Augustine Approved

Airedaler

You can have adverse reactions to anything, natural, man made and in between! Best is to try and see, if you have an adverse reaction don't try that again, if not give it a go it might just help.

Yep exactly.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where the calcium is in this diet given that there is no bone content

There is some calcium in lentils and in meat products and some other vegies.

I don't feed my dog bones on a regular basis. They get stuck and cause problems - because she doesn't chew them properly.

But she got a boiled egg this morning in its shell - and she ate some of that - though it usually goes straight through unchanged, there is some calcium in that. Most of my dog's calcium comes from dairy (yogurt). Same as me - I don't eat bones either.

I would not think a dog would be getting adequate calcium from muscle meat and/or veg/lentils alone and I can find no mention of adding dairy or calcium supps to the diet on the AA+ page either.

Hence the question: Does the Superboost supplement contain adequate calcium to form a complete and balanced diet once mixed with muscle meat and veg in the same way that VAN does (thus eliminating the need for bones) or not?

I'm not knocking the Superboost supplement, I'm questioning the 'Superfood' recipe - particularly the vegan variation.

where the calcium is in this diet given that there is no bone content

There is some calcium in lentils and in meat products and some other vegies.

I don't feed my dog bones on a regular basis. They get stuck and cause problems - because she doesn't chew them properly.

But she got a boiled egg this morning in its shell - and she ate some of that - though it usually goes straight through unchanged, there is some calcium in that. Most of my dog's calcium comes from dairy (yogurt). Same as me - I don't eat bones either.

I would not think a dog would be getting adequate calcium from muscle meat and/or veg/lentils alone and I can find no mention of adding dairy or calcium supps to the diet on the AA+ page either.

Hence the question: Does the Superboost supplement contain adequate calcium to form a complete and balanced diet once mixed with muscle meat and veg in the same way that VAN does (thus eliminating the need for bones) or not?

I'm not knocking the Superboost supplement, I'm questioning the 'Superfood' recipe - particularly the vegan variation.

Good question. I don't do their diets, I only use the supplement, but I would be very interested in the answer.

I dunno the answer. I don't know how much calcium a dog (or a human) needs to do well.

Vegans can get enough calcium to grow strong bones - I don't know how they do that but some are healthy.

I guess if you had a dog that seemed to be allergic to everything and was losing weight at high speed and this diet reversed that - would you trade a dying dog for one that is fairly healthy but has weak bones? Not saying this product can do that.

But would love people to contribute data... eg did nothing noticiable, did something (seems better, seems worse).

Humans (be they vegan or not) are omnivores, dogs are carnivores. I personally don't believe that a vegan diet is in the best interests of any 'normal' dog.

Dogs with protein sensitivities (Allergies, IBS, IBD, etc) can more then often be given a green (plant based) calcium supplement without issues. http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/natural_animal_solutions_natures_organic_calcium#.U4Rk7vmSySo

As I said, I'm not knocking the superboost supplement. I'm currently feeding it to both my dogs, and results so far are positive. In the OPs case it may certainly be worth a try. However, I can't get my head around the diet. I can see that certain ingredients in the superboost supp do contain calcium, though can't see how it would be adequate as the only calcium source in a stand alone diet.

Whatever product you decide to use, make sure to aim for one which works to *balance* the immune system, not *boost* it. If there is a possible issue which relates to the immune system already being over-active, you don't want to make it more so.

Airdaler - In addition to the AA recommended diet and SuperBoost, I had my dog's hair-DNA tested. As a consequence of the results and analysis, one of the recommended substances I was *prescribed* was the use of Lugol's Solution. This can be taken orally, but didn't suit my dog. I used it instead to treat hives, boils and other skin ailments that still from time to time, occur. I have found Lugol's to be the best thing to use (way better than other iodine based treatments) and tends to help in settling and healing. I use it when Calendula Tea isn't quite enough by itself. Have no idea whether this would be good for your dog's instance, but wondering if I mentioned to you about hair-DNA testing before? What I liked about this was that it is completely non-invasive and in our instance doesn't involve taking your dog for more poking and prodding.

Edited by Erny

Anyone who has had children with food intolerances or has looked into food intolerances with their children wouldn't be remotely surprised that some weird hippy shi!t works with dogs too. :thumbsup:

Lets face it - if your dog isn't doing well and you've tried a few things how on earth could it hurt to try something else? Sure you might add it to the pile of "crap that didn't work" but better to try it and fail than to wonder if it may have made the difference.

Weird hippy shit can make these things worse too. Speaking from experience of someone that has food allergies. For instance 2 of the ingredients in this formula have caused major issues for me (chia & maca). Maybe that is why I am quite careful now. Vitamins, herbs, minerals can cause harm.

ETA: have had nasty issues with flaxseed too!

