Super Premium Puppy Kibble - Golden Retriever

My 5 month GR Murphy is currently eating Pro Plan and I am considering getting a better quality product, for his long term health.

After reading many forums I decided to try the Eagle Pack puppy for Large Breeds. However this is no longer available in store and is only in a few online stores. I would like something that will be simple to get.

The other option I saw was Black Hawk. Or maybe Iams?

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on the better products?

I wouldnt go near Black Hawk. Took me well over a year to get my dogs coats back in condition. Dont know much about Iams.

Heard good things about Royal Cannin.

I use Canidae pure sea, Earthborn Holistic or am currently trying out Sunday Pets which I am very happy with thus far. I like to have a few kibbles to choose from for variety.Both my guys have special needs though. No grain, corn,wheat or Soy etc & they are on 80% raw diet.

Having said this. The best dry food for your pup is the one that he does the best on. My suggestion besides find out what the breeder suggests. Research a few dry foods. Go over ingredient

lists etc then get a couple of sample bags & see how pup goes before buying a huge bag. Good luck. There are quite a few premium ones to choose from :)

I know many large breed puppies raised on pro plan. Remember to go off the packet that you have (that's made here in Australia), as a lot of the review websites are American based and the American Pro Plan has different ingredients.

If he is doing well on it I wouldn't change.

I only switched because my boy can't tolerate chicken or grains. Holistic Select is made by Eagle Pack, they have puppy versions. The brand my boy is on now which I'm extremely happy with is Earthborn Holistic.

Edited by LisaCC

I used to use Proplan, but at the beginning of this year I swapped to Royal Canin and my dogs look amazing on it.

Also Royal Canin does breed specific kibble, I use the French Bullog one.

Pro Plan is what the breeder suggested, so we use it.

I have heard many times it is what your pup does best on. What does that actually mean? Murphy is growing well, putting on weight however he does get bouts of the runs, but I guess that is more of the stuff he eats from the garden.

I really want to do right by Murphy.

What they do best on means exactly that ,You wouldn't feed a food that they don't thrive on or causes issues .

The runs could be from the food or like you say from the garden or any treats or other things ,

The best beat is to talk with your breeder if your not happy after all the diet suggested is done so for a reason & they now there pups & there breed ,

My dogs do awful on barf ,poor weight,poor coat,runs ,what i feed they do awesome on but another dog may not

It means how does Murphy actually look??? How is his over all appearence? Is his coat shiny? His skin is healthy, not flakey ?Does he have great energy levels? His weight is good?

Signs of food intolerence sometimes are itchy paws/skin. Scratching alot. Flakey skin. Dandruff. Ear issues. Loose stools at times.

These are some of the questions to ask yourself when you wonder if you have him on the right dry food. If you are in doubt you can try a few different dry food samples with Murphy. See how he goes.

Edited by BC Crazy

I fed Artemis for the first 2 years or so and then switched back to proplan (what the breeder had started them on), my oldest dog went off Artemis after a while, the formula changed or maybe just the kibble shape and size and she just didn't like it anymore. She does well on proplan (salmon variety because she loves fish, not due to skin issues). She gets the occasional ear infection but it seems to be seasonal/environmental, otherwise no issues at all. New puppy is on eukanuba for now as that is what her breeder feeds, we'll see how we go with that, so far so good but she's only been home a week and a half :laugh:

Both are golden retrievers