Dog Sleeping With Tongue Out.

My female 13 y/o MalteseX has started occasionally sleeping with her tongue half hanging out of the front of her mouth.

Seems only to have started since she recently had most of her teeth extracted.

Is this something I should be concerned about? She pulls it back in when she wakes :)

I've got a house full of dogs like that, there's no teeth left to keep the tongue in.

Not a problem but you will have to take extra care when you groom (or pay someone to groom) dogs with tongues hanging out because I've heard of accidents happening with people being careless.

I find it to be a completely charming look and have no issues at all, I'd rather they had their tongue hanging out than suffer the pain of bad teeth. Mine are all rescued at an older age, all had bad teeth amongst other issues.

oh dear wee poppet!

:D

oh she is sweet :)

:)

She's as sweet as she looks ..... the best natured dog I've known. I know you should never really trust dogs with young children or the elderly but Katie just never even looks like reacting however poked or prodded by humans. She's recently been inducted as a Lort Smith therapy dog and it is indeed her calling. I'd love to post some pics of her with elderly residents but privacy concerns prevent me :(

Here she is waiting to go home after nursing home visit.

post-12737-0-76922600-1404627805_thumb.jpg