Keeping My Future Pugs Young And Healthy

Queen Maeby

Info on hydatid lifecycle and spread :) LINK

Thanks for that :)

Yeah, the dog would have to eat the organs. I can't see my Pugs doing that and they will be tested for worms regularly.

You're welcome! Keep in mind the infective stage for people is passed out through the GI tract and the eggs are sticky to assist spread so if you or puggie has contact with potential sources ie. eggs adherent to the coat/bedding of an infected dog or pug rolling in fox poo or something you are still at risk. And pet grade meat may be contaminated by a cyst during slaughter so feeding raw pet grade meat even if not feeding organs specifically is a potential source of puggie infection.

Which is a moot point if you've got a parasite control protocol in mind anyway!

Thank you very much for explaining. Gosh, there are so many things to take into account! :laugh:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Grover had a herbal wormer and he was tested for worms every three months. During this time he never had one egg, let alone a worm... But I will take the wormer too just in case :)

eta

This is the herbal wormer that naturopaths recommend (for dogs and people).

http://www.ppcherbs.com.au/herbal-medicines/plex-range/herbal-tri-plex/

Edited by Queen Maeby

Here is a tip that my vet gave me, which I thought was quite good...

If you live in a low-risk heartworm area near the beach, and you choose not to treat for heartworm, take your dog for a walk on the beach first thing in the morning, before heaps of other people and their dogs walk there, after the tide has gone out and washed the beach clean. Make sure you walk your dog along the shore line and don't go anywhere near the dunes where they can catch some fox-related disease (I can't remember what it's called). And stay away from the beach at high peak tourist times like Christmas. That's when all the tourist dogs come to visit.

I thought heart worm was transmitted via mosquitos?

Oh is it? I don't know why my vet said that then. Sorry :laugh:

Mosquitoes can be pretty rare along the coast, I've received similar advise personally about other mosquito borne infections. When in Malaysia I was told to not worry about malaria tablets if I was staying near the coast and in the Cook Islands recently they recommended people going into the mountains wear insect repellent when they were having a dengue like outbreak.

This would explain why beach areas are low risk for heartworm

If you live in a low-risk heartworm area near the beach, and you choose not to treat for heartworm, take your dog for a walk on the beach first thing in the morning, before heaps of other people and their dogs walk there, after the tide has gone out and washed the beach clean. Make sure you walk your dog along the shore line and don't go anywhere near the dunes where they can catch some fox-related disease (I can't remember what it's called). And stay away from the beach at high peak tourist times like Christmas. That's when all the tourist dogs come to visit.

Mosquitoes can be pretty rare along the coast, I've received similar advise personally about other mosquito borne infections. When in Malaysia I was told to not worry about malaria tablets if I was staying near the coast and in the Cook Islands recently they recommended people going into the mountains wear insect repellent when they were having a dengue like outbreak.

Ohhh, okay thanks :)

I wonder what he was talking about (the guy vet)? Maybe he meant the fox disease? I will have to ask him.

I wonder what he was talking about (the guy vet)? Maybe he meant the fox disease? I will have to ask him.

Maybe he was talking about stuff like Parvo?

My pugs now 12 and in better shape then when I got her. She had green teeth that needed extracting and the infection was making her cough on a kibble diet (Advance). She was pudgy, dragged her front paws and had wheezy breathing. I dont believe that regular anaesthetics are particularly healthy when there are simple preventatives that can be done.

Raw raw raw all the way. I have dogs ranging from 2 years to 12 years - there are no dentals required, no dry coats, no stinking, sloppy poo, good muscle mass even on the older dogs. They're all fit and active, and I make sure they tear meat/connective tissue off the bone in order to keep the incisors and canines in good condition too. The pug and french bulldog both have good teeth and can manage brisket bigger then their heads no worries.

I also mix up the diet - different proteins, scraps, off cuts, hunted meats, etc. It's not the same old same old every day and not at the same time every day.

touch wood, no medical problems here at all.

Yeah, I have a feeling he was talking about diseases in general because we had been talking about the fact that I had chosen not to worm with chemicals or vaccinate etc

Stop worrying is the first step. There are some things that you cannot prevent, I have lost 4 dogs in the past few years and there was nothing I could change to stop it. It sucks, it's horrible but it's life with an animal with such a short life span compared to ours.

Research lines, there are plenty of long lived lines out there (I found out my pugs lines live about 16-20 years :eek:) which I'm not used to with larger dogs. My rottie was 4, my GSD was 2, my Bordeaux was 6 and my Malinois was 8 months old.

My first 2 border collies mainly ate supercoat & natures gift. They were always vaccinated. They both got to 15. My first cat only ate Whiskers cat food and passed away at 20!

I feel like the more I have fussed the more stuff has gone wrong!

couldn't agree more

My pugs now 12 and in better shape then when I got her. She had green teeth that needed extracting and the infection was making her cough on a kibble diet (Advance). She was pudgy, dragged her front paws and had wheezy breathing. I dont believe that regular anaesthetics are particularly healthy when there are simple preventatives that can be done.

Raw raw raw all the way. I have dogs ranging from 2 years to 12 years - there are no dentals required, no dry coats, no stinking, sloppy poo, good muscle mass even on the older dogs. They're all fit and active, and I make sure they tear meat/connective tissue off the bone in order to keep the incisors and canines in good condition too. The pug and french bulldog both have good teeth and can manage brisket bigger then their heads no worries.

I also mix up the diet - different proteins, scraps, off cuts, hunted meats, etc. It's not the same old same old every day and not at the same time every day.

touch wood, no medical problems here at all.

This is the anti-cancer diet I designed for Grover (and I'm going to be feeding my future Pugs this as well as raw meaty bones). Before I put Grover on this diet he was overweight and no matter what I did, the weight wouldn't come off. He started losing weight straight away on this diet. I based it on the anti-cancer diet created by Dr Greg Ogilvie, who is a leading canine oncologist. His diet is now available in that tinned dog food called Hills Science. Mine is much better :laugh:

Chicken mix recipe:

1kg cooked chicken breast (1200g raw), roughly diced

1 cup cooked brown rice

2 cups low carb frozen vegetables, processed

415g tinned salmon

½ cup organic yoghurt

3 scrambled eggs

3 Tabs flaxseed oil (4800 mg)*

Contains: 72% protein, 19% carbohydrate

*1 Tab of flaxseed oil contains 1600 mg of omega-3 fatty acids.

Stop worrying is the first step. There are some things that you cannot prevent, I have lost 4 dogs in the past few years and there was nothing I could change to stop it. It sucks, it's horrible but it's life with an animal with such a short life span compared to ours.

Research lines, there are plenty of long lived lines out there (I found out my pugs lines live about 16-20 years :eek:) which I'm not used to with larger dogs. My rottie was 4, my GSD was 2, my Bordeaux was 6 and my Malinois was 8 months old.

That's a good idea to research the lines.

Yeah, I have a feeling he was talking about diseases in general because we had been talking about the fact that I had chosen not to worm with chemicals or vaccinate etc

Interestingly my vet said the opposite, she said as people from a wide range of suburbs take their dogs to the beaches that it can be a higher risk area (but we were talking about my immune compromised boy at the time).

Interestingly my vet said the opposite, she said as people from a wide range of suburbs take their dogs to the beaches that it can be a higher risk area (but we were talking about my immune compromised boy at the time).

I'm definitely going to ask him what he meant :laugh: