Is It Possible That A Dog Fed Raw Will Get Anal Gland Problems?

Thanks Pers. I just figured it's a bit unusual - I've never seen him doing it before, but in the last week I've seen him do it 3 or 4 times. And not just outside where he'd get a good scratch from the grass...

My gut feeling is that I'm wasn't happy with his current food even before he started scooting, so maybe I'm just projecting the cause and result to suit myself :)

I decided to do a quick comparison of ingredients between the puppy and adult foods we've been using.

Main differences are:

Adult food has dehydrated pork protein. Protein 26%, Fat 17%

Puppy food has rice, and psyllium husks. Protein 33%, Fat 14%

Most other ingredients are present in both.

I find it really weird that the adult food has more fat! Explains why we're struggling to drop weight...

And perhaps the pork doesn't agree with him? Maybe.

An itchy bum can be anything ...from anal glands, to a little nerve which is twitching ( you know, that thing where your eyelid or something gets the twitches ?) ..to a bit of dirt , or a tiny tear, a scratch ... or even a muscle inside which is sore ..and rubbing might help. :) Dogs often do this when they feel a need to clean their bums, too.

Sorry, just noticed this. All this too! ^^

I decided to do a quick comparison of ingredients between the puppy and adult foods we've been using.

Main differences are:

Adult food has dehydrated pork protein. Protein 26%, Fat 17%

Puppy food has rice, and psyllium husks. Protein 33%, Fat 14%

Most other ingredients are present in both.

I find it really weird that the adult food has more fat! Explains why we're struggling to drop weight...

And perhaps the pork doesn't agree with him? Maybe.

Psyllium husk aids in digestion, bulking up poops. That might be the reason if the new food doesn't have it and he's always had it previously in the puppy food.

Hi Anne, he's just been wormed, which is why I've been considering other options.

Pers, i think the change in food has adversely affected his poo - it (the poo) seems drier, and a little harder for him to get out. It also seems a smaller diameter than before - perhaps the lack of psyllium husks as Lisa said? I know reduced bulk can contribute to anal gland problems (though in theory his anal glands seemed ok).

Regardless of those things which I'd already noticed, the vet's suggestion of a mild food intolerance of some kind of seems possible too - perhaps he isn't tolerating the addition of pork products? He certainly hadn't really had any pork before the new food. The vet suggested that whatever intolerance he may have could be making his bum itch. I'm not going to disregard the possibility anyway, which is why I decided to compare the foods and see what major differences there are.

You've certainly given me lots of other suggestions too though, which is great. The vet said that the small amount he managed to express from the left gland might be enough to relieve whatever discomfort he had, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if there's any change over the next few days.

'poultry protein' - which is also the main protein in the adult food, but the adult food also contains pork protein, which is new.

He was on the RC lab junior, and the adult food is the RC maxi adult, so maybe I will consider the RC lab adult food. I originally didn't want to cos the dosage suggestions seemed really over the top, which made me think there was a lot of filler, but, the ingredients are very similar to the jnr food, and the protein and fat contents are almost the same too. I'm thinking, being a breed specific food, maybe they feel that labs do better on a higher protein, lower fat diet? The adult lab food is 30% protein, 13% fat.

I'm kinda feeling like I'd like to try a grain free food, but I know he did well on his puppy food, so maybe I should just stick to what I know.

boot scooting...

My dog does it occasionally - mostly it's to "wipe her bottom" ie she's got a dag from not chewing up the grass she ate enough...

Or there's hair that stuck there - from grooming goes all the way through. If she was a cat she'd be hacking fur balls.

The most tell tale signal that the anal glands need doing is a gawd awful skunk dead fish smell when the dog gets a bit excited, and jumps or barks or farts. Worse than regular dog fart. And it doesn't happen just the once, but a lot. To the point where you don't want the dog jumping up on the couch with you. Then it's time...

I worry that getting the dog's glands done might lead to them needing to be done more and more often... but I'm not sure if that's true or it would have happened anyway, ie what ever was causing the problem (old age? bad diet?) - isn't affected by how often they get emptied. But I don't know.

'poultry protein' - which is also the main protein in the adult food, but the adult food also contains pork protein, which is new.

He was on the RC lab junior, and the adult food is the RC maxi adult, so maybe I will consider the RC lab adult food. I originally didn't want to cos the dosage suggestions seemed really over the top, which made me think there was a lot of filler, but, the ingredients are very similar to the jnr food, and the protein and fat contents are almost the same too. I'm thinking, being a breed specific food, maybe they feel that labs do better on a higher protein, lower fat diet? The adult lab food is 30% protein, 13% fat.

I'm kinda feeling like I'd like to try a grain free food, but I know he did well on his puppy food, so maybe I should just stick to what I know.

Puppy food can be super different to the adult version. If he's not going well, use it as an excuse to change :)

There are lots of chicken based grain frees out there if you want to try them. I know there is a lot because I need to avoid chicken! laugh.gif

My cav puppy has needed her anal glands expressed a couple of times now. I found the local dog groomers only charge $10 to do it, so a lot cheaper than vet. But if it continues to be an issue obviously I will have to have the vet have another look (the vet expressed it the first time, the groomer, the second).

I don't think eating raw guarantees freedom from anal gland problems - only the vet can diagnose though. Best to get it seen to early as infections in that area can be very nasty.

I have been feeding Miah raw food (including raw veges) since we got her and her breeder had started her on raw solids and she got an impacted anal gland earlier this year, poor thing was in so much pain. The vet said its not common with dogs that are fed raw diets but it can happen, Fortunately hers burst and they put her onto two lots of strong AB's as it wouldn't heal for ages. Luckily it did or she might have had to have an op that could have left her incontinent (shes not even 2!)

They said it could happen again or may never happen again. Did suggest we give her some physiiluim (sp?) husks in her diet if she started having problems again. That was months ago, shes been fine since *touch wood*

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

My cav puppy has needed her anal glands expressed a couple of times now. I found the local dog groomers only charge $10 to do it, so a lot cheaper than vet. But if it continues to be an issue obviously I will have to have the vet have another look (the vet expressed it the first time, the groomer, the second).

Our Cavs have all needed doing from time to time, we have been shown how to do it but we haven't actually done it ourselves yet.

We either get them done at the vets, if they are there for some reason or have them done at the SA Cavalier fun days (twice a year)

Feeding them pumpkin in their diet often helps keep them cleaned out :)

Thanks for that cavNrott - good to know I might not have to pay for a consult if I specify I just need his anal glands looked at :)

Can you confirm that the bum scooting is usually a sign they need doing? It's definitely not a behaviour he's shown before.

Mine have often licked their paws quite a bit when they are due ;-)

Well, there was no bum scooting (that i've seen) since our visit to the vet a week and a half ago, but this morning there was scooting :(

I haven't changed diet at all - might try adding some psyllium husks to his yoghurt until I finish this bag of food. Can't hurt surely.