surprise. Jogger because she thought she was out of their reach, handler because until now, the dogs have been walking sedately by his side with no extension of the lead.

I would say more than likely, the dog alerted to the jogger running directly at them taking a lunge catching the handler by surprise.....I doubt Grey's or Dobies what ever breed they are were on extender leads, but anything is possible. Extender leads generally breach the lead length stipulation for effective tethering in most by laws I think?

Edited by Amax-1

This poor owner and his two otherwise harmless (except for the face biting) dogs were suddenly set upon by a threatening female jogger.

Who, despite all good sense and in full knowledge of dog behaviour made an informed decision not to run in a large circle around these dogs and incorrectly assumed that them being on lead with their owner and out in public meant that somehow they were safe to be in the vicinity of!

She also made the mistake (so common in society today) of believing owners are responsible for their dogs and if they are reactive or nervy in any way, they don't take them to popular running tracks.

So the poor dog lunged out of his owner's control and instead of covering her face the jogger did not take advantage of the split second she had to move away.

Then having been bitten and frightening the dog owner by shouting and bleeding all over the place, he: understandably shaken, walked her to her car, gave her his favourite shirt to wrap her head with, then legged it.

:clap:

really reaching now

Maybe, perhaps, it might be the case. NO ONE HERE KNOWS or if they do, they aren't saying. All this speculation about extendable leads, where the jogger was in relation to the dogs ..... just so much blame the victim b*llsh*t. Makes me so angry.

Oh and as for dogs the size of Greys and Dobes being on extender lead, come and walk in my area, Amax-1. Extendable leads are the vogue for all sorts and all sizes of dogs, but only one breed of human: stupid.

Maybe, perhaps, it might be the case. NO ONE HERE KNOWS or if they do, they aren't saying. All this speculation about extendable leads, where the jogger was in relation to the dogs ..... just so much blame the victim b*llsh*t. Makes me so angry.

Oh and as for dogs the size of Greys and Dobes being on extender lead, come and walk in my area, Amax-1. Extendable leads are the vogue for all sorts and all sizes of dogs, but only one breed of human: stupid.

don't make this into a thing about extender leads. I'm not stupid and I use extender leads on greyhounds.

This poor owner and his two otherwise harmless (except for the face biting) dogs were suddenly set upon by a threatening female jogger.

Who, despite all good sense and in full knowledge of dog behaviour made an informed decision not to run in a large circle around these dogs and incorrectly assumed that them being on lead with their owner and out in public meant that somehow they were safe to be in the vicinity of!

She also made the mistake (so common in society today) of believing owners are responsible for their dogs and if they are reactive or nervy in any way, they don't take them to popular running tracks.

So the poor dog lunged out of his owner's control and instead of covering her face the jogger did not take advantage of the split second she had to move away.

Then having been bitten and frightening the dog owner by shouting and bleeding all over the place, he: understandably shaken, walked her to her car, gave her his favourite shirt to wrap her head with, then legged it.

A person at elevated pace (jogging) towards a dog and handler can alert a dog to threat switching the dog into defence drive is not uncommon. Had the innocent female jogger been a thug intending to assault the handler, the dog did it's job, unfortunately a mere dog may not discriminate against intent and see only someone quickly approaching and act accordingly whether it's genuine threat or not. For all we know the jogger may have been so close to the dog she was only millimetres from making contact herself, or......perhaps she stopped suddenly within millimetres of the dogs nose or ran into the dog who jumped directly upwards who knows? None the less, the dogs were still leashed, they were not at large which IMHO needs some extra scrutiny into how the incident unfolded as leashed dogs don't present highly due to the restraint factor in common attacks.

Perhaps the jogger did something completely stupid being the reason the handler didn't offer much compassion and legged it to save his dogs......to me there is something not right or not disclosed regarding this incident with leashed dogs involved in attacks??

don't make this into a thing about extender leads. I'm not stupid and I use extender leads on greyhounds.

I realised that there was a chance of that, Rebanne, and it has been done to death. I am referring to the people I see around here. :) :)

I think all this supposition as to what happened and who did what or didn't do what, and who was where, etc etc etc is just so much twaddle. In the final analysis, a woman has been severely injured through (as far as we know) no fault of her own and, as usual, posters come out wanting to blame the person who was attacked.

Extender leads don't comply in length in most municipal areas and actually breach the requirements of effective tethering. I have never seen an extender lead of high enough quality to withstand restraint of powerful breeds, that is if you can snap cast alloy leash clamps from a lunging dog on a cheap leash, an extender lead has no chance of meeting the needs of a secure tether.

as usual, posters come out wanting to blame the person who was attacked.

Maybe the fact that this is a dog forum and not a victim support group with dog people who have experienced stupid acts from the public in face of dogs can see outside of the square perhaps?

Edited by Amax-1

A person at elevated pace (jogging) towards a dog and handler can alert a dog to threat switching the dog into defence drive is not uncommon. Had the innocent female jogger been a thug intending to assault the handler, the dog did it's job, unfortunately a mere dog may not discriminate against intent and see only someone quickly approaching and act accordingly whether it's genuine threat or not. For all we know the jogger may have been so close to the dog she was only millimetres from making contact herself, or......perhaps she stopped suddenly within millimetres of the dogs nose or ran into the dog who jumped directly upwards who knows? None the less, the dogs were still leashed, they were not at large which IMHO needs some extra scrutiny into how the incident unfolded as leashed dogs don't present highly due to the restraint factor in common attacks.

Perhaps the jogger did something completely stupid being the reason the handler didn't offer much compassion and legged it to save his dogs......to me there is something not right or not disclosed regarding this incident with leashed dogs involved in attacks??

Who the hell cares. Owners are expected to own up for any and all behaviour in their dogs leashed or not.

You are dragging this thread in circles and throwing in harebrained theories in an attempt to dissemble the facts. The victim is not at fault.

as usual, posters come out wanting to blame the person who was attacked.

Maybe the fact that this is a dog forum and not a victim support group with dog people who have experienced stupid acts from the public in face of dogs can see outside of the square perhaps?

Great attitude :thumbsup:

Who the hell cares. Owners are expected to own up for any and all behaviour in their dogs leashed or not.

You are dragging this thread in circles and throwing in harebrained theories in an attempt to dissemble the facts. The victim is not at fault.

There are little facts provided to establish anything much other than discussion, but don't be pre-conceived with a charade that because a dog causes injury to someone it has no right of defence which it does depending on the circumstances. My view is based solely on the attack not what the hander did or didn't do post incident.

Sorry if it wasn't apparent. I was making a tongue in cheek remark - pulling as many maybes out of my :bottom: to try and make it all about the jogger, which is what some seem to want to do.

Whatever happened, and none of us know anything more than what has been reported in the media, who after all, are only in the business to sell stories (the more dramatic the better) a woman has been badly injured, some dogs were involved and a guy was involved. It was a public place and the guy and the girl were both going about their daily activities.