Ideas Please

This morning I had Ziggy and Bella at the dog park (just us, no one else there that early)..

I was throwing the ball for Zig and he was running and getting it for about 20 minutes.

The last time I threw it, I watched him run to it and pick it up - at that time I turned around and played a bit of tug with Bella until Zig bought the ball back but he didn't..

He was about half way back to me (say 10m away) and he was laying down. So I called him and he stood up, picked his ball up and took a couple of steps before laying down again.

So I walked to him and encouraged him back to the car but every two or three steps he would sit or lay down.

I lifted him in and out of the car once we got him.

He went and got straight on his bed when we first got him but he got up and ate breaky, he still seems fine.

He has not really been playing all day (usually they play all day) and tonight he started to play but stopped pretty quick and now he is laying down again.

He seems fine otherwise. No pale gums, no limping, he isn't flat like he has pain, no soreness if I press down his back and pull his legs back.

He is obviously sore or hurting somewhere to not want to roughhouse and want to lay down so much but he doesn't seem it when checked.

Hopefully all he needs is a couple of days rest but I tend to worry about my dogs (as we all do), so I was wondering if letting him rest and see if he comes good is the best thing or should I bite the bullet and take him to the vets?

I have Rimadyl here for pain and inflammation if he needs it but he doesn't actually seem to be in pain.

TIA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rest him for a couple of days before the vet unless he becomes very depressed and/or stops eating.

The fact that he CAN move and is weight bearing is a good thing.

I honestly suggest that you back right off on the ball throwing if it is something you tend to do every day. That kind of sustained and repetitive exercise involving hard stops or leaping is a recipe for repetiion injury. ACL rupture is one outcome I've seen from it.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

This won't be helpful..

when Taz did this earlier in the year it's because the sand at the river was too hot to walk on so he just lay down til we went to pick him up.

No burrs in his feet?

Maybe see how he is in the morning

Thanks guys.

HW, I will definitely keep him on rest, with no ball chasing for a couple of days and see how he goes.

Vehs, last summer he was running and the ground was a bit rocky and he started limping - I found what I thought was a lump and took him to the vet and it was a blister.. It healed up just fine but lesson learned..

Definitely keep an eye on him. A friend's 5 year old Staffy X had cruciate surgery earlier this year after partially tearing it and she's quite active during games of fetch too. She wouldn't weigh bear for a few days though then would be all go go go until she just kept limping.

If Zig is always playing fetch I agree with HW; ease up on the fetching just in case this is the start of an ACL injury. My friend's dog is also already showing signs of arthritis which is not good for such a young dog.

Personally I'd just be resting him for a few days. Hope he gets better soon the poor bub!

There is no sign of limping, so I am pretty sure it isn't a leg, knee injury - my biggest concern was maybe he hurt his back.

He does have hip dysplasia but again, there is no limping and he isn't even walking funny..

I was just concerned about the way he would only take a few steps and then sit or lay down for a while this morning. And I saw him go after the ball, no hard stop, no jump - he picked it up and that is when I turned to Bella, so I didn't see what he did..

Resting it is - well as much resting as I can get him to do. We will just do lots more training to wear him out :)

When fergus had a back problem he still chased a ball. The reason I suspected something was that he started to avoid some jumps in agility. People thought I was crazy when I took him to the physio but she was onto it immediately. Not showing pain doesn't mean a dog isn't very sore - showing pain can mean getting left behind by the pack so they just suck it up.

When fergus had a back problem he still chased a ball. The reason I suspected something was that he started to avoid some jumps in agility. People thought I was crazy when I took him to the physio but she was onto it immediately. Not showing pain doesn't mean a dog isn't very sore - showing pain can mean getting left behind by the pack so they just suck it up.

When my Darcy was diagnosed with a spinal problem, his ball chasing stopped that day on vet's advice. The only retrieving he gets to do now is from throws into water.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I would hazard a wild guess at it being spinal and I would take him to the vet in the morning so they can do neck range of motion, manipulate all the way down the spine and do hips and shoulders range of motion.

I like to know for my own information whether there is a pain response anywhere, and if you wait another couple of days it might not be as apparent.

HD & that sort of game is not what i would be doing just because he hasn't limped before doesn't mean hes not hurt or hes tweaking the joints when doing that exercise & today was the first big sign of this game may not be suitable .

Given his breed i tend to find Staffys notorious for a very high pain tolerance & owners not always seeing the small signs

When my Darcy was diagnosed with a spinal problem, his ball chasing stopped that day on vet's advice. The only retrieving he gets to do now is from throws into water.

