Dog Doesn't Like Obedience Class

Have you tried werribee? We go to werribee and the instructors are great, they really work with everyone's individual needs and there's a few instructors per group. Our pup is an absolute banana at classes, but he gets the same amount of attention as everyone else, and people are free to move away or pull aside an instructor to get one on one help. They're also big on it being fun for people and dogs and throwing food at them for every little win. Might be worth dropping in to an induction and asking how they'd manage things?

Edited by Steph M

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are they teaching Agility?

If you want to compete, they must be using positive reinforcement. If they are using any kind of corrections during agility class then I would be hesitant.

I don't know if Agility Dog Club of Vic is currently operating - going by a thread here - my best advice is to go down there on a Friday night to their training grounds and enquire as to whether they're running any foundation classes this year.

It sounds as though you've done very well so far to use rewards in a hostile environment. :thumbsup:

We currently go to Altona Civic Dog Obedience Club. I have to admit, there were some horrid trainers and instructors in my class a few weeks ago. It was enough to scare me, so I can only imagine how frightened Bonnie must be. I was the only one in today's class that was using food rewards for their dog. Our previous club was Northern Obedience Dog Club, and they were using primarily negative reinforcement as well.

That doesn't sound too good :/ it may not be the reason why Bonnie is not keen on obedience but it would help you and her to be going somewhere that is using the training style you prefer and most of all where you're having fun. If you're feeling scared I can imagine she would too.

Since it's very close to you (I think you mentioned something about your parents having an effect on where you go) I would recommend Keilor, there's lots of dogs with a range of different needs in our class and they are all dealt with and catered too, everyone has a good time and there a few trainers per class + assistants (and it's all positive reinforcement).

I also checked out Werribee which Steph mentioned and it looked very good as well (I only ended up at Keilor because it was closer).

Next joining date is the first Sunday of May but you could come down on a Sunday morning and check it out, speak to some of the trainers and see what they have to say.

Eta. woops realised you said yoy didnt want to change clubs, never mind!

Edited by Terri S.

Have you tried werribee?

To start agility at Werribee, I have to pass two of their obedience classes (I'd rather avoid going through more obedience at another club if possible). Agility classes at Altona was my birthday present for this year, and my parents won't want me to ditch my current classes for some new ones. I'll keep Werribee in mind though, they sound pretty good on their website.

I'm not sure if you live in Altona or the outskirts, but Bulla Agility Dogs looks as though they are taking applications for foundations very soon. Whereis says it's 35 minutes Altona -> Bulla. :)

I can't afford classes at Bulla. Bonnie and I are past the foundation level, and foundation is mandatory at Bulla. I'd rather not waste over $100 going to classes that will teach me what I already know. I'm sure there's a few things I can learn there, but I'm wanting to go straight into real agility, with full sized equipment and all.

How are they teaching Agility?

If you want to compete, they must be using positive reinforcement. If they are using any kind of corrections during agility class then I would be hesitant.

I don't know if Agility Dog Club of Vic is currently operating - going by a thread here - my best advice is to go down there on a Friday night to their training grounds and enquire as to whether they're running any foundation classes this year.

It sounds as though you've done very well so far to use rewards in a hostile environment. :thumbsup:

I have no idea how they run their classes. It looks like very one on one training, lots of tugging and happy voices. It looks like they're using positive reinforcement, but I don't know. But I've only been able to watch a small portion of their class, as it's being run at the same time as my obedience class.

Whereabouts is the Agility Club of Vic? As I said, my parents probably won't let me change clubs.

I'm not sure if you live in Altona or the outskirts, but Bulla Agility Dogs looks as though they are taking applications for foundations very soon. Whereis says it's 35 minutes Altona -> Bulla. :)

I can't afford classes at Bulla. Bonnie and I are past the foundation level, and foundation is mandatory at Bulla. I'd rather not waste over $100 going to classes that will teach me what I already know. I'm sure there's a few things I can learn there, but I'm wanting to go straight into real agility, with full sized equipment and all.

So I have to dispel that little myth! It's really important to have a clear handling system to be successful in modern agility trials - as handlers we learn that and teach that to our dogs away from equipment and maybe just over one or two jumps. My dogs and I are learning a new handling system at the moment and have done little else but 1 jump work on low height for several weeks. And they both run in Masters! You can never do too much foundation. Do you follow a handling system at all? I'm not sure what Bulla teach.

So I have to dispel that little myth! It's really important to have a clear handling system to be successful in modern agility trials - as handlers we learn that and teach that to our dogs away from equipment and maybe just over one or two jumps. My dogs and I are learning a new handling system at the moment and have done little else but 1 jump work on low height for several weeks. And they both run in Masters! You can never do too much foundation. Do you follow a handling system at all? I'm not sure what Bulla teach.

I've been told that Bulla's foundation class is very basic. It's primarily about teaching you how to properly reward the dog, how to get the dog motivated, an introduction to trick shaping as well as learning some games to play with it as a reward. No equipment is involved at all. It's all an introduction to dog training basically. This is what I've heard from other people, so I have no idea if this is true or not.

For me, I reckon this class will have no real benefit to what I'm already doing with Bonnie. It seems way too simple for what I'm wanting in an agility class. And on top of this, the class comes with a big price tag that I can't afford.

I don't know any handling systems. I'm starting to look into Susan Garret's handling system, but I haven't gotten far. I've had no classes or anything, all self taught. Basically everything I've learned has been from watching others online, or I made up something myself. I could be doing everything wrong for all I know. Lack of money, equipment and yard space is not helping either.

There is a lot I need to learn, and there's a huge amount of room for improvement on both ends of the leash, but I don't want to go into a class learning how to train my dog from naught.

