Dancing With Dogs - Would Like To Give This A Go With Abby

Does anyone have any recommendations for any good resources for training the basics of dances with dogs?

I would love to give this a try with Abby, my little chi x. I wouldn't be against joining a club down the track (haven't researched if there are any up this way yet - I live an hour from Townsville). At this stage though, I'd be happy to have a play at home, but would like to start with foundations and just have some fun.

Any good advice about learning about this is appreciated. :-)

Does anyone have any recommendations for any good resources for training the basics of dances with dogs?

I would love to give this a try with Abby, my little chi x. I wouldn't be against joining a club down the track (haven't researched if there are any up this way yet - I live an hour from Townsville). At this stage though, I'd be happy to have a play at home, but would like to start with foundations and just have some fun.

Any good advice about learning about this is appreciated. :-)

What a shame you are not in Sydney. Luci Ellem does this with dogs. Most dogs ( and humans) do enjoy the activity.

There is actually a Club in Queensland.

http://www.danceswithdogsclubqld.org/

They are on Facebook ( if you use it). Should get some help there. Youtube has many videos. Look for Freestyle Dancing, Crufts too. Some wonderful clips.

I hope you have luck.... I would love to see photos

:D

Yes .. contact DWDQ. They are an awesome bunch of people, and I'm sure they'll have some great suggestions. You might try sending a PM to BC4ME .., you should find hr on the DWD thread in this forum. :)

Thanks Tassie and VM, I have contacted them now. :thumbsup: I shall stalk the DWD thread!

I did this online course with Michelle Poulloit through the Karen Pryor Academy which I really enjoyed. I also got hold of a great workshop manual Dances With Dogs Training Manual March 2014 Gay Westmore Dances With Dogs Queensland. I havn't done much over the last few months as I have been kept busy with agility, but hope to get back into it over Summer.

I did this online course with Michelle Poulloit through the Karen Pryor Academy which I really enjoyed. I also got hold of a great workshop manual Dances With Dogs Training Manual March 2014 Gay Westmore Dances With Dogs Queensland. I havn't done much over the last few months as I have been kept busy with agility, but hope to get back into it over Summer.

Hi Sheena,

Thanks for the info. Was there feedback in the online course? What skill level do you require prior to get the most out of it?

I've emailed DWDQ about manuals, is your a basic one?

Gay's book is great, and there are a few commercial books out there - Kay Lawrence and Mary Ray are two that spring to mind. Denise Fenzi's online Academy is running a Rally Freestyle course next session (Rally with DWD moves thrown in) so that could be another online option for you (you can observe a course at Bronze level for a reasonable cost)

Yes .. contact DWDQ. They are an awesome bunch of people, and I'm sure they'll have some great suggestions. You might try sending a PM to BC4ME .., you should find hr on the DWD thread in this forum. :)

Thanks Tassie and VM, I have contacted them now. :thumbsup: I shall stalk the DWD thread!

Do keep us updated here if you think suitable.

Might look at the DWD thread too.

Though, not sure how to tell a butch 10 month old male Vizsla he might be going to learn to dance.

He is keener on agility at the moment.

And my toes need some protection.

:rofl:

Hi Sheena,

Thanks for the info. Was there feedback in the online course? What skill level do you require prior to get the most out of it?

Skill level was from raw beginners to putting on a performance. It is all "Clicker" based training. The manual is just as I described. I think it cost me about $25 & I happened to come to get it by chance. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sheena,

Skill level was from raw beginners to putting on a performance. It is all "Clicker" based training. The manual is just as I described. I think it cost me about $25 & I happened to come to get it by chance. :)

Also make sure that you come and say hi in this thread. Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music All brags, music, costume, prop ideas and discussions for DWD