Dried Pig Trotters - Any Good?

Stitch

In a moment of enthusiasm I bought some Aussie Pet Health Treats "Trotters".

They come in a professional resealable pack & look to be dried in a similar way to piggy ears. They are from 100% Australian pork.

I have never bought them before but they looked like a nice, long lasting chew and I succumbed....now I am having second thoughts.

Has anyone tried them on their dogs before?

Previously I have always avoided giving anything that had "cooked" bones.

Are they safe?

Edited by Stitch

I have fed them once and they were happily munched down by my husky, but too fast for my liking. I prefer bully sticks or tendons for prepackaged chews but stick to raw beef neck for a longer lasting chew (around 2 hours)

A friend who has Tenterfield terriers - gave me one for my cattle dog ...

The tenterfields were happily occupied by the pig trotters for over an hour while I was there training my friend's computer into usefulness...

My dog I think it was less than 3 minutes of joy and the thing was gone - completely. I was a bit surprised but she's not getting any more. There were no bad after effects this time.

As far as treats like that go - the value depends a lot on what the dog does with them. Pigs ears are quite fatty - so not good if the dog has a tummy upset (my dog takes less than 3 mins to demolish these too).

I prefer (my dog LOVES) roo jerky - ie dried bits of roo meat with no bones in it... we get about the same amount of joy with those and fewer risks that you get with fatty food or stuff with dried or smoked (aka cooked) bones in.

I found cows ears to be better than pigs, they last a little bit longer and are not as fatty. But my experience is similar to Mrs RB, most of these chews get demolished in under 3 minutes. I have bought the blackdog dried beef knuckles a couple of times, they are so big that they can't fit in the mouth and therefore don't get devoured they will last a long while. I haven't tried one since my boy is quite big now, so I don't know how they would go, but I don't think he would be able to eat the whole thing???

Nothing I have tried comes close to the raw beef neck, that I give him frozen on an old towel. He will chew and chew until he is exhausted - which is a very very good thing with a teenage husky :D I get them from the butcher and get him to cut it into 4 or 5 pieces depending on the size. Pop them in individual freezer bags and into the freezer. I will say that I do feed prey model raw, so if you are feeding kibble, you just need to moderate how often you feed them due to the amount of additional calcium the dog will be getting and whether your dog eats the whole thing. If the dog just chews the meat and gristle off with a small amount of bone then every day would be okay. If he eats the whole thing then once or twice a week. The bonus is bright white teeth :thumbsup:

I gave them to my two once and they both threw them back up. Neither of them are spewers as a rule so I think maybe they were just too fatty or something...not sure.

That doesn't surprise me, they are very rich and fatty and that smell they give off ...

Lol totally agree about the raw beef neck/spine. My dogs love it and days later they are still chewing on and carrying vertebrae around the yard :) I tried all the dried treats I could get and couldn't find anything I was really happy with. They did eat the dried trotters once or twice with no ill effects but I stopped giving them because they only lasted a few minutes. I wouldn't give them to a dog that's not on a 100% raw diet though, as they may not have the necessary gastric acidity to digest the bones properly.

I've tried different ears, tendon, jerky, bully sticks etc and none lasted. Ordered cow hooves and deer antlers but they didn't really like them much. In terms of lasting a long time and being enjoyed, nothing beat the good old rawhide bones, but that's not really something I want to give more than once in a blue moon. Raw meaty bones are awesome but it would be nice to have a less messy chew option for inside!

I won some of the trotters once...I think they may have been split in two. I didn't like the idea that they were fatty (pork) & also weight bearing bones, so I threw them out. For dry chews, I give my guys dried kangaroo ribs & dried fish skin, both of which I buy from Loyalty Pet Treats. Neither of them are long lasting though as the whole lot are consumed.

My dog can make a large (30cm) rawhide bone disappear inside 20 minutes (used to take her days when she was a puppy). The after effects of a 20 minute demolition - are ugly.

Beef neck might be worth a try but I think for her - beef brisket (the soft end of the ribs) might be safer since neck bones still splinter.

I gave them to my two once and they both threw them back up. Neither of them are spewers as a rule so I think maybe they were just too fatty or something...not sure.

That doesn't surprise me, they are very rich and fatty and that smell they give off ...

Yes they do stink. I got given a kilo bag of them for my birthday last year, apparently I'm hard to buy for :laugh: and after they threw them up I donated the rest of the bag to my local pound. I don't give them pigs ears anymore either as Stan almost choked to death on one and Maddie got her tooth stuck through one and I couldn't get the bloody thing off!