Raw Feeding Meat And Bones Only?

I have raw fed for years, but always added a small bit of veg/pumpkin etc. as well. Turns out little Miss Poppy is a fussy feeder, which I've never had before - it's so unusual to have a dog that doesn't clear its bowl quickly :laugh:

She doesn't seem to like 'mushy' food and turns her nose up at the Big Dog barf patties and similar, but does eat 'chunky' meat, although still not with any great gusto but will eat a good amount of it at least. As soon as I add anything like pumpkin/sweet potato/veg/VAN complete mix she turns her nose up.

She loves her RMBs and will happily chow down a chicken wing/neck/lamb flaps.

So does anyone have experience of feeding just meat. Her current mix contains small chunks of lamb/beef/roo plus lamb liver/kidneys and heart. She will eat this all up eventually and I add a chicken neck to this most nights too. She will have a chicken wing/lamb ribs once or twice a week.

She is 10 months old now and weighs nearly 5kg, almost double her weight from when we got her 5 months ago - so I guess she is eating enough but I would like her to fill out a bit more. She has definitely got fussier over the past couple of months. I probably haven't helped and maybe pandering to her fussiness a bit :o I try the 'tough love' approach and give her the same food and nothing else, but after a couple of days of her not really eating anything I cave. She's too small to not eat anything for more than a couple of days.

I got some of this last week and will add this to her meat as well -Vet's All Natural Health Booster.

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=30&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=124

Photo from a week ago to show her size - she's the one on the left. All advice welcome :)

post-34105-0-91767300-1415591921_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we feed veges with ours but I know a lot of people believe that the veges aren't required so i think she would be fine, especially if you add in the health booster.

We used the health booster for ages and it always reassured me that I was filling in any gaps in their nutrition that I was accidentally missing. I was happy with the health booster, we are just trying out the show stopper supplement at the moment, but I think we will end up going back to Van Health Booster.

Does she eat egg? i found it a lot easier to mix in the veges + supplement when using a whole egg as a wetting/binding agent. Otherwise the pups would just eat around the veges :laugh: . The heath Booster is supposed to be mixed into damp food, so depending on how chunky your meat is (as opposed to a 'damp' mince to mix it in ifkwim) the egg might help with making sure there is enough moisture to mix the supplement into.

Does she eat egg? i found it a lot easier to mix in the veges + supplement when using a whole egg as a wetting/binding agent.

Thanks Lasareina :)

This is when she gets fussy when things get wet/mushy :laugh: I even made little round balls of the Big Dog barf mix for her but she just pushes it around! Her chunky mix is damp enough to hold the health booster quite well, just adding a tiny bit at the moment so it doesn't put her off. Fussy dogs are such hard work!

I have read that veg isn't necessary, she's growing and has plenty of energy so I guess she's doing ok - I just want to check that I'm not missing some vital component. She also has goat tendons/bully sticks/dried mussels etc. as treats.

haha it's so funny how they all have their own little personalities and foibles :) She sounds like she definitely knows her own mind :laugh:

I think the veggie is more for trace vitamins etc and fibre ?? maybe??

To me the most important components are the meat, bones and offal which it sounds like she is accepting ok. The supplement will fill in the vitamin and minerals that she may miss from veges. Maybe the only other thing would be an omega oil?

I am far from the most experienced raw feeder though, I'm sure someone will come along soon who knows what they are talking about a lot more than I do :laugh:

My feeling is that you don't need the veggies, but the offal (liver and kidneys) is required in addition to the meat and bone. Heart is classified as a muscle meat. I like adding a supplement as well, but wonder if it is really required or if it is more for my own peace of mind? :) Either way, I still use it but I don't know if it would make a suitable replacement for the offal.

I would try and add small whole fish into the diet rotation, I buy kilos of fresh sardines from Innaloo fish shop for $7.95 kg. They will supply a fully balanced meal to your little one. I serve them frozen.

Edited by Yonjuro

Good idea about the fish - she has tinned sardines in tomato sauce occasionally, but I think she would like to chomp a frozen sardine. Luckily she seems to like the liver/kidney, I thought she wouldn't take to offal but she ate it right up! I think she's just a little obligate carnivore :laugh:

I feed a prey model raw diet consisting of around 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% offal + eggs almost daily. In addition to this I give zinc, vitamin E (since I rarely get the chance to feed fresh) and fish oil supplements (plus a few others that aren't mandatory like magnesium, glucosamin, MSM & calcium supplement on boneless days). Dogs are carnivores and I feel like feeding veggies provides little other than just fiber and my preferred fiber source is flaxseed meal, if needed at all.

