I Need To Vent - Still Shaking

suziwong66

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even if you wanted the dogs to meet why would a crowded area with people sitting at tables be an appropriate place? Following you when you left to escape him is just wrong. Harassment. Sorry you had to go through this, it leaves such a nasty feeling doesn't it.

i'm not sure if the Easy Walker can be worn under the harness because the front strap of the harness sits where the front of the EW martingale sits. i'm going to take her to have a try out of the Ezy Dog Harnesses with her EW harness.

True it would. I knew that would have been too easy an option :laugh:

I hope it works though, that would be the best of both worlds!

it doesn't bother me when people stand at an appropriate distance and ask to pat etc and accept "no" and we have a chat etc I just don't like being hemmed in by someone with a large dog that i know is going to set the puppy off barking because he's sat it a few feet away from her and at eye level. Wilbur sits quietly and is fine, but the puppy is learning how to behave in public and people who push their way into our space when we are CLEARLY sitting at a table eating etc and won't move away and then get pissy because i won't do what they want, the way they want are not going to like my reaction.

Any normal person would have exercised some common sense and when asked to stay away, would have gladly opted out instead of encroacing on your personal space and literally force his unwanted attention onto you. That is not normal behaviour, he was clearly harassing you. Your husband didn't say anything to this tosser?

It is my right to ask anyone not to invade my personal space at any time I am out in public. Just because I have my dog doesn't not mean all of a sudden we are public property. If people ask to pat my dogs I do say yes unless I have very good reason not to and thank them very much for askng. My dogs don't really care much for people.

I have a breed I am VERY protective of, they are very easily damaged.

I also have a bit that will bite and put holes in other dogs and if she does it to the wrong one could end up dead or severely injured.

I ask politely - once. Then I will tell the person and potentially not very politely!!!

My dogs my rules, simple!

Edited by OSoSwift

it doesn't bother me when people stand at an appropriate distance and ask to pat etc and accept "no" and we have a chat etc I just don't like being hemmed in by someone with a large dog that i know is going to set the puppy off barking because he's sat it a few feet away from her and at eye level. Wilbur sits quietly and is fine, but the puppy is learning how to behave in public and people who push their way into our space when we are CLEARLY sitting at a