Definitely agree with this. I have sarcoidosis (another crappy immune disease, complete with crappy granulomas everywhere) and multivitamins that contain vitamin D make me feel incredibly ill- tired, sore, monster headaches, etc.

When it comes to things that do have a pharmacological effect, they should be treated with a bit of care because what may be great for one person (or dog) could make another person (or dog) very unwell.

And as Jules pointed out, the fact that Phivo Christodoulou has no relevant training in nutrition or veterinary medicine should be of concern. Even more concerning is pushing vegan diets/supplements for dogs. And if that's not enough of a red flag, here he is, claiming to have a cure for cancer..

We produced a bandage using just two of the ten ingredients found in Augustine’s SuperBoost mixed with virgin cold-pressed coconut oil and we are receiving written and photographic testimonials that our method is destroying diagnosed cancerous tumours, fatty cysts, warts and skin growths in a matter of days. Here is the video that started it all…

The most reliable symptom of quackery is the sufferer believing they can cure cancer.

If all that seems overly negative or snarky.. it's because I think this kind of pseudoscience is especially dangerous and even more disgusting than most because it takes advantage of loving pet owners- people who just want to do the right thing by their dogs. Maybe the creator really believes what he's saying but that doesn't make it better (and it doesn't make his products actually work).

I do think you make some valid points, however if we look at one of the ingredients which I would hazard a guess is the main and active ingredient of the "bandage" and also the supplement- it is Turmeric. Turmeric is not a new age hippy thing. It has been used for thousands of years and is being researched extensively for its western medical properties and its uses - and one of them is cancer.

Interestingly, pharmaceutical company Johnsons make a turmeric impregnated bandaid for the Indian market. So this AA wonder ingredient is not really unique or far removed from science.

The following link has a little info and cites sources, should you be interested in finding out more. I have not gone into any great research either, but there is research out there if you are prepared to look for it.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric

I don't think there is ever anything that is suitable for all people and all dogs, it is just not possible. Turmeric may indeed have contraindications with some medications.

The idea of a vegan dog disturbs me greatly, but if all other avenues have been exhausted and the dog can eat the vegan meal with a modicum of enjoyment and function well, then I don't think it is such a bad thing.

I've got a dog that is a vego for health reasons. So there is a need. But the vegan food is not balanced imo as a vego myself of 30 years. Lentils aren't a complete source of protein.

I've got a dog that is a vego for health reasons. So there is a need. But the vegan food is not balanced imo as a vego myself of 30 years. Lentils aren't a complete source of protein.

Having to feed the dog vegan for veterinary reasons is a very different thing though, given it's not really a choice.

Pushing food ethics onto dogs (where it isn't of benefit) is a whole other story, and not just because of what they lose in nutrition.

I do think you make some valid points, however if we look at one of the ingredients which I would hazard a guess is the main and active ingredient of the "bandage" and also the supplement- it is Turmeric. Turmeric is not a new age hippy thing. It has been used for thousands of years and is being researched extensively for its western medical properties and its uses - and one of them is cancer.

Interestingly, pharmaceutical company Johnsons make a turmeric impregnated bandaid for the Indian market. So this AA wonder ingredient is not really unique or far removed from science.

The following link has a little info and cites sources, should you be interested in finding out more. I have not gone into any great research either, but there is research out there if you are prepared to look for it.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric

I don't think there is ever anything that is suitable for all people and all dogs, it is just not possible. Turmeric may indeed have contraindications with some medications.

The idea of a vegan dog disturbs me greatly, but if all other avenues have been exhausted and the dog can eat the vegan meal with a modicum of enjoyment and function well, then I don't think it is such a bad thing.

I'm familiar with the concept but again, potential pharmacological effect in humans =/= cures cancer in dogs. It's certainly worth studying but with no evidence that turmeric is of any benefit (and that it doesn't cause any harm), there's really no reason to be including it in a dog's diet.

Turmeric most certainly has shown to be of benefit in both humans and animals. I would discount it so easily.

A vet who believes in homeopathy? Nope, that just makes discounting it even easier.

Put 100 professionals in a room, and one will be a nutjob. Or 1000.

I don't have much respect for that woman's info either.

But there are some better studies about turmeric somewhere.

This has an article about the beneficial chemistry of some plants including turmeric as an anti cancer agent.

http://thetriplehelix.uchicago.edu/img/journals/2012Spring_Journal.pdf#page=37

But they still need to do some research - ie is the lower cancer rate in India - from cultural attitude, geography or what they eat. and is it turmeric or something else like tamarind or pepper.

As this thread has gone way off topic I will just say thank you to all that have answered my original post and to others with useful suggestions.

I will probably try this supplement when I am able to buy some because I don't see it will do any harm. I don't think I would follow the AA diet but what I feed now is not a lot different. I have been fortunate to source some raw green tripe and will be interested to see if there is any improvement feeding that.