Bought On Limited But Breeder Will Change To Mains?

miss2

thanks everyone.

this is me not knowing much about showing, but does a pup have to start its show career and title career as a pup? wouldn't it be a lot harder to be switched to mains at an older age and then start showing?

My boy was always on Mains, I showed him once at 5 months, and now we are trying again in just a few short weeks at 16months! Umm, I'll let you know how hard it is laugh.gif

thanks everyone.

this is me not knowing much about showing, but does a pup have to start its show career and title career as a pup? wouldn't it be a lot harder to be switched to mains at an older age and then start showing?

You can start showing an older dog it doesn't make any difference however getting them out young does help with training and socialization.

you don't start earning points until 6mths.

I think what I was musing was you can up grade, registerwise, but not down grade?. You can breed a limited register dog all you want but you can't register the pups. But if you have a mains dog who failed the grade, nothing is stopping you from being able to register the pups (you know, if both parents are, ect)right?

Some of the faults that prevent showing can be fairly superficial though. ie pricked ears in a Border Collie.

I doubt that the breeder can downgrade a pup that has been sold to someone else without that person's consent. To do so would open up a legal can of worms. If I pay for a first class ticket, the airline can't downgrade me to economy!

Edited by sandgrubber

thanks everyone.

The sire of my current puppy did not start his career until he changed continents.

He actually became an Australian Champion by the time he was 4 years of age.

His sire was the 2010 Crufts winner, a beauitful Hungarian Vizsla

If you are interested here's Levi's pedigree name.

Aust Ch Lalamychar Dream Boy (Imp UK)

'Levi'

It is possible. I have shown to get final points for championships with older dogs.

it's up to you AND how the dog/bitch takes to the Show Ring, imo.

:)

Yes, a dog can be transferred from the main register to the limited register. Main register also has the option of the registration being marked 'not for breeding' (also 'not for export').  Here is a link to the scale of charges for Dogs Nsw: <a href="http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/images/stories/PDFS/Order_Form.pdf">http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/images/stories/PDFS/Order_Form.pdf</a>

I have recently upgraded a dog I bred from limited to main (she had missing pigment I was not confident would fill, but it has). Her owner is going to show her in her first show in a couple of weeks. She is 16 months old. They have been doing obedience classes up til now and recently have attended a few show training classes as well.

Edited by espinay2

thanks everyone.

Depends upon the dog and the people showing it. I purchased a dog from the USA some years ago now. He arrived in Australia as a 7 year old. It took a year and a bit to get him back into coat. He hit the showring as an 8 year old and won a Best In Show (All Breeds) 2 days after his 9th birthday and his title a couple of months after that. So it can be done. On the other hand however, I had a nice bitch and tried to show her as an adult but she just hated it so I didn't pursue it. She had one litter and it was a good one. She was very happy with her life on the couch.

As to the original question. I have upgraded a Limited Register dog born in Tasmania to Main Registration (dog resided in Victoria). I arranged to have the dog evaluated by a trusted friend in Victoria. Then the owner and I both wrote to the TCA (and included relevant cheque) to request upgrade to Main. It was ratified by the committee and upgrade was done about a month later.