Jesses Operation

Jesse is a male 18 month rough collie,recently had the op as above.He also has a broken canine tooth (being monitored for infection,but o k.) The underlying problem is he has always shown territorial aggression.He broke his tooth attacking an outside light5ft high,metal and in concrete,because he could not get through the fence to people walking up the public walk beside our rural property.His leg was done running the fence as well.He has always had fear issues,hates visitors,and his aggression is now to me.Obviously,I make allowances for pain in his leg,he is now in a splint,.last night we got home from the vet (perfectly behaved) and he soon had the floor covered in cotton wool.I bent down to pick it up,about two feet away,he lunged and bit my arm,breaking the skin.Similar incident the previous night.He is on pain relief and calmex.I've had him from 10 weeks,he is an indoor dog,we are retired so home all day.Our property is rural and plenty of room to run.He is the 8th dog I've had(usually 2at a time) and I've never had this before.My previous rough collie was very gentle.I am beginning to think this could be a genetic issue.Any thoughts would be so appreciated,as it's having an effect on my health and stress in the household in general.I should add he has been raised totally with PR ,so no aversive training or similar.We love him so much but I don't feel he's a happy dog,and this breaks my heart.Thank you for reading such a long post...Alex.

Edited by Lulusuki

Thanks so much for replying so quickly.Un fortunately we were due to start working with an excellent trainer last week,but with the leg she postponed it,although I'll see if she can come and observe him next week.He is in his inside pen most of the time for the next few weeks.As we are fairly remote it isn't as easy as if we lived near a city.I have been working with an online trainer for a few months but it is not like him being here.I should of added that he comes from an excellent breeder ,who has not come across this problem before.,but has been very supportive.

Edited by Lulusuki

:( I am sorry ; This is now very urgent - it must be just awful .

You can not live with an aggressive dog ..and hopefully the trainer is also a behaviourist or vet , so a possible cause can be found . Sometimes these problems can be indicative of a problem with a dog's brain ., exacerbated by a sensory problem ....or something learned over time and deeply ingrained ... and sometimes a situation is way out of the scope of a purely 'training' fix.

sending :hug:s and hope for a thorough investigation and good outcome .

Thank you so much,Persephone,I appreciate the hugs!It really is dreadful as I know the likely outcome.He nipped my granddaughter last Xmas,after they came to stay.I said I would put him in kennels,but they said he'd be fine,result they packed and left because I would not hit him! Bad alround as they had flown from Sydney to see us.Fortunately she is14 so not a small child.I feel I cannot go on with the situation much longer,and only "true dog people"understand,hence my posts.We got him to replace my JSpitz who had a heart attack during the ChCh earthquakes.I was foolish though to get a large breed at my age,should have known better.I still have my female6yr old JS and I have to watch her carefully now as Jesse is different with her.We never leave them together.I will work with my vet(excellent) and trainer and come to the right decision for Jesse.Thank you for the support.

You have gone through a lot Alex, I'm sorry for the loss of your JS in the earthquake how heartbreaking for you :(

I don't think you are foolish for getting a large breed at all, I have greyhounds and I'm definitely not young. I will always have them no matter what age I get to :)

I'm sorry I have no advice but just wanted to send you a hug as well :hug:

Thank you so much, Hazywal.I just love your photo of the greyhounds,also a beautiful breed!

Thank you yes they are wonderful.

Perse has given some excellent advice, you need to do what you feel is right for both your family and Jesse but you are already aware of what road you may have to take. It's hard :(

Keep us posted, you're not alone.

I wholeheartedly support the behaviourist option because that's most probably exactly what you need.

But just so you also have a bit extra to think on, a couple of dogs I've seen behave like that have actually had brain tumours. :( Change in personality, OCD, aggression and kind of 'black out' moments of unprovoked attack.

Thanks so much,Powerlegs.Yes,I think he has several strange behaviors developed recently.eg...loves the car,we take him out a lot.Though lately he hides on the floor in the back till we are past a neighboring property which he's been past hundreds of times...no problem.This morning,in my bedroom he noticed a small raffia heart I had put on the wall a week ago.I was watching him and he really panicked even after I got it down and let him sniff it.My intuition tells me more is going on here.The support really helps..thank you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have not updated earlier,but I have been too upset.The day after my last post,we took Jesse with us to the local town.(he loved the car).I was talking to a friend beside the car ,Jesse and Lulu in the car.Jesse suddenly attacked the window,teeth barred,trying to get to my friend.I had never seen him so bad.....After talking at length with vet and behaviorist ,heartbreaking as it was ,we had to do the right thing.It was the hardest thing I have ever done....I had his head on my knee,telling him how I loved him..it was really peaceful.Still,I am heartbroken,even though I knew it was inevitable.(He probably had a brain disorder).Thank you so much those who supported me.

I am very sorry for your loss. It does sound as though something medical may have been underlying his problem, he was lucky he had you to give him a gentle passing.

Thank you so very much for your wonderful support!It means so much to me.Looking back I knew something was not quite right with him,but I thought with enough love and training,I could overcome it.he very much knew how much I loved him,and I am left with some very beautiful memories.I have not informed the breeder yet,because I know she will be upset.I think I should though as the vet thought it was genetic,and important. to know for her breeding programme.Thanks again,Dolers,Hugs to you all...Alex.