What's This Colouring Called?

Hi all, just after some advice on describing colouring. This is for dogs of mixed or unknown breed where we're relying somewhat on physical descriptions to identify them.

We get a fair number of dogs with this kind of colouring:

post-31865-0-64985700-1403000023_thumb.jpg

Ref: http://www.ultimatepitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1122

What would be the most appropriate term for this colouring? It's not really just tan or red or fawn because of the black overlay and widow's peak, and although it looks like what is called shaded sable on my Sheltie, it isn't actually as sable refers to the change in colour through individual hair strands (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). And obviously Black and Tan means something else (Rottie type colouring).

Google indicates that it could be called tan/red "smut". Would this be appropriate to use on an unknown origin short coated dog?

I'd like to be as accurate as possible and don't want to offend anyone by using the wrong terminology on info about these dogs (especially when the word "smut" may not be taken positively :o ).

Another pic below from the same website.

Thanks for any thoughts :)

Found this:

Smut or dusting (in Bullmastiffs) is when the base coat fawn or red has black fur laced through its coat usually on the face and chest, it happens regually in this breed but is not desirable as the colour is to be pure. The dogs look as if they have rolled in a coal pit.

It is a good website, thanks HW :) So from what I gather, genetically they are most likely sable, or possibly agouti. Most of the examples are in long haired breeds though, does the terminology still apply to short coated breeds/mixes, most likely with some bull breed in them (based on appearances)?

Personally i would keep it simple ,For most joe public that is tan .start getting fancy & it becomes even more confusing & beyond the simple aspect it should be .

When we board dogs alot rescue i often wonder if they had a "think" party on describing some things to make it sound fancier but what they often describe isn't suited to the dog or if the dog was lost something people would associate with.

When describing colours in pure breeds in has meaning & easy to associate with that breed .

You could say shaded red which is used to describe the dachie with black .

Agouti can become technical ,a Schnauzer has an agouti coat when hand stripped but when clipped generally non as it becomes a solid colour

Personally i would keep it simple ,For most joe public that is tan .start getting fancy & it becomes even more confusing & beyond the simple aspect it should be .

As above. Smut to me means dirty & to some people it doesn't mean anything. Tan is fine.

When we board dogs alot rescue i often wonder if they had a "think" party on describing some things to make it sound fancier but what they often describe isn't suited to the dog or if the dog was lost something people would associate with.

When describing colours in pure breeds in has meaning & easy to associate with that breed .

You could say shaded red which is used to describe the dachie with black .

Agouti can become technical ,a Schnauzer has an agouti coat when hand stripped but when clipped generally non as it becomes a solid colour

Agree. General public won't know what you're talking about, keep it simple.