Jogger Attacked By Dogs

samoyedman

Maybe I've become too much of a cynic. Because the thought crossed my mind that they called in to try and divert attention away from their dogs, by claiming them to be some other breed.

Yes, that was my reaction too. Why would anyone believe the comments of an anonymous caller to be truthful?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story is that this woman was injured by these dogs. Unless she was unmercifully teasing them, which it certainly appears she was not, the person handling these dogs was incompetent.

What more do we need to know?

I guess the question is whether the dogs attacked her (by which I mean went for her in a deliberate attempt to harm her or scare her off) or leapt at her in play/ greeting and injured her accidentally. The outcome for her is the same in either case, because she was injured unnecessarily, but for the dogs it might be the difference between being put down for being aggressive or needing more training and much better handling.

Actually better handling in any case.

The question for me is why were these greys not muzzled? If they were greencollared who was the assessor? The standards for rehoming greyhounds have dropped dramatically and someone needs to be held accountable.

But there isn't just one group rehoming them, and we know that different people are told very different thing so some people believe greys don't need to still be muzzled, some are rehomed without any kind of discussion about their nature..... But I'd still be astonished if it was a grey who bit someone's face. Yes, it's all possible, but it seems very out of character. Maybe I've been lucky. Having said that, those muzzles can and do leave bruising.

Edited to add: as a greyhound owner in the Hills, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by a visit from council in the next little while? And make sure the vacuuming is done and laundry put away?

Edited by Brandiandwe

I'm wondering why someone would ring up and say that they are the owner of the dogs, admit it was them and then would insist that the dogs were greyhounds (or insert any other breed other than the one reported).

Maybe I've become too much of a cynic. Because the thought crossed my mind that they called in to try and divert attention away from their dogs, by claiming them to be some other breed.

Yes, that sounds very plausible actually.

Edited by ~Anne~

Well - if this "Steve" is the actual man who owns the dogs in question - and he's been truthful about living in Castle Hill... how hard would it be for the Council to look up any owners in Castle Hill who have 2 greyhounds registered (or chipped) to their address? I know our council rangers have a level of access that allow them to do all sorts of searches on the CAR database...

T.

I'm wondering why someone would ring up and say that they are the owner of the dogs, admit it was them and then would insist that the dogs were greyhounds (or insert any other breed other than the one reported).

I don't think that is being cynical - that's what I thought :D .

If he is the man whose dogs caused so much damage to that poor woman, he obviously wanted his 15 seconds of fame so he would be discussed, but not enough for people to actually know who he was.

That said, it couldn't be too hard for the council to find him, but unfortunately, that presupposes that they care enough. :mad

Well - if this "Steve" is the actual man who owns the dogs in question - and he's been truthful about living in Castle Hill... how hard would it be for the Council to look up any owners in Castle Hill who have 2 greyhounds registered (or chipped) to their address? I know our council rangers have a level of access that allow them to do all sorts of searches on the CAR database...

T.

This will be shocking to many but no ability whatsoever to do that.

We can't pull up on the CAR a list of the dogs of X breed in the Council area, if it is not a breed subject to BSL.

You can do a 'restricted dog' search and it will bring up all the restricted dogs in the area, or a Greenhound search and it will bring up all the greys with muzzle exemptions (which I doubt these are), but any other breed.... nope.

I got a report about an attack from two Basenjis at a particular park. You would think a rare breed like basenji it would be pretty easy to identify the dogs if their chips were up to date. Nope. After 45 minutes of individually searching every street in the surrounding area I gave up, and had to go and hang around the park instead. Total waste of precious resources and time when I may have been able to get a lead if I could search a list of all Basenjis in my council area.

Another small thing showing how all the focus is on BSL breeds and not dogs in general, to the detriment of the community.

Is there any way to bring up a list of dogs registered (either by chip database, or council registration database) in a certain suburb, then maybe go through manually to find 2 greyhounds registered to the same address in that area? Time consuming, but could yield a result...

T.

Is there any way to bring up a list of dogs registered (either by chip database, or council registration database) in a certain suburb, then maybe go through manually to find 2 greyhounds registered to the same address in that area? Time consuming, but could yield a result...

T.

Council registration data base and chip database are one in the same in NSW.

You can do reports of how many dogs are in the area and how many of each breed but you can't pull owner contact info from that. It's pretty frustrating.

