Medication For Anxiety

Miss Daisy

Hi,

I know that meds (in general) should not be the first option, but I was wondering what people's experiences were like when their dogs have been on medication for anxiety?

My aunty's dog is a maltese x shihtzu and ever since he was a pup, was always a barker and really aggressive and bites people even people he knows. My aunty has spent over $1000 on dog trainers etc. He's 7 now. It's really hard taking him for a walk because he goes to attack people if he walks past, it's hard having people over because he does not stop barking. He attacked my arm tonight when I was playing with my dog, and managed to rip through my jumper into my arm three times and left me with several bruises.

I've suggested it to my aunty before but I honestly think that he really needs some meds. He was separated from his mum and litter at 5 weeks which explains why he is like he is.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your Aunty needs to take her dog to the vet. Maybe medication will help, it's certainly worth a try, but perhaps the dog is just what he is and nothing will change him. Why do you think the cause of his behaviour is anxiety?

Being separated from the dam and litter at five weeks is not an explanation for his behaviour. Many pups have been separated early from dam and litter and they grow up to be well adjusted dogs.

I trust Aunty walks him on a short lead so he doesn't have the opportunity to attack either people or other dogs. She needs to ensure her dog is not within reaching distance to attack people as they walk past.

Everything cavNrott said plus I would recommend she buys the dog a little cage muzzle to wear when outside of the house. Being a small dog won't necessarily stop her from getting a menacing or dangerous dog order placed on her. My daughter received a really nasty bite to the face very close to her eyes from a maltese when she was a toddler(wasn't doing anything to the dog, it was on a lead with a stranger at the doorway to a shop and lunged out and bit her without warning)so being little doesn't mean he can't do serious damage.

Presuming your Aunty has had the dog thoroughly checked by the vet - and I presume she has as she sounds like she cares for him - and there is no health reason for his aggression then it is up to her to ensure the dog is not put into situations where he can cause injury.

Personally I would try medication for anxiety in this situation as this is no life for the dog or anyone else. 7 years is a long time for the dog to be behaving in this manner. I have a dog with separation anxiety (barking, not aggression) and have tried medication which did not help but there are different types and it may be a matter of experimenting and it may help this little dog. It may be that a sedative will help on those occasions when visitors come to the house. Crate training or other methods of isolation may help also. Your aunt needs to realise the potential harm the dog can do and take steps to manage his aggression. A soft muzzle for walks and carefully picking the time of day and route for walking is essential.

Another thought is to try the herbal calming preparations for dogs if your aunt is against medication.

Edited by Rosetta

I like muzzles. But greyhounds have them as standard.....

One thing I've used for anxiety has been an Adaptil collar. It really calmed Brandi down and let me work more consistently on separation training with a lower level of arousal. It helped but is only as good as the training with it.

Prozac did help a dog I took on last year with anxiety and aggression, he was much better after a few days on Prozac and then I started a behavioural modification program.

Dogs can't learn if they are stressed out.

I'd also recommend a muzzle for times when he is taken out, you can't be too careful.

Yes, when he is walked he is not walked near people and he wears a muzzle when he's out (and at the vet).

I'm assuming it's anxiety because he gets really scared of other dogs in the family (except my collie that lives with him, he is fine with her) especially the shepherds if they go near him. He hides whenever they come over. He is very dominant and I know a lot of his behaviour comes from that. Due to his behaviour he doesn't go out often because it's so dangerous and I guess that just makes the problem bigger (he's also really resistant to go out for a walk some times).

He hasn't attacked someone as bad as he has tonight with me (and there wasn't really a trigger, he was chewing on a tissue near where I was playing with my dog). But my aunty is going to take him to the vet.

What did the dog trainers she spent $1000 on say is the reason for his behaviour? Is it really dominance when he is apparently afraid of the bigger dogs? Sounds more fear based behaviour to me. I feel sorry for the little fella actually - what a life!

Yes, when he is walked he is not walked near people and he wears a muzzle when he's out (and at the vet).

I'm assuming it's anxiety because he gets really scared of other dogs in the family (except my collie that lives with him, he is fine with her) especially the shepherds if they go near him. He hides whenever they come over. He is very dominant and I know a lot of his behaviour comes from that. Due to his behaviour he doesn't go out often because it's so dangerous and I guess that just makes the problem bigger (he's also really resistant to go out for a walk some times).

