How Long Should It Take To Grow Back A Shaved Coat?

cassie

Hi folks. Wondering if anyone has experience with this. The dog in question is my Saint Bernard Sumo. He suffered bloat and had surgery three and a half weeks ago, where they shaved his entire belly. I'm wondering how long should it take for his coat to grow back completely?

He is a rough Saint (long coat), male, entire, 17 months old, if any of that makes a difference I'm not sure. He is 2 measley points off his champion title and I want to know when approximately I can have him back in the ring.

Thanks in advance.

Cassie, if it is just his belly, can you blow dry the coat on his sides down to cover the worst of it? If not, you should get enough hair growth to not look too bad within a month or so. It just can vary, because he also had an anaesthetic, which can spark a coat drop. :-(

Brush his shaved area gently a couple of times a day with a soft brush to stimulate the area. Paws by Blackmores also do a Coat, Skin and Nails multivitamin chew that has some good trace elements that may help.

Glad that he is doing well.

Phillipa

:)

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking of entering him soon anyway to hopefully get his title (I don't think there are any rules saying you can't if they're shaved?) and then maybe I'll leave him out for a while until he's looking good again. He's supposed to be shown at the Adelaide Royal in 2 weeks time, unfortunately I don't think we should go if he's not looking his best :( Such a shame as he had a ball last year and lapped up all the attention.

Thanks Sags - I might look into that vitamin. The hair on his legs (where he had needles) seems to be growing back quite well but his tummy hair isn't. I like the idea of gently brushing it though to stimulate the growth, hadn't thought of that so thanks. The rest of his coat hasn't dropped, he had quite a severe coat drop a month or so before the anesthetic which may have worked in his favour.

Thanks Vehs and Raineth for sharing your experiences too.

I can't tell you in terms of actual time, but I have found that age plays a role. I imagine your Sumo would grow quite quickly. I have had only toy breeds and found that the younger ones grow out fairly quickly, whereas the older dogs can take quite a while.

Good luck with your showing. Sumo is one gorgeous big dog :thumbsup:

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Westiemum, Bunter (about 13) had to have his tummy shaved at one stage and it took ages to grow back, but once started, the usual gorgeous coat arrived. And the groomers did a pretty awful job of clipping him a couple of grooms ago and it took ages for him to stop looking like a neglected, moulting fur coat. Whereas Tamar who is a few years younger and was clipped at the same time, has needed another clip.

Isn't Vit E supposed to help skin and hair?

Good luck with getting the wonderful Sumo back to glorious full coat.

My boy had knee surgery 7 weeks ago. Now the regrowth is about a cm. But strangely, the upper thigh where the butt is, has not grown back at all. The leg is only three quarters fluffy despite it being shaved at the same time. The epidural area has not grown back in the slightest!

It is really weird how the fur grows back and where first.