I wasn't suggesting zig chase a ball. I meant that prior to diagnoses he was chasing a ball and looked fine - his drive made him work through the pain. My point is that not showing pain doesn't mean that the dog isn't in pain. As soon as we went to the physio chasing the ball and doing agility stopped until we had the all clear from her and the vets.

Eta: even when the vet was pushing and prodding , the only initial pain response was him slightly closing his eyes.

Edited by megan_

Maybe it is better if I just take him to the vet to be sure, it isn't a spinal injury.

Going out after a tennis ball is his favourite thing to do, it would be devastating for him if he wasn't allowed to run anymore.

The thing that bothers me is that I saw him go out to retrieve the ball, I saw him turn to bring it back but in those few seconds that I turned to Bella, he hurt himself. He was just trotting back to me, I can't work out what he could have done..

Would it be better to take him to the vet tomorrow? So if there is a sore spot, they can pick it up?

If I let him rest and any soreness is relieved, there might not be anything for the vet to find..

Bella is due for her 6 week post op check up, so I might just get them both in and sorted..

Now to win that lotto.. :)

I hope it is nothing serious, at least a vet visit will relieve some of the stress you are no doubt feeling over this.

Maybe a natural anti inflammatories like turmeric and fish oil might help a little?

Wishing Zig all the very best.

I decided to just let him take it easy (no mad running at the park) and see how he goes with a day at home.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with him today - he seems fine. There is no sign of soreness or lameness at all..

I will keep him on chill out mode and he can just play with Bella for the next couple of days.

We were supposed to be going out to flyball on Saturday - might still go but just for a look, not a run.

I decided to just let him take it easy (no mad running at the park) and see how he goes with a day at home.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with him today - he seems fine. There is no sign of soreness or lameness at all..

I will keep him on chill out mode and he can just play with Bella for the next couple of days.

We were supposed to be going out to flyball on Saturday - might still go but just for a look, not a run.

If you haven't considered it, I would be contemplating the future of his flyball career.

It's hard enough on sound dogs, let alone those with structual issues. If he were mine, and I wanted him to make old bones, I would be looking at backing right off on explosive, repetitive forms of exercise completely.

I would be discussing it with my vet. The fact that he does not appear to be suffering any ill effects may be more due to his temperament than his health.

He hasn't had a go at fly ball as yet, we were invited out last weekend to come and have a look and see if he might be interested in it. Because he works for a ball and is pretty quick, we thought he might enjoy it - I hadn't thought of the impact of the quick turns and the ball release to be honest, I was keen to go and have a look.

You are right, it probably ins't a good idea.

There really isn't much he can do, is there with hip problems...

Agility is out, flyball is out, ball chasing is out, tug is out, he can't do weight pull or sledding and he wouldn't even be able to do dancing with dogs (even though that really isn't our sort of thing)..

I will have to find something that he can do - he is a very active (physically and mentally) dog who looks for things to do.

Now I am wondering if he is better off having a short life full of fun or a long life full of not much at all - it is a hard call.

I would want him around for a long time but then I look at him and the joy he gets out of running around, ball chasing, obedience work and all the fun stuff.

I guess it is time to really think about what we can do.

He already finds his ball in boxes etc but he will only do it a couple of times..

He doesn't mind puzzles, where he has to work out how to get his reward out of a container, box, or treat ball type thing.

He will throw the ball himself and follow it as well. But again, he only does it for a little while before he seems bored of it.

It isn't going to be easy - he loves to run and he loves to chase the ball.

He would run for ages and before I knew about his hips, I used to let him. He is now limited to 20 minutes give or take a few minutes each day.

Hopefully I can sell up here and buy the property I want (or another) with a dam, so he can swim - apart from running and tennis balls, swimming is a fave thing to do and it is actually good for him.

I put in an above ground pool last summer and he liked to get into that but he can only do it when I am in with him and I am not getting in it, in the middle of winter :)

Core strength and body awareness skills are great for dogs. I have 3 working bred dogs and they all get a 10 to 15 min session 2 to 3 times a week, all are happy to snooze the evening away afterwards, even more so than a good hour hill hike.

The most important thing is that they learn to use their bodies correctly and take their time with correct form, it's not about the crazy full on "strength work" you often see on the internet which can do more harm than good. Slow, deliberate movement where they are using their body properly is far more effective. Have a look at Bobbie Lyons work on her blog, Pawsitive Performance.