Edited by melzawelza

few years ago I had the council knock on my door cause a cat had been killed by a couple of large dogs a street or two over. I asked straight out if they were asking me cause I had greyhounds and they said um no but I have always doubted them. I told them next doors large dog, a Golden Ret., had not been out either cause I had heard him barking. So I reckon they can look up dogs on their data base.

few years ago I had the council knock on my door cause a cat had been killed by a couple of large dogs a street or two over. I asked straight out if they were asking me cause I had greyhounds and they said um no but I have always doubted them. I told them next doors large dog, a Golden Ret., had not been out either cause I had heard him barking. So I reckon they can look up dogs on their data base.

Yes, you can look up animals on a street by street basis or with a microchip number. In yoir case it's likely they just ran the surrounding streets one by one to see what cropped up.

But you can't just search and bring up all the, for eg, Labradors in the suburb.

the council found me by a search for who owned whippets in this area. I think they can search by breed here in Vic.

I think they can, as Council registration is stored separately to microchip info. Here in NSW it's an all-in-one Government run registry which is overall really good as far as what you can do with it, but severely lacks in this area.

She is the only victim in this story and it was not her fault.

When an owner knows they can't control their dogs, they are the ones who should be taking these 'preventative measures' you speak of. Expecting people to run in wide circles around every dog they pass just in case they get bitten is ridiculous.

Hazywal, I was wondering the same thing myself.

Couldn't agree more!

My Boxer being a boxer is a jumper. Never anything but playful, however when ever being walked, anytime we approach or are near others, he is put on the other side and leash is reigned in so he is right by my side.

Its my job to protect him and others. Not someone who happens to be on the same footpaths job to ensure they're taking precautions.

I do agree but I do think that people need to at least use their head. Pedestrians have right of way but the number of times I've been half way out of a carpark and someone has popped out from behind another car and walked straight behind my moving vehicle causing me to slam on my brakes is ridiculous(or worse yet allow their children to run ahead right behind a moving car!). yes the law says that they are in the right if I hit them but seriously, who deliberately steps in front of a moving vehicle and just expects everything to work out rosy!

My Boxer being a boxer is a jumper. Never anything but playful, however when ever being walked, anytime we approach or are near others, he is put on the other side and leash is reigned in so he is right by my side.

Its my job to protect him and others. Not someone who happens to be on the same footpaths job to ensure they're taking precautions.

I agree, BoxerB, with all you say, except with the emboldened bit. It is the responsibility of us all to be aware of where we are, what we are doing, etc etc. Unfortunately, those of us who are aware the our dogs depend on us for their safety, most often have to be aware of the lack of care and knowledge of those around us. People are not aware a lot of the time and, if they are, don't care about others.

When I lived in another part of Sydney, there were parks where pathways were shared with bikeriders, and I can assure you, they could be and were vicious, many of them believing 100% that their wants were the only consideration. I saw lots of near misses and kept a sharp eye on them for my own and my dogs' safety. On a few occasions, I was yelled at to get my f**king dogs off the pathway, and another time in another park, a rider did actually run over one of my dogs. Luckily he wasn't hurt. But she just kept riding with no apology nothing.

I do agree but I do think that people need to at least use their head. Pedestrians have right of way but the number of times I've been half way out of a carpark and someone has popped out from behind another car and walked straight behind my moving vehicle causing me to slam on my brakes is ridiculous(or worse yet allow their children to run ahead right behind a moving car!). yes the law says that they are in the right if I hit them but seriously, who deliberately steps in front of a moving vehicle and just expects everything to work out rosy!

Absolutely. I was a morning jogger for many years and though I had absolutely no experience of dogs at that time, instinctively knew to either slow down or even stop and walk if I saw them ahead. I well remember the time when I had done this when I saw a large Golden Retriever lying on the footpath. I stopped running and just kept walking chatting to the dog. As I past him, he lunged up and grabbed my leg at the back of my knee. It was very colourful for a long time :eek:

I tend to try to have my eyes everywhere in carparks, because pedestrians can take their right of way to extremes :(

I do agree but I do think that people need to at least use their head

Yep - there is no way that the lady should have to endure that and it is NEVER the person's fault IMO.

One of my girls is incredibly motion sensitive and will lunge at runners who as they go past us - totally my responsibility to control. I would be horrified if ever she hurt someone.

That said it is frustrating when people just don't use their head. The other morning we had 6 Borders out for a walk and a jogger thought it would be OK to run through the middle of us with his dog in tow. (we, 3 people and the dogs, were tucked over to one side of the road and he came upon us from behind.) Joggers who do the same thing without a dog are just as frustrating. IMO it's a bit like driving a car as close as you can get to a cyclist or pedestrian and wondering why when they get upset.

Edited by Agility Dogs