11 Things That Humans Do That Dogs Hate

sheena

I don't think my dogs have read those 11 things they're supposed to hate. They're Cavaliers and love any petting or interaction with anyone.

They don't respond to the butt scratch, they like the behind the ear scratch. If I say cuddle when I'm lying on the bed reading, they jump on the bed, lay down beside me and put their head on my chest, so they missed reading that one.

I'll have to vary our walks, I go the same way usually but there's a good reason why. We do the slow meander though I mostly let them sniff trees for what I think is long enough.

The general gist of the 11 things is good.

My Samoyeds are hopeless. They insist strangers cuddle, pat on the head and talk to them. Almost every night one of us will end up covered in samoyeds who demand being held as though they're cats.....

As a general list it's good, especially for kids and new owners but I know many dogs who enjoy things they apparently shouldn't.

In regards to the hugging and face rubbing, my dogs love a good hug and I have just spend a few minutes giving my dog a nice long face rub and she comes up and starts rubbing her head on me when she wants one :laugh:

BUT, I would never do that to a dog that isn't mine, especially the hugging. And I think that is the point of the list.

Edit: Although after a reread it does say your dog! Maybe I misinterpreted it.

Edited by korbin13

Well, I think it's a good list, especially to give kids some clear guidelines. Obviously all dogs are different (particularly if it's your interaction with your own dog) but it's a good rule of thumb list.

My dog isn't keen on head pats or hugs by anyone outside our household. He will actively seek my OH, the kids or myself out for snuggles and ear rubs (and sleeps with his head in our laps on the couch). However he quickly moves away from visitors/ strangers zooming in for a head pat. Just not keen. He is more affectionate with regular visitors. He is more likely to bring them squeaky toys than seek out a pat though. :laugh:

Didi loves snuggles and will sit next to you on the couch and shove her nose into your armpit so can wriggle her head in and lean into you for a hug. I don't think I ever really pat her on the head but I do massage behind her ears/along cheeks and she will close her eyes and lean into it.

That said it'd be really great if non-dog savvy people read this list, a lot of them really don't get how perceptive dogs are and for the most part I would say most dogs would not appreciate strangers doing those things. I have found that Didi really does not like elderly people as they generally hold eye intense contact without really realising and very slowly reach out to pat her which makes her uncomfortable and she will grumble at them and back up especially if they are trying to touch her head. I've also found that those that don't ask to pat her are generally the ones who will keep persisting to do something that makes her uncomfortable because you know, it's their right to pat my dog regardless how either of us feel about it! It's harder still when Didi is quite an aloof dog and isn't really interested in strangers in the first place and now that she's at a very convenient hip level people just stick their hands out as they go past. I'm seriously thinking of buying a harness jusy so I can put 'do not pet' on it.

Good thing Didi is so large and to most people scary when she gives off her warning signs like a grumble and opening her mouth. I feel like with smaller dogs many people are less put off, might even think it's being cute and 'grumpy' and keep pushing the dog until it bites instead of backing off when the dog first showed it was uncomfortable.

I found these on someones FB page -

✿⊰✿⊰✿ 10 PEEVES DOGS HAVE ABOUT HUMANS ✿⊰✿⊰✿

1. Blaming your farts on me...not funny...not funny at all!

2. Yelling at me for barking. I'M A FRIGGIN' DOG, YOU DUMMIE!

3. Taking me for a walk, then not letting me check stuff out. Exactly whose walk is this anyway?

4. Any trick that involves balancing food on my nose.....Stop it!

5. Any haircut that involves a bow. Now you know why we chew your stuff up when you're not home.

6. The sleight of hand, fake fetch throw. You fooled a dog! Wooo Hoo!! What a proud moment for the top of the food chain.

7. Taking me to the vet for "the big snip", then being surprised when I freak out every time we go back!

8. Getting upset when I sniff the crotches of your guests. Sorry, but I haven't quite mastered that handshake thing yet.

9. Dog sweaters. Hello??? Haven't you noticed the fur?

10. How you act disgusted when I lick myself. Look, we both know the truth; you're just jealous.

Now lay off on some of these things.

We both know who is boss here!

You don't see me picking up your poop do you?