Registered Breeder Vs Back Yard Breeder

miss2

My BC is a total pain in the arse as a pet. But then again aren't they supposed to be a dog who can or would work all day? If they don't have drive, enthusiasm and a want to be on the go then they are kinda not really what they are supposed to be are they!

If they are not willing to put in the effort to find the right dog, I suspect they are not willing to put in the effort a BC requires.

They are supposed to have a good off switch. Work when required and chill out when they aren't but they need a lot more mental stimulation than physical exercise as adults anyway. The puppies have two speeds, flat out doing things and asleep. They never just sit around and look cute like other breeds.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does have an off switch sometimes. He is a working border Collie who can and does work all day. He keeps himself occupied by chasing leaves, wind, raindrops, planes and the moon. Now he is a bit older he will lay down for a bit but flex one muscle and he moves.

He is far more active than any show line Border Collie I have come across.

He chooses to stay outside as when he is inside he is expected to lay still, which he will do but he prefers not to.

He can work sheep run to the house from the yards and goo woohoo your playing ball, pick me pick me.

He will happily settle tethered or crated or inside but prefers to keep moving.

If they can't be bothered to do some basic homework on breed, breed characteristics or breeders, maybe they should consider a goldfish.

No matter the breed or even the species, time needs to dedicated to the animal. Even down to what to do with the animal when they are on holidays.

There is more to owning a border collie than just walking it daily. They don't necessarily need to be walked as much as provided mental activity during the day. A bored dog will be a destructive dog.

I too agree with Mystiqview; in the long run it doesn't matter where the dog comes from it's how it's trained and treated that counts. You need to be willing to work *with* the dog and learn along with it because no matter how much you think you know, you'll always be surprised by something.

Choosing a suitable breed is key but so is having an open mind once the pup comes home.