My Dog Won't Eat!

danakay9

If you've gone straight from wet to dry I would suggest mixing a bit of her wet food through it

I have done that before but i've heard that its not good to it because they become more picky like that :noidea:

I can't see her becoming any more picky than refusing to eat completely!!

She doesn't need to eat kibble if you work on a balancing her diet with other food. Whilst I'm no fan of canned food if she's happy eating that and gets raw meaty bones regularly, I'd probably not bother with kibble.

How strange!

Have you thought about a raw diet? Do you mind making her food yourself?

I do make her home cooked meals a couple times a week and also feed her cut up raw chicken necks for a meal sometimes or maybe even raw meat

Does she eat what you offer other than the dried food?

There are many great options that don't rely on kibble. Why not try BARF patties (frozen so easy to store), Vet's All Natural (with a little doggie, you can buy the RAW which is fully prepared for you and raw), or work on making your own balanced diet. Not all kibbles are the same, nutritionally or in taste, so maybe get some samples of some like Royal Canin (very palatable), Canidae, Sunday Pets or similar and see if she really takes to one of them.

Sags

:)

Edited by Sagittarian

Be confident that you are and have not created mere "fussiness" (to me, I can tell with my own dogs if it is likely *fussy eating* or some definite underlying reason) and also know that there is no other physical issue such as sore mouth/teeth/gums or blockage etc. In the absence of those obvious things, I say "listen to your dog". Personal experience has taught me that yes, there definitely can be something the dog knows before we do.

I'd be more concerned if you'd written that your dog won't eat meat (i.e. whole raw). Must admit I wouldn't be inclined to *cook* the food unless there's an absolute reason why you must. But if the dog eats all else and is happy and well, listen to her .... she may be telling you what's best for her.

Be confident that you are and have not created mere "fussiness" (to me, I can tell with my own dogs if it is likely *fussy eating* or some definite underlying reason) and also know that there is no other physical issue such as sore mouth/teeth/gums or blockage etc. In the absence of those obvious things, I say "listen to your dog". Personal experience has taught me that yes, there definitely can be something the dog knows before we do.

I'd be more concerned if you'd written that your dog won't eat meat (i.e. whole raw). Must admit I wouldn't be inclined to *cook* the food unless there's an absolute reason why you must. But if the dog eats all else and is happy and well, listen to her .... she may be telling you what's best for her.

Yes. I think that is one smart puppy. She knows what's best for her.

So your dog has had no problems with dry food in the past? Did she stop eating it when you changed brands, or did she stop eating it for no apparent reason?

Dogs can get confused with a new food and take time to adjust, or when they're eating a food they find easier to digest then they may cut down their intake. If you're feeding wet food too and she's getting what she needs from that then that could be the reason she's leaving the dry. Or she might be finding another source of food, such as in the garden...

I'd recommend checking in with your vet as it could be a dentistry issue or something else.