Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've replied to that thread Leah82, sounds good.

I am quite behind on the games and have been down with a cold all week (and in very poor humour, so no training) but am happy with how it's going so far, and I know there is heaps of time to catch up.

My biggest challenge is playing in different locations. With the ordinary weather lately, it's been really hard getting out of the house so I have mostly only done the games inside and some in the yard. I have played some of the active ones down at the sheep paddock which is quite a distracting environment for a working kelpie, but she has been awesome :D

Edited by superminty

Very interesting!

Mine are gutses and will eat anytime :laugh:

Though Diesel was a bit like that - but he was never really motivated by much. People did tell me to feed all of his food as training, which of course is an excellent idea and pretty much what I do with Nitro (even if some of it is just scattered in his crate when he goes into his crate at various times of the day) but it is harder with a big dog - they need so much more food!

The further we go through recallers, the less Del is eating her meals.

Is this happening to anyone else?

That happened to Zig some years back - google contra freeloading :) My dogs get all their non training dry food out of the Kong wobbler.

Woohoo! There's an actual term for it! I'm very excited! Thanks TSD :)

I have had a very quick google, and that's definitely what's going on. I am not having much success with the kong wobbler either. She finds it a bit boring I think.

Maybe I will just make her do more to earn it. Work on out sits and drops from a distance maybe :)

Very interesting!

Mine are gutses and will eat anytime :laugh:

Though Diesel was a bit like that - but he was never really motivated by much. People did tell me to feed all of his food as training, which of course is an excellent idea and pretty much what I do with Nitro (even if some of it is just scattered in his crate when he goes into his crate at various times of the day) but it is harder with a big dog - they need so much more food!

Yes exactly! She needs to be eating at least four cups a day in addition to her training food. But I'm thinking maybe I can get around it by just making her work for the entire bowl? (Jack pot style)

It's weird with Del as she is very food motivated, and not normally fussy! I actually changed her dog food to make sure it wasn't that! Little bugger that she is!

We had a doozy today. I left her with her breakfast while I took the girl child to netball. When I came back it looked like she hadn't eaten more than a mouthful.

So she had been in the backyard with her breakfast for a couple of hours, and not bothered to eat it.

I come back, and she's very happy be rewarded with this very same kibble while we play some recallers games :hitself:

It's exciting isn't it! It's really wonderful and you will get some balance back as you progress and learn together.

Kavik - I remember when Zig needed 5 cups a day to not look horribly skinny and we went camping. He simply would not eat and was such a sad sack. I would do recalls etc and just give him a handful of food or send him back to a small amount in a bowl after a distance drop etc instead of one treat - it was a good way to get food in.

Reckon these recallers is working. Waldo was in Open at the Victorian State Championship. Our first pass with a score of 180. And we won the ring. A huge difference from our last trial 2 weeks ago. A nervous dog who broke every stay has become a bouncy happy dog who was jumping out of his skin to work. Not even a very wet ring put him off...apart from high elbows in distance control.

Reckon these recallers is working. Waldo was in Open at the Victorian State Championship. Our first pass with a score of 180. And we won the ring. A huge difference from our last trial 2 weeks ago. A nervous dog who broke every stay has become a bouncy happy dog who was jumping out of his skin to work. Not even a very wet ring put him off...apart from high elbows in distance control.

:cheer::thumbsup::happydance2:

1406972001[/url]' post='6536474']

Awesome stuff Sue & Waldo! You must be stoked - congratulations! :thumbsup:

Looks like Breeze and I will be falling even more behind and missing in action again - she has pulled up very sore and is on strict bed rest for at least a week. :( Bummer.

So sorry to hear this. Take care.

When Waldo was lame we did heaps of focus work.

:thumbsup: How exciting Sue .. congratulations to you and Waldo ... talk about pulling it out for the big time. :thumbsup:

Frosty dug through the old soft sided crate bottom, and the metal one is just too noisy for the kong wobbler, so I've been putting her kibble ration rolled up in an old bath mat like a swiss roll of kibble...

She's kind of worked out if she picks up the bath mat and shakes it, all the kibble falls out... well goes everywhere, some of which she can't reach without help...

I know they say use high value treats but she tends to go TAR if the stuff is took good (chicken yiros?). She will work very hard for kibble... and roo jerky... and promite on toast... actually sometimes goes TAR for toast.

I've yet to figure out (apart from her going TAR) which food is the best food. It's all so good. If I give her a choice, she just starts with what's closest... even if I take the good stuff away after choosing the kibble cos it was closer...