Dog With Autism...?

miss2

Don't worry about her running and hiding from you that time :)

Take up your friend's methods and I'm sure puppy will be seeing you in the same light very quickly. It's all about building the value puppy holds for you :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to go away for a few days and left pup with a very knowledgeable doggie friend to look after for me.

She continued the method that I had started with pup that nothing is free and my friend treating her all the time. Upon picking her up I was shocked to see my little aloof pup following my friend around, coming when called, sitting and dropping. Everything she did she worked for a treat which is fine with me.

Whilst She said she didn't get any affection from her but she never once ran away from them...

When I arrived I was down on the ground calling her, on her level happy to see her. She RAN towards me! Smiling and running straight into my arms for a cuddle, it was amazing. It only lasted 1 minute and then she went straight to my friend looking for treats. I took over the treating and she payed attention to me for a little bit then all of a sudden ears back, tail between the legs and running and trying to hide behind the fridge just to get away from me.....

She wouldn't come out for me but when my friend called her she ran straight out. My friend couldn't believe this as she hadn't once tried to run away from her.

I think it's just me and hubby she hates..

So she has the potential to be a normal little dog but something about your approach (completely innocent on your part I'm sure) feels threatening to her. It might be as simple as you being anxious about her behaviour and your anxiety she picks up but doesn't know why so runs...

I think you need to see a competent behaviourist (which strikes out the one you have already seen) who can teach you how to relate to this little one a bit better. I'm sure you have a great relationship with your other dog and others in the past, but hey are not all stamped in the same mould and you may have to learn to adjust your approach. I suspect you and hubby may need to be more relaxed and confident with her, but a good behaviourist observing the interaction between you and the new puppy could tell you for sure.

I hope when you get the behaviourist home visit you will be able to understand what's happening :) You and your husband may have really scared her by being stern/angry when she toileted indoors or something - and it may take a long while for her to feel comfortable. Just a thought....

Actually Jake finds people who try to hard with him to be very intimidating. Just be casual, no food from a bowl, every now and then just call her over give a bit of kibble a small pat and then set her free. You'll find they start watching you and it just becomes habit.

To build confidence 101 things to do with a box is really good. It starts getting them thinking and trying new stuff. Three minute training sessions are great, no ones bored or frustrated and you just do lots of little bits through the day.

Actually Jake finds people who try to hard with him to be very intimidating.

I have a cat like this :p

Good luck miss2, don't let yourself get down! I had a few sad days when I felt like my pup was only naughty when she was alone with me, when OH was around she wasn't naughty. I got so anxious about it that it was making her act up more. We got out of that cycle, but I feel for you and hope it improves soon!