Repeat Vaccs For Mature Dog?

Red Fox

A friend recently took an 18 month old dog in for vaccs (C5), the dog had not received any puppy shots. On booking the dog in for desexing she was told this could not be done until the dog had received another round of C5 as she was 'not protected'. Desexing could be done two weeks after the second vaccination.

I would have thought that a single vaccine given to a dog with a mature immune system would give adequate protection?

What is the general protocol with mature, previously un-vaccinated and/or rescue dogs?

Thanks

I have taken surrenders of dogs with zero vaccination history, various ages and they have had to have nasal KC and a single yearly C3 vacc rather than a C5 due to the lack of puppy shots.

Desexing has been done within a few days of the vacc and nasal. C5 three yearly can be given 12 months later.

I am not sure of the exact reason why, obviously it has something to do with C5 needing prior vaccination, but the nasal KC doesn't.

Vets have told her that the dog is not 'up to date' and due to parvo risks must have a second round of shots before surgery or they can't/won't do it.

I'm aware that KC needs to be repeated to be effective but this should have no bearing on the parvo risks?

As someone who vaccinates minimally I really can't see the reasoning here. Any dog with a mature immune system should be fully covered two weeks after a single vacc to my knowledge. So if it's not general protocol and simply pushiness on the vets behalf for an extra vaccine I will advise her to go elsewhere.

I'd be leery of any vet who is advocating a C5 TWICE in a short timeframe.

A single C3 should give adequate protection against the 3 big diseases within 1 to 2 weeks (if administered to an otherwise healthy dog).

I'd tell your friend to find another vet.

T.

I think that the injectable KC vaccine part needs to be redone after a couple of weeks, but the intra-nasal one doesn't, so it makes you wonder if this is what is being referred to - but even if it were, as you mentioned, this has no bearing on Parvo immunity levels, so all seems very strange.

the only reason for multiple vaccs in a puppy is that you need to hit the right timeframe for when mum's immunity wears off which can be anytime from about 9-16weeks. If maternal antibodies are present they vacc won't work hence the need to repeat a few times and hope you get it right. An 18month old will have no maternal antibodies so no need for a repeat, 1 vacc is sufficient.

edited to fix stupid phone autocorrect.

Edited by DeltaCharlie