Both Sick Again Tearing My Hair Out.

Charjas

On the packet says crude protein 29%

Was going to try canidae grain free and got small bag but it's protein is 32%

When all this started I thought the holistic select smelt strong but who knows. I need to find a vet that has time for my story. God help them.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I do not know your history and I am not fully understanding however...Interceptor is given as a heartworm preventative.

It is given monthly and will control round worm but not tapeworms.

Second thing is what are you using to control fleas?

That ^ bolded part is not correct. Interceptor does prevent tapeworm.

Of course if Charjas forgets to give Interceptor regularly there is no protection against any worms, including heartworm.

Charjas, in order for your dog to have tapeworm it must have fleas. Tapeworm comes from the dog ingesting fleas when they bite at the itch. It would be best if you use Sentinel instead of Interceptor to prevent a flea infestation. Again, if you forget to give the dogs the medication they have no protection against anything.

I don't know your history either but I wanted to assure Charjas that Interceptor does prevent tapeworm.

Sorry I do not know your history and I am not fully understanding however...Interceptor is given as a heartworm preventative.

It is given monthly and will control round worm but not tapeworms.

Second thing is what are you using to control fleas?

That ^ bolded part is not correct. Interceptor does prevent tapeworm.

Of course if Charjas forgets to give Interceptor regularly there is no protection against any worms, including heartworm.

Charjas, in order for your dog to have tapeworm it must have fleas. Tapeworm comes from the dog ingesting fleas when they bite at the itch. It would be best if you use Sentinel instead of Interceptor to prevent a flea infestation. Again, if you forget to give the dogs the medication they have no protection against anything.

I don't know your history either but I wanted to assure Charjas that Interceptor does prevent tapeworm.

I've always given advantix or similar in summer not do much winter because Charlie vomits they don't have fleas though. Never found one on them or in house and when groomer washes them she says same but I'll redo the flea

Just stop for a minute -

When your dogs are obviously in trouble , and especially when one has a liver problem ..

they do NOT need any more chemicals in their bodies :(

this is shown by you posting that Charlie vomits after treatment :(

I'm afraid there is is no way I would be using anything on my dog regularly if he vomited afterwards :( :(

Don't panic and, please, until you find another vet , do NOT throw extra insecticide etc at them - that will not help at present ..

Pls find another vet.. do NOT treat them for anything until the new vet has seen them .

It is no help at all just re dosing with things , if you don't have a diagnosis .

take a fecal sample (fresh) to a new vet ... and see what happens there .The only thing I would suggest is that a sample be tested for WHIPWORMS .

Colitis can be caused by many things ..and you would do better by taking things slowly ..getting tests done, and getting new eyes to have a look :)

Edited by persephone

You need to find a new vet. This one is not helping your dogs. Holistic Select is a good quality dry food. Science diet is rubbish and vets push Hills (Science Diet) products because they sell it and make a good mark up on it. I can't imagine why this vet has your dog on a product for hair balls! I would be stopping that food and putting them back on the Holistic Select immediately.

If you're concerned about the protein content go to the Canidae website. They have a full analysis of all their foods on the website. I was researching this last night as I'm interested in the fat content of their dry foods.

Your dogs are obviously picking up intestinal bugs which is why they improve when they're on Flagyl. It's probably from the possums. Likewise the dog must have picked up tapeworm eggs in the possum droppings if you are sure they've not had fleas.

Edited to add: A lot of dogs vomit on Drontal. That's not at all unusual. Drontal causes your dogs to vomit so it is not a suitable product for them.

Though Interceptor does indeed prevent tapeworm you would be better to use Sentinel in case your dogs pick up fleas from the possums. My dogs have been on Sentinel for years and have never had worms or fleas.

Mark the date when your dogs are due for Interceptor or Sentinel in red letters on your calendar. That way you won't forget it and you'll save yourself and the dogs, a heap of problems.

Edited to add: Many dogs vomit on Drontal, that's not at all unusual. Since your dogs do vomit then Drontal is not a suitable product for them.

Edited by cavNrott

Another point here. You said your dog had his appendix out. I don't know what kind of surgery he had but dogs don't have an appendix. They do have a small pouch called a caecum but I haven't heard of a dog having surgery to remove the caecum.

edited for terrible spelling.

Edited by cavNrott

Another point here. You said your dog had his appendix out. I don't know what kind of surgery he had but dogs don't have an appendix. They do have a small pouch called a caecum but I haven't heard of a dog having surgery to remove the caecum.

edited for terrible spelling.

good point - I missed that .

Get a new vet...

Dogs should not be on cat food, it isn't a suitable food for them. Cats and dogs have different nutritional needs.

I would run a mile if a vet said to feed my dog cat food.

Why not a clean raw diet?

