Plastic Dog Kennel

johnmw1

Hi,

I have been in search for a decent quality heavy duty, uv resistant, insulated, weatherproof plastic dog kennel to house my large German Shepherd.

Who knows maybe they don't really exist, but the ones I have found such as the Ferplast, which can be bought at Bunnings for $199, or the Tuff N Rugged for $214. You start digging deeper into the reviews and they don't seem as good as the blurb would have you believe.

I'm looking at plastic simply for the ease of being able to hose it out when necessary as opposed to the very heavy timber one I built which you need a forklift for just to move it. I'm shifting house so don't really want to transport the old kennel as it's starting to rot anyway.

Or as an alternative this Somerset A Frame as at least it has a slide out bottom for easy cleaning and is $139.95 on Ebay.

Your ideas and comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John

I would be looking for a kennel with a side opening to help prevent wind and raining blowing straight in. I have one of these and find it quite reasonable. I give it a coat of oil a couple of times a year and it's coming up to 3 years old. Plenty big enough for a GSD.

I would be looking for a kennel with a side opening to help prevent wind and raining blowing straight in. I have one of these and find it quite reasonable. I give it a coat of oil a couple of times a year and it's coming up to 3 years old. Plenty big enough for a GSD.

Hi Rebanne,

Thanks for the reply.

You know I had never considered something like that with the door on the side rather than front on and it makes a lot of sense too, I wonder if you could hose it out occasionally if you made sure it dried properly? What was the quality like considering how many of these there seem to be in the market?

Cheers,

John

Hi Rebanne,

Thanks for the reply.

You know I had never considered something like that with the door on the side rather than front on and it makes a lot of sense too, I wonder if you could hose it out occasionally if you made sure it dried properly? What was the quality like considering how many of these there seem to be in the market?

Cheers,

John

it's sat out in the weather year round, I think it's reasonable quality and at that price you can buy a new one if needed every few years. I think the secret is to keep the oil up to it. The huge marine ply kennel I have is over 24 years old but can't move it :D

I have a couple of these Hound House

they are made of heavy duty canvas & have a weather proof mattress inside & the whole lot is easy to hose out. Plus they fold up if you want to travel with them, but I use crates for that.

I have a hound house too :)

My dogs all love it, and i think i am going to have to buy a second so they dont all fight bout it haha

they are made of heavy duty canvas & have a weather proof mattress inside & the whole lot is easy to hose out. Plus they fold up if you want to travel with them, but I use crates for that.

We have a few of these too and they're excellent. Very sturdy, easy to clean and all the parts are replaceable. I'd suggest shopping around though, The XL size (which fits greyhounds so should comfortably fit a GSD) vary in price a lot between retailers. I paid $189 (including postage) for my last one, some places sell for over $220.

I've noticed there are some knockoff varities (like the Mutt Hut) but they seem to be held together with velcro so I'd avoid those.

We have a few of these too and they're excellent. Very sturdy, easy to clean and all the parts are replaceable. I'd suggest shopping around though, The XL size (which fits greyhounds so should comfortably fit a GSD) vary in price a lot between retailers. I paid $189 (including postage) for my last one, some places sell for over $220.

I've noticed there are some knockoff varities (like the Mutt Hut) but they seem to be held together with velcro so I'd avoid those.

Glad you said that!

I almost bought a Mutt Hut yesterday, but then decided i would shop around and see if i could get a better price.

Definitely stick to hound house :)

Thanks to everyone for their input and again another option I had not considered with regards to the Hound House. I do have to ask though how warm they actually are in winter compared to a solid wood or plastic kennel? I did see a hound house and vaguely remember seeing gaps between the sides and the base and thought gee I bet that's a bit breezy in winter. With our house move at least the kennel will not be out in the open and will be under cover of the back veranda.

Cheers,

John

Thanks to everyone for their input and again another option I had not considered with regards to the Hound House. I do have to ask though how warm they actually are in winter compared to a solid wood or plastic kennel? I did see a hound house and vaguely remember seeing gaps between the sides and the base and thought gee I bet that's a bit breezy in winter. With our house move at least the kennel will not be out in the open and will be under cover of the back veranda.

