Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a funny, sort-of-brag to report.

I am sitting reading a book and then I start to tune in to the commotion coming from the dining room. Husband is saying "Del what are you doing??? What is wrong with you!!"

Then husband comes to me and says 'what is up with Del? I have been throwing chicken at her and she won't eat it! She is only eating it when I feed it straight to her mouth. There is chicken all over the floor and everything."

Haha! So I guess our IYC training is going well :cool:

This is hilarious!

My husband just played IYC with me and m&ms. I'll admit I had a couple of goes at grabbing the m&ms before I figured out what I needed to do to get them :laugh:

And this is pure gold. I reckon I'd go for the MnMs a few times, then chuck a giant hissy fit...oh, I sound like Thisbe....

:laugh: You guys are cracking me up!

Little Em has come into season! Perfect timing in terms of upcoming Nationals etc but also great for Recallers as her energy levels go through the stratosphere and she is pretty manic about training. She is only exercised in the chook yard now (they are locked into The Chook Palace) so I am recalling her off level 8-9 distractions. Zig is entire too so lots of training to keep his mind out of the gutter :laugh:

Loving PB&J :thumbsup:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

We had a bunch of the "don't wanna don't haveta" (DWDH) tonight.

I had to remember to quit a session when she still wanted more. Not when she decided she'd rather have a drink or do a spot of mouse hunting...

I also need to pay more attention to when I "recue" stuff when she has "selective hearing". It's a crutch - and there's a time and a place for that and most of the time - it's not now.

Yes, I had one of those DWDH with Em when I forgot that tug really isn't her thing. Was careful to push through for a little play and give her a break before using food. She really explodes with food so I don't mind.

I had Zig as my demo dog in a Puppy Games class tonight. He did some lovely IYC with cheese on his paws. I was also throwing food into the crate to reward for relaxing with the door open - he was catching them in his mouth mostly but one bounced off and landed in front of the crate. He put one paw out and changed his mind, scurrying backwards into the crate. Boy he got some cheese for that!

Ok so the Catchup week is in a couple of weeks.

Who's up for a catchup and training session on the 9th Aug? (I'm free on the 10th as well but hoping to go to KCC for some lure coursing)

Also does anyone have suggestions for a location, maybe with an indoor/undercover option if the weather is crappy?

The only place I can think of is a primary school in Wantirna south, it has an outside undercover basketball court and is 99% fenced off from the street

I have classes in the morning of the 9th too but afternoon is looking good. I am a bit behind on the games - have played most of them except restrained recalls at least once, but only at home. Planning to take them on the road once the days get longer.

Who got up this morning? :D

We are a few game days behind so have just discovered Cookies in the Corner. Loving this one and can really see the benefits of this and PB&J for agility. My dogs can be a bit too polite at times and this is great for injecting a bit of crazy. Zig did fantastically with the in season Em close by and she didn't even blink when I practiced around the chook pen. Not exactly the ideal low distraction environment but I don't really want to train her indoors too much as she leaves her scent behind and it sends Zig a little bonkers.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

No need to kick yourself sc. I often tell my dogs that I'm the handler that they've got so they're just going to have to adjust ... Sometimes the dogs make mistakes, sometimes we do - it all evens out.

No need to kick yourself sc. I often tell my dogs that I'm the handler that they've got so they're just going to have to adjust ... Sometimes the dogs make mistakes, sometimes we do - it all evens out.

:rofl: Love it ... mine are in the same boat.

I think you only need to get things right about 80% ie four out of five times. So the occasional mistake - as long as you and your dog not traumatised should be ok.

I can't stop level 10 distractions from happening - they like to fly low over the back yard going Ark ark ARK ark aaarrrrkk... near impossible to ignore.

Evil hound is quite apologetic for getting distracted these days instead of me having to rugby tackle her.

I watched the coaching call this morning. Hope everyone who missed it has patience until it's back up again. I learned something too - that you can't "rewind" using Android internet or Android youtube to watch it, but you can with firefox and windoze... ie not all platforms are created equal.

SG and her team mostly use apples. But the ipads won't play the live (youtube) video unless you specifically install something extra (flash). Once they load it up - I think they put it on a different website so playing it back is not so much of a problem. And you're stuffed if you live in Germany which for some reason blocks live youtube streaming. And live youtube is not the same as regular youtube...

And the chatroll channel seems to have a 250 person limit and more people wanted to be on than was available.

Half of that is technical problems of scale - ie it's hard to find a broadcast channel that will securely broadcast to a couple of thousand? people of your choice around the world. Even Oprah can't quite manage it - and she's got a team of people building stuff from scratch. Not sure what universities do with their internet lectures.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, really helps... the distractions meant all her brains went out the window and caused a huge Don't wanna don't hafta moment. I don't know why I didn't think there would be that many ducks at the lake... stupid me.... even worse when she saw a swan I swear she was screaming in her head HOLY GEEBUZ THAT'S THE BIGGEST DUCK I'VE EVER SEEN!! Her mind was completely blown.

LOL.... how can I compete with a swan! Going back to square one for a while and build up more value with me at home without distractions.

Sometimes you can't help running across a level 10 distraction lol - yesterday we were training at the park and a bunch of bush turkeys appeared! How am I supposed to compete with bush turkeys? :laugh: but to his credit, once they were a bit further away I was able to get Nitro to tug :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement guys, really helps... the distractions meant all her brains went out the window and caused a huge Don't wanna don't hafta moment. I don't know why I didn't think there would be that many ducks at the lake... stupid me.... even worse when she saw a swan I swear she was screaming in her head HOLY GEEBUZ THAT'S THE BIGGEST DUCK I'VE EVER SEEN!! Her mind was completely blown.

LOL.... how can I compete with a swan! Going back to square one for a while and build up more value with me at home without distractions.

Oh no; don't you hate those moments :(

Was she in a long-line silentchild?

Del has been a bit off her normal kibble. Often not eating admire than a mouthful of it at dinner times. So I think, this would make an excellent low-level distraction. But she found it really hard!

We kept increasing the distance, but it made little difference really.

On another note, we are tugging!

I got the idea from that tug-sit-tug game where it says you can put some mushy food in a sock, and use that to tug with. I used sardines, and an thick woollen sock, and she was tugging instantly, and with great enthusiasm!

I guess I'm going to have to look into how to transition her from a Sardiny sock to a proper tug toy now.

I really like the cookie in the corner game too. I used a piece of kibble for this game, and she races toward that kibble. But if present her with a bowl or a kong wobbler of the same kibble she is like 'oh' :(

But that tells me she must be really enjoying playing the games :)

I tried PBJ towards a bowl of kibble (ok a tablespoon of kibble in her normal dinner bowl)...

And she was oh what - normally I have to do a really good sit stay for kibble - what's this "fire me at it" business... but she caught on eventually.

I find the harder I make her work for kibble - the more she wants it.

And she's go a bunch of wicked tricks to make me hand it over without thinking too. sometimes I feel like the food dispensing machine with the handle the pigeon has to peck to get the food...

Oh no; don't you hate those moments :(

Was she in a long-line silentchild?

Not a long line, but she was on lead. We were walking in a public park so must be leashed (not that other people follow the rules /rant).

To her credit she did give me some nice focus and heeling past the first group of ducks but as soon as she got rewarded her brain was gone, and when she saw the swans, well, not even a steak dancing naked in front of her would have gotten her attention in that moment. :o