Yep - absolutely it's a tough place to be in - been there, done that as a teen and it's frustrating. I also lack space, time and equipment too and it's only having a car that's allowed me to tap into some of the great local trainers (I know you're a bit younger than the rest of us!) I am learning Susan Garett handling system at the moment. It's great and my youngster is gaining more confidence than ever.

Shame you're not closer as I'd be happy to help you train sometimes.

It is a tough spot to be in.

Personally, if my dogs are working flat and are lacking motivation/desire to work with me, that is what I concentrate on, and for that you need more rewards and know how to make it exciting, not less.

My young dog is very keen but VERY easily distracted with the attention span of a gnat! I've been struggling to get outr tugging where I would like it, especially in public, so have just decided to concentrate primarily on making the game FUN, and have scaled any more serious training right back! While it is incredibly frustrating considering friends with similar aged dogs have them doing proper equipment and handling, and I am still struggling with basic focus, I know from experience with my other dog that time spent on getting my reward system and desire to work in place now will make everything so much more enjoyable and easier later down the track.

Personally, if my dogs are working flat and are lacking motivation/desire to work with me, that is what I concentrate on, and for that you need more rewards and know how to make it exciting, not less.

My young dog is very keen but VERY easily distracted with the attention span of a gnat! I've been struggling to get outr tugging where I would like it, especially in public, so have just decided to concentrate primarily on making the game FUN, and have scaled any more serious training right back! While it is incredibly frustrating considering friends with similar aged dogs have them doing proper equipment and handling, and I am still struggling with basic focus, I know from experience with my other dog that time spent on getting my reward system and desire to work in place now will make everything so much more enjoyable and easier later down the track.

I've been trying to excited her during class. I get criticized for even small amounts of praise, so it's hard to train Bonnie like I normally would without getting some sort of look from the other trainers. I'm the only one in class who uses food, so I look really out of place in class already. I could move 10m from the class and Bonnie will be fine, working as normal. I'm trying to still maintain the usual amount of excitement and praise as I normally would give her, but it's hard when all the trainers are telling me to do the exact opposite. Bonnie does have a strong desire to work, but it's really hard to channel that drive into sometime we both don't enjoy. And that's our biggest issue.

I am a little confused .... if you both do not enjoy it ..then is it not possible to do your work the safe distance away ?

I also don't quite understand why you persevere with an unhappy dog , and a degree of frustration and disappointment for you. I think you may need to take a step back ... do lots of work on your skills ...so , if Bonnie really loves agility work , you can guide her and both enjoy yourselves.

I presume Bonnie loves the agility stuff ..and throws herself into teh challenge of learning new things generally ? :)

I've been trying to excited her during class. I get criticized for even small amounts of praise, so it's hard to train Bonnie like I normally would without getting some sort of look from the other trainers. I'm the only one in class who uses food, so I look really out of place in class already. I could move 10m from the class and Bonnie will be fine, working as normal. I'm trying to still maintain the usual amount of excitement and praise as I normally would give her, but it's hard when all the trainers are telling me to do the exact opposite. Bonnie does have a strong desire to work, but it's really hard to channel that drive into sometime we both don't enjoy. And that's our biggest issue.

Personally, if that was the attitude of the club, I would stop going and look for another club that promotes more positive working relationships. I know that is difficult to do in your circumstances, but I would not persist in going to a club that will not allow me to use the methods and rewards that I want and that my dog works best for.

There is not much point going if you are not enjoying it and the dog is not enjoying it.

Edited by Kavik

Personally, if that was the attitude of the club, I would stop going and look for another club that promotes more positive working relationships. I know that is difficult to do in your circumstances, but I would not persist in going to a club that will not allow me to use the methods and rewards that I want and that my dog works best for.

Agree.

I am a little confused .... if you both do not enjoy it ..then is it not possible to do your work the safe distance away ?

I also don't quite understand why you persevere with an unhappy dog , and a degree of frustration and disappointment for you. I think you may need to take a step back ... do lots of work on your skills ...so , if Bonnie really loves agility work , you can guide her and both enjoy yourselves.

I presume Bonnie loves the agility stuff ..and throws herself into teh challenge of learning new things generally ? :)

Yes she's a very eager learner. Loooves her tricks and agility :)

The only way I can take agility classes, is if I get to class 4 in obedience. We're in class 3 right now (we've only had four obedience classes this year, we've done well), so all we have to do is pass one more class. My parents won't let me change clubs, so this is only chance I'll ever have of taking agility classes.

I have to be assessed by the head trainer to be able to get into agility. I got assessed yesterday, which only involves off lead heeling. Since Bonnie doesn't like obedience, she was "heeling" about a meter behind me. Yes she was very slow, but she was responding to my commands reasonably well and didn't run off. The dog has to be able to work offlead and have a good recall, we didn't get tested on either of these things. Basically he said something like "your dog is too slow for agility. If you do agility now you will ruin all of your obedience training (not that I care). Come back when you're in class four."

I don't see how Bonnie's poor heel work will effect her agility, but that's what I'm being assessed on. I've been assessed twice now.

So for now, I'm stuck.

There is not much point going if you are not enjoying it and the dog is not enjoying it.

I would move, but my parents won't let me change clubs. I can't afford a proper agility club, and I don't want to have to repeat the whole obedience thing at anther club. This is the only way I'd ever be able to take agility classes. I really want to compete in agility, it's the one thing I've wanted for about 2 years. Until I get classes I can't do anything.

I would move, but my parents won't let me change clubs. I can't afford a proper agility club, and I don't want to have to repeat the whole obedience thing at anther club. This is the only way I'd ever be able to take agility classes. I really want to compete in agility, it's the one thing I've wanted for about 2 years. Until I get classes I can't do anything.