Cheers,

John

Mine house greyhounds (notorious whingers if they aren't entirely comfortable) and we have no complaints here. Once the mat is in, it's surprisingly toasty inside. I don't generally put blankets in mine (because my dogs like to drag blankets onto the lawn for sunbaking in style) but that would make it even more soft and comfortable.

I spent a lot of time looking into what to get my guys and plastic kennels just didn't seem worth it. The Houndhouse has a raised floor (which I think is better) and you can also buy the weather flap to go over the door to keep it dry in wet weather.

Aesthetics is another consideration. Every plastic kennel I've seen has looked awful once put outside in the weather. My Houndhouses have faded very slightly but they still look nice.

Cheers,

John

I havn't noticed any gaps in mine. Mine are on a verandah so are out of the weather & they only sleep in there during the day. I do put a snuggly blanket in so they can scrunch it up. Really they are quite snug without being hot. My young guy did some renovations on his when he was younger, but thankfully he has matured :laugh:

P1010812-Copy.jpg

:laugh: sheena!

I agree, mine have also been comfortable, no complaints here, though they just use it during the day when i am out. They sleep inside otherwise.

But it is weatherproof and i have often come home to two of them squished into it haha

hence the need for another..

Also no gap on mine :) I have the green one, and it is older, i actually got it from a neighbour who's dog never used it. But it looks nice still :)

They also have blue and camo i think :)

:laugh: sheena!

I agree, mine have also been comfortable, no complaints here, though they just use it during the day when i am out. They sleep inside otherwise.

But it is weatherproof and i have often come home to two of them squished into it haha

hence the need for another..

Also no gap on mine :) I have the green one, and it is older, i actually got it from a neighbour who's dog never used it. But it looks nice still :)

They also have blue and camo i think :)

Yes, every morning we would hear a commotion on the front veranda, with lots of growling & banging. He gradually made the doorway bigger & preferred to turn it upside down & lay in like that. He used to try & pull it along the veranda & out the door onto the lawn & it would get stuck :laugh: He still loves this one best, even though the other one is still in perfect condition. :)

Hi people,

Sorry for my absence the last few days I have just been doing some crazy shifts which make it difficult for me to even get close to a computer.

Love your happy snap Sheena, that must be one fun loving dog you have there. :thumbsup:

As for kennels I'm still torn between the traditional wooden type V the Hound House but I do like the portability of the Hound House.

Cheers,

John

Does anyone have a Hound House that is out in the weather all the time?

We were just about to order a new wooden kennel but when we pulled the old one down we found a few red backs :eek:

Our kennels is very rarely used but we like to have one for the occasional time he is left out, does anyone think the Hound House would be suitable for our needs?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of the Ecoflex Lodge Style.

I have a home made kennel that just sits on the deck for any of my dogs to go into if they want to - happens once in a blue moon. The roof lifts up and the floor (which has long since rotted away) would slide out.

Maybe check if any of the kennels for sale have lift up rooves.

I like the look of the Ecoflex Lodge Style.

I have a home made kennel that just sits on the deck for any of my dogs to go into if they want to - happens once in a blue moon. The roof lifts up and the floor (which has long since rotted away) would slide out.

Maybe check if any of the kennels for sale have lift up rooves.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, do you have any links for the Ecoflex as I can so far only find them in the US?

Cheers,

John

Does anyone have a Hound House that is out in the weather all the time?

We were just about to order a new wooden kennel but when we pulled the old one down we found a few red backs :eek:

Our kennels is very rarely used but we like to have one for the occasional time he is left out, does anyone think the Hound House would be suitable for our needs?

Yes Jaxxie, i think they are totally suited to being outside. It may fade a little, but mine has held up very well :)

Do you think THIS would be the genuine article or a cheap knock off considering how much cheaper it is compared to anywhere else?

Cheers,

John

The picture is the genuine article, so if it is the same as the picture then yes :)