He hasn't attacked someone as bad as he has tonight with me (and there wasn't really a trigger, he was chewing on a tissue near where I was playing with my dog). But my aunty is going to take him to the vet.

The poor little soul is terrified NOT dominant. He should not be expected not to be terrified of large dogs - they shouldn't come over OR he should be put away somewhere he feels secure.

I'm concerned that he's being punished and misunderstood for being normal!!

He's really possessive of food - you cannot go near him when he's eating or is guarding his food without being attacked, I would say that's more dominance. And sometimes he'll just come and sit on one of us.

We are aware of his triggers though and are sensitive around that but it really gets to a point where we can't do much about that (when he's barking horribly eg).

I really do feel for him. I honestly want the best for him, he absolutely loves it when my collie plays with him and he has enjoyed walks in the past and he loves coming inside and human interaction.

The poor little soul is terrified NOT dominant. He should not be expected not to be terrified of large dogs - they shouldn't come over OR he should be put away somewhere he feels secure.

I'm concerned that he's being punished and misunderstood for being normal!!

He's not being punished OR misunderstood.

My dad's shepherd is incredibly tame and gentle and doesn't go anywhere near him, and my brother's shepherd (only a puppy) is only interested in playing with my collie.

Keep in mind you're only getting snap shots of a FEW experiences, not the whole story - we're incredibly good to him especially how he reacts to us AT TIMES.

I asked for advice and thoughts on medication, not for judgements from someone who clearly has no idea of the whole story.

He's really possessive of food - you cannot go near him when he's eating or is guarding his food without being attacked, I would say that's more dominance.

And you'd be wrong. Even very low ranking pack members will resource guard - its a natural reaction to perceptions of threat to resources. The bigger the sense of threat, the greater the reaction. Feed him in a crate so you can all relax.

This dog sounds like he has considerable social anxiety. Frankly I wonder if you'd be better off not walking him at all.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

He's really possessive of food - you cannot go near him when he's eating or is guarding his food without being attacked, I would say that's more dominance. And sometimes he'll just come and sit on one of us.

We are aware of his triggers though and are sensitive around that but it really gets to a point where we can't do much about that (when he's barking horribly eg).

I really do feel for him. I honestly want the best for him, he absolutely loves it when my collie plays with him and he has enjoyed walks in the past and he loves coming inside and human interaction.

Learning is often very important - for example a dog is fearful or anxious (around food or dogs or people) - the dog growls and the human/dog leaves him alone. Thus the dog has LEARNT that growling creates distance and the behaviour is reinforced. Or, the classic case of a dog that has been punished for growling so the aggressive behaviour escalates - you don't get the warning growl anymore just the bite. Sounds like you need a darn good behaviourist. Medication can help but only combined with a behavioural modification program.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

He's really possessive of food - you cannot go near him when he's eating or is guarding his food without being attacked, I would say that's more dominance.

And you'd be wrong. Even very low ranking pack members will resource guard - its a natural reaction to perceptions of threat to resources. The bigger the sense of threat, the greater the reaction. Feed him in a crate so you can all relax.

This dog sounds like he has considerable social anxiety. Frankly I wonder if you'd be better off not walking him at all.

What about when he has his own food bowl, but he goes and takes my dog's food (not the dry biscuits, only meat) and growls and attacks her if she goes near the food I've put down for her? Would you still say that's not dominance?

What about when he has his own food bowl, but he goes and takes my dog's food (not the dry biscuits, only meat) and growls and attacks her if she goes near the food I've put down for her? Would you still say that's not dominance?

Nope - opportunistic resource acquistion. :) Why eat biscuits when something better is on offer? A very good reason to feed your dogs in a way that ensures that this can't happen.

This dog may not have a lot of boundaries but that doesn't make him "dominant".

I guess it just makes it a bit difficult when both dogs eat differently for the majority of the time (they get fed separately though unless it's just dry food). I do appreciate seeing that it is not necessarily dominance though.

The underlined bit also works for the bigger the sense of high value food, the greater the reaction. So he steals the high value food and leaves the rest. Please feed the dogs in separate rooms or crate one (or both) of them. It simply isn't fair on your dog to put it in a situation where you know another dog is going to steal her food. Medication may help you but a lot of the behaviours you have described are behavioural and can be managed by not allowing the situations where you know he reacts to even occur.