Petplan Premium Increase

aliwake

Just logged on to my internet banking to see that my petplan monthly premium has increased by 50% - no notification or warning!

I just got off the phone and they have had a massive overhaul of their policies, and now take into account breed and other factors. I guess labradors are costing them money in a big way, going by the increase.

They also now offer a '12 month essentials' plan, which only provides cover for a particular condition for 12 months, rather than providing ongoing lifetime cover.

I'm considering dropping down to the lower level 'Classic' cover, to make it a little more affordable... My new premium is $75.48 per month!!!

Our policy was up for renewal, but I would have appreciated some notification before they actually started taking extra money out of our account! Not very impressed.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was considering getting Petplan now that I have a full time job (rather than just putting money into a bank account), and noticed that the premium estimate was MUCH higher then when I did it last year frown.gif

Edited by LisaCC

I asked if they would take into consideration whether the individual dog's parents were health tested, and she said no - it's based on the total overall claims for the breed. It's ridiculous! Having said that, it is excellent cover and they have paid many times for us without complaint, but it's a bit shocking to suddenly see such a big jump with no warning or explanation.

I asked if they would take into consideration whether the individual dog's parents were health tested, and she said no - it's based on the total overall claims for the breed. It's ridiculous! Having said that, it is excellent cover and they have paid many times for us without complaint, but it's a bit shocking to suddenly see such a big jump with no warning or explanation.

Looking on their Facebook page a lot of people are complaining. I think a lot of people might be in for a shock if they haven't looked yet.

I would imagine at that rate you would be better off without insurance and maybe set money aside yourself and earn interest on it, with those premiums you would want his vet fees to be over $9000 over the next 10 years, and that's if the premiums don't go up again which they will

I would imagine at that rate you would be better off without insurance and maybe set money aside yourself and earn interest on it, with those premiums you would want his vet fees to be over $9000 over the next 10 years, and that's if the premiums don't go up again which they will

certainly something I'll be considering in the next year or so Leah. In the meantime we can save $10/month by reducing the level of cover slightly. He has a few on-going issues that need sorting before we drop it.

OT: It's a shame they don't take into account health testing for certain genetic diseases. This may actually encourage people to look for a breeder that does the required testing when looking for a puppy

I just went and added my 2c to fb - good idea Lisa.

Put it in the "review" section if you don't want them to delete it.

yeah, I couldn't see any normal comments on their wall, so I figured a review was the way to go :)

I'm most annoyed that they couldn't even man up and tell me before they took money out of my account. so rude!

Just went and had a look, mine are currently $45 (monthly) each, a new pup would be $71 or $80, depending on what level I took in the 4 life category. I assume the other two will increase to the same amount when due for renewal. And the excess has gone up. Insurance has paid off for Fern, had over $5000 in bills in a 6 month period, and is on going. I liked the 4life cover but will have to rethink it now and the alternative therapies. I can't afford $210 a month for the dogs insurance.

I just went and added my 2c to fb - good idea Lisa.

Put it in the "review" section if you don't want them to delete it.

yeah, I couldn't see any normal comments on their wall, so I figured a review was the way to go :)

I'm most annoyed that they couldn't even man up and tell me before they took money out of my account. so rude!

Just as well you had the money to cover it, but I thought it would be illegal to not tell you prior.

Just been on the site to see how much each of mine will be. Here's what I was quoted

Mya - Siberian Husky $58.34 a month

Jenna Samoyed x GR ( I tried Samoyed x and GR x got same amount) $58.34

Luka - Australian Shepherd $65.93

I find it very strange that the Australian Shepherd is the more expensive one. They are a pretty hardy breed and haven't got a great incidence of hip dysplasia. Strange.

Just checked and my present monthly premium for the 3 is $125.88 inc. the 10% discount for having three dogs so overall though I think my monthly outgoings will increase by about $40 to about $163 Not great but not enough to make me cancel.

Edited by teekay

So they are not telling you, just taking the extra money straight out of your account???? :mad

As rebanne said, surely that is illegal?!

Mine is $36 per month (accident and illness) and there is no way I'd be willing to pay double that.

Edited by aussielover

Just been on the site to see how much each of mine will be. Here's what I was quoted

I find it very strange that the Australian Shepherd is the more expensive one. They are a pretty hardy breed and haven't got a great incidence of hip dysplasia. Strange.

Just checked and my present monthly premium for the 3 is $125.88 inc. the 10% discount for having three dogs so overall though I think my monthly outgoings will increase by about $40 to about $163 Not great but not enough to make me cancel.

for what level of cover? The 12 month only or the 4life one?

Just went and had a look, mine are currently $45 (monthly) each, a new pup would be $71 or $80, depending on what level I took in the 4 life category. I assume the other two will increase to the same amount when due for renewal. And the excess has gone up. Insurance has paid off for Fern, had over $5000 in bills in a 6 month period, and is on going. I liked the 4life cover but will have to rethink it now and the alternative therapies. I can't afford $210 a month for the dogs insurance.

I can't find how much the excess is Rebanne? How much is it now?

for what level of cover? The 12 month only or the 4life one?

Defnitely the 4Life cover.

So they are not telling you, just taking the extra money straight out of your account???? :mad

As rebanne said, surely that is illegal?!

Mine is $36 per month (accident and illness) and there is no way I'd be willing to pay double that.

You'd think so wouldn't you...

Apparently my policy renewal was on the 13th May, the money came out on the 15th, so I suspect they've mailed me something but obviously I haven't got it yet.

I know with my home insurance they inform me several weeks in advance and give me an opportunity to cancel or switch to another option when it's renewal time...

In an ideal world, I would have received a polite letter several weeks ago explaining the changes, and acknowledging the large increase, and outlining what cost their other policies would be in case I needed to consider a cheaper option. Very very poor business practice.

I can't find how much the excess is Rebanne? How much is it now?

excess now is $100, for the new cover it is $150 for the 3 stages of 4life cover and for the basic 12 month cover it was more then that and there was increased co payments if your dog was over 9. I didn't take much notice of the 12 month cover cause I was trying to see what the changes were for the type of cover I have now

Excess was at the bottom of the tables after I pretended to want a quote.