Companion

Lloyd

I think most dogs are capable of being home alone for periods of time so long as that's what they get used to from day one.

It gets harder as they get older if they've been used to spending a lot of time with other dogs.

Our cocker spaniel has always lived with another dog so was understandably pretty miserable when he ended up as an only dog, we persisted with trying to resolve separation anxiety issues for about 6 months and then gave up and got Sarah. He still prefers human company but overall he's a lot happier, but that's part of the breed as well.

I think most dogs are capable of being home alone for periods of time so long as that's what they get used to from day one.

It gets harder as they get older if they've been used to spending a lot of time with other dogs.

Our cocker spaniel has always lived with another dog so was understandably pretty miserable when he ended up as an only dog, we persisted with trying to resolve separation anxiety issues for about 6 months and then gave up and got Sarah. He still prefers human company but overall he's a lot happier, but that's part of the breed as well.

What age do I start leaving it by itself or do I start as soon as I get him. Or do I slowly brake him into it a bit at a time.

I think it just depends on the dog. Some cope with it some don't. I think BC's are quite people oriented, so they need time to be with their people and that is what keeps them happy (generalisation obviously!). My first girl had lived with another dog for the first 9 years of her life then was on her own for 2 years with me, she did fine. Then Kenz had 11 months on her own after my old girl died, she did fine. Hamish, well he hassn't known life without another dog, but he has at least 2 days a week at home on his own and he's fine. But my dogs are able to be in the house when they are left at home, and I do a lot with them. Pretty much if I'm gong to do something they usually come with me. We go to shows or trials on weekends, we go to training during the week and sometimes on weekends, they come to work 2 days a week with me. I actually think they like their day at home because it gives them a break!!!

ETA - Oh, and I started leaving them at home from Day 1 and within a week they were doing full days alone at home.

Edited by Pretty Miss Emma

As long the dog is not used in lieu of owner-dog time. I know people who have companions for their dogs but give both equal amounts of one-on-one time and the dogs are happy and well-adjusted. I also know people who get another dog for the sake of their first dog and then they have two frustrated and destructive dogs and even less time.

When you get a puppy , I suggest leaving it alone for some time from day one , so it does not get accustomed to being with humans 24/7. Obviously it needs to be warm, have an enclosed bed/kennel and be in a secure pen - have food & water ..and nothing dangerous around .

I had my first border collie under those circumstances and he wasn't a happy chappy. Lots of destruction of the garden despite walks and training. He had a cat friend too. I got a second border collie and all such activity stopped. I've always had 2 since. They all prefer to be with me but do like each other for company, they are usually hanging out together.

I believe it depends on the dog. Some of mine are happy to laze at home all day while we are at work. We share our home with our dogs and spend our free time doing things with them. As long as you are prepared to spend plenty of time before and after work with your dog, I'm sure all will go well.

Good luck with your search