I've found my dog does best on actual whole prey, like whole chickens and rabbits with feathers/fur still on but sadly that's not an option for everyday feeding, at least not yet. Prey model raw is a great second best option.

Edit silly typo

Edited by Black_jackal

veggies are something I am wondering about too. I feed VANS, but after lots of advice here, I have added to the roo mince, liver, kidney, chicken wings, drumsticks, feet, turkey necks , sardines and eggs. not all at the same time, I give a small amount of liver daily, and bones, but everything else alternate.

my question is, I am about to run out of VANS , and to be honest at over $150 a bag I am skint this month and wondering if it is really neccasary?( sp)

my petshop does have whole rabbits in the freezer,but at $15 each its a bit pricey for one meal. :(

Edited by juice

veggies are something I am wondering about too. I feed VANS, but after lots of advice here, I have added to the roo mince, liver, kidney, chicken wings, drumsticks, feet, turkey necks , sardines and eggs. not all at the same time, I give a small amount of liver daily, and bones, but everything else alternate.

my question is, I am about to run out of VANS , and to be honest at over $150 a bag I am skint this month and wondering if it is really neccasary?( sp)

my petshop does have whole rabbits in the freezer,but at $15 each its a bit pricey for one meal. :(

My thoughts are that your diet is good and you don't need the vans or veggies. If you wanted to transition to no vans then you could steam some pumpkin, broccoli and zucchini etc, mash with a fork and add that to the food :) I think rolled oats make up a reasonable portion of the vans and you could just buy a bag of that for very little money, soak and add bit of that to the veggies if you wanted, you can add some flax seed meal and cracked barley as well if you wish- I honestly don't think you need to but it's just something to think about and should save you a lot of money.

EDIT : I do add flax seed meal to my dogs diet and think this is a great supplement :)

Edit 2: I am not bagging VANS, and know there are lots of other things in it than rolled oats etc, It is convenient and possibly a good thing for people who are not confident in going completely DIY

Edited by Yonjuro

Thanks everyone :) So it sounds like I needn't worry too much. I'll give the fish a go and would like to get some egg into her too, I might try it on it's own and see how she does.....

Try quail eggs, they are very good especially for a small dog. I have given then on occasion to my husky and they are received like I would a Lindt chocky ball :D

Thanks for the reply, I am starting to think its a lot of money for a lot of grains that go straight through them.

However, I also dont want poop consistency to change, atm its solid, to the point of dry, and my old dally is pooping and doesn't realise it , so he has it in his bed in the morning and when he gets up off the floor its next to him, so atm its easy to pickup with kitchen roll and no mess.

Do I just get flaxseed meal at wooolies?

making up some rolled oats and adding it is no problem ,and way cheaper!

Thanks for the reply, I am starting to think its a lot of money for a lot of grains that go straight through them.

However, I also dont want poop consistency to change, atm its solid, to the point of dry, and my old dally is pooping and doesn't realise it , so he has it in his bed in the morning and when he gets up off the floor its next to him, so atm its easy to pickup with kitchen roll and no mess.

Do I just get flaxseed meal at wooolies?

making up some rolled oats and adding it is no problem ,and way cheaper!

I would say that bones are going to be more useful than the vans for keeping stools firm.

I believe that you can get flax seed meal at woolies, but when I have seen it there it has always been on the normal shelves. In the healthfood shop it is normally in the fridge. The bags cost around $6 for 500g and you only need a teaspoon per meal, apparently it doesn't have a long shelf life so keep refrigerated, I make up a month of food parcels with the flax seed meal and freeze them.

I dont reckon you really need to give the oats, your diet is good and the flax seed meal will add fibre if needed.

ok, will check out the flaxseed tomorrow as down to my last scoop of VANS.

Just took out a bag of liver frozen to thaw and its green on one side, wasn't like that when I sectioned it up to freeze, assume I should chuck it, the other portions in the freezer from the same batch are the same :(

I just looked up the ingredients in VANS, and its barley, oats ,flaxseed meal, veggies, garlic, parsley ,and a few other things. would adding garlic and parsley help? no idea what they are for.

Edited by juice