Or if time is an issue, as it is with me, I discovered Vets All Natural and Zig has never looked back on it. I always have some of the ready mad stuff in the fridge but you just buy the mix and soak it overnight and mix with good quality roo mince.. He gets that of a night and a bone of some description and a bit of kibble in the morning.I am using Royal Canine at the moment, the lower fat one.

We never change from this because it works for him..

Can you stop them eating the possum poo? I realise it isn't easy stopping something that they seem to like and have access to.

I hope you get it sorted,,it sounds very stressful, on all of you.

Edited by Staffyluv

Change vets

Dont use Advantix - small dogs quite often have reactions

Deter the Possums - try some of the "possum off" type products and clean up any droppings every morning.

Use a chicken and grain free simple food - even make your own meat and veg and add a vitamin supplement to give the tummy a rest.

Obviously something in the environment or the food or a combination of both is causing the problems.

Back to basics with as few chemicals as possible and most importantly a change of vet. Good luck - I can understand your frustration!

Ok replies to all queries , not sure how to reply individually on tapatalk.

Before I got jasper( 2011) Charlie was on a food made by the BARF but I chunkier type and this was ok but was too far to go when I ran out. My groomer used to stock it but stopped. I can't remember which biscuits he had. Tried some z something for sensitive stomach but he pooed everywhere. Then. royal canin,advantage, black hawk

Then few months on black hawk lamb and rice but I thought they seemed extra thirsty and Jasper was scratching a lot. Switched to holistic fish. It was ok. But i was still looking for alternatives. Night time was chicken necks but jasper gulps them down without chewing and Charlie was bringing up bits of bone. He had a barium because he always had a tender tummy. It showed food moved slowly but caecum enlarged. A prior blood test showed liver enzyme was high. After medication it went down by half but haven't given milk thistle as I should.

Blood test before Christmas showed the liver issue and I often think if his digestion is upset , bile or something might go into his stomach and the upset his bowel. I have had IBS and that's what he's like. Few good weeks then something sets him off.

When they have flagyl they pick up straightaway. I took a sample Saturday morning and she tested for giardia, few other things. Result was the tape worm eggs.

I use interceptor spectrum not sentinel but believed it treats tapeworm. Just don't understand how it could be that they had it 2 1/2 weeks ago too. I had forgotten my June dose because I needed to buy a new one and didn't leave the box on bench as a reminder. So they did go from 30 may till mid July without. That's when vet gave drontal and I bought more interceptor and hence gave it 16 August. Perhaps it didn't kill all.

He has always had a vomit about 2 days after worming or flea treatment. Error. I don't use Advantix , I use frontline but not since summer. He has no fleas , never scratches.

After last bout of jelly poo and flagyl vet said add pumpkin or sweet potato to his chicken/ rice so did that plus small amount HAIR BALL CONTROL BISCUITS. I really didn't ask why. But I did notice if I gave Charlie only biscuits he did a yellow vomit later that day. So I only mixed some biscuits in. I tried the canidae fish ones once but then he pooed everywhere in the laundry.

In himself he's ok. Usually if he's off he walks slowly, tail down, long face, back to bed.

But he's chasing jasper and running round with ball. Just still pooing sloppy puddles.

I'm giving ensal am / pm.

He's supposed to have his blood test in the morning for his liver.

I know he might have worm eggs but I suspecting an underlying bowel or stomach issue. Colitis?? IBS??

Then the vet assistant on the phone yesterday said I might want to try stem cell something. That really was the final straw.

Today for breakfast : chicken/rice/ sweet potato/ BISCUITS. Mixed together.

I live in Sutherland shire. Really not had too much experience with other vets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forgot to say I've fenced off the small garden , checked the pavers for possum poo, sprayed fence top with SCAT. my husband is going to put some spikes along fence to interrupt movement near our yard.

Oops also forgot. Then they said he could be sensitive to chicken and try another protein or do elimination diet. I'm running out of protein and he's had rice, pasta , pumpkin, sweet potato. Next carbohydrate???

Of course they said they had a packaged biscuit with hydrolized protein but on research online on a site with dr Jean Dodd they didn't advocate hydrolized protein but novel protein.

Get a new vet...

Dogs should not be on cat food, it isn't a suitable food for them. Cats and dogs have different nutritional needs.

I would run a mile if a vet said to feed my dog cat food.

Why not a clean raw diet?

Or if time is an issue, as it is with me, I discovered Vets All Natural and Zig has never looked back on it. I always have some of the ready mad stuff in the fridge but you just buy the mix and soak it overnight and mix with good quality roo mince.. He gets that of a night and a bone of some description and a bit of kibble in the morning.I am using Royal Canine at the moment, the lower fat one.

We never change from this because it works for him..

Can you stop them eating the possum poo? I realise it isn't easy stopping something that they seem to like and have access to.

I hope you get it sorted,,it sounds very stressful, on all of you.

What is that food??

Where is it available ??