Bloody Discharge From Nose After Eye Removal

Well I finally took the plunge and had Emma's left eye removed after battling glaucoma and recurring ulcers.

It will be two weeks on Tuesday since the operation and she'll have the stitches out then.

However 10 days since the op she is still getting a bloody discharge from the left nostril. It's not excessive - just a small smear on a tissue - and she's otherwise well so I'm not unduly concerned (except for the fact that it's making a mess of my walls!)

Is this usual?

This is a question you need to direct to the vet who did the surgery. Nobody here can tell you if it is usual. I hope she comes good soon, sounds like you have both been through the wars and more.

Edited by Florise

Glad she's feeling well :) yes- give the clinic a ring and ask ... it may be just still healing - but best to check if you;re concerned .

Her appointment to have the stitches out is next Tuesday morning so I'll leave contacting them until then. I just thought that sometimes real life experiences add a lot to vet advice!

I had to take her back 7 days ago as she must have knocked the orbit (sp?) because it swelled up again like just after the operation and she developed a full on nose blood. The swelling subsided as did the blood, but there's still this nagging amount that doesn't want to go away. One vet thought she may have a bleeding disorder which I think unlikely as she apparently didn't bleed much during the operation and shehad a full blood panel a couple of months before which showed nothing out of the ordinary. Being blind and largely deaf, she's spent the last 10 days banging and crashing into walls with the cone on her heard, so I'm sure this is not helping the healing process!

I can already tell, however, that since the eye removal she's much happier and is frantic to go on her walk every morning!

:) well, if she keeps on travelling by impact - there is the possibilty of the healing sites being jiggled !! Glad she is enjoying her walks again!

A thought - have you tried using 'signs' for her to follow paths not involving walls?

use (real) vanilla , or lavender/ peppermint oils .. just a tiny amount and train her so that this smell shows the way to her food /treats . put drops along safe paths, maybe ..so she has something to follow?

You can also help by using a carpet runner or similar - so she has teh cue of different underfoot texture to find her way around .

(apologies if you have done this ) :o

When my cat had her eye removed she had a bloody discharge for quite some time, it did clear up. My vets advice was as long as she is happy and eating well just keep an eye on her unless the discharge becomes heavy

My doggie had an eye removed a few years ago, and for the first couple of weeks if he sneezed, there would be blood sprayed out. My vet said that was fairly normal - just excess blood draining out after the op.