Introduction To Scent Sports

That looks like loads of fun. Would love to try that with Sonny. He is very scent driven.

Looks like a great facility as well. Would love to try their reactive dog course as well, looks very interesting.

I have- great positive environment and lots of different activities that you can continue on with!!

Sent work is great fun too! :thumbsup:

Thanks :D I think I will do it - even though it's a fair drive from home. It's a bit of a "going back to uni / there goes my life" pressie. :)

Update: We had our first class today - it was fantastic! Good class, really lovely staff, lots of happy dogs and two repeat customers / clients in my class of 4 (which I always think is a great sign).

Scottie gave it 4 paws up - the nice man hid chickens in a box and let him eat it. Scotties only complaint was that he had to wait for his go...

On a slightly different note: close to 2.5 hours (total) in the car and Scottie didn't puke! Go Scottsmith!

Some times they travel - maybe they'd do an intense clinic over 2 days or something if there was enough demand? I did read one blog where a lady taught her self (and the dog).

Will see if I can find it.

So week two wasn't as much fun. We had the trainer who is to be our regular trainer (she was off sick last week) and I think she was over compensating for missing last week. Too much theory - we only got two runs each (last week we got 4).

I also got in trouble because my treats were too big (just smaller then a large kibble / large pal meaty bite)...

Not sure where in Port Stephens you are BC Crazy but we are at Medowie and would definitely be keen if they were happy to travel :)

Hi DeltaCharlie, I don't know why but I thought you lived in Queanbeyan but I'm so glad I was wrong & you live near me :laugh: I'm at Corlette so your not very far away at all. I'm not experienced like you though Delta but everyone has to start some where I guess.

Oh OK then Delta. I lived in Queanbeyan a lot of years ago. Hated it :laugh: Too bloody cold for me...Hope you are liking your new move. I love it here but not a very 'doggie' area unfortunately. Have to travel lots for doggie things to do I've found. Seems everything is on in Sydney. Lucky both my guys love the car. OH isn't very keen on being dragged around to too many doggie things. He isn't a BC tragic like me :o

My male has always shown an interest in scent type activities & finding things that are hidden. It is just like a big game to him. My girl hasn't shown much interest unless I have hidden food. Then it's a very different story :p

Edited by BC Crazy

Really well. Thanks for asking. I was going to update but have spent the day playing with my new laptop *squee*

It was super windy and there was SOOOO much going on, urban mushing on one side and hearding on the other side and we'd been moved to a different area for class, but he still managed to cope. We have to try/start working on rewarding at source this week, but I'm really happy with his progression - especially because I struggle to fit homework in during the week.

Sounds like he did well in those weather conditions & all the other action around him :thumbsup:

Yeh - he's a clever boy :)

Week 4 Update:

Started pairing the scent (Anise) with food. He did really well again, especially considering it was a nother week of no homework. Working from home Monday which means I'll be abe to fit some in there.

He's doing really well, and always sleeps the whole way home (about an hour) and all afternoon / evening. It's really great - I'm really happy with his progress. He really seems to love it.

My only whinge is my instructor continues to request I make my treats smaller. Which I have been - she says they're still too big...she called me out on it again today and her insistence that I "just have to find the thing he loves loves loves" - It seems a totally alien concept to her that my dog is not food driven. She says I just haven't found the right food yet.... other than that small whinge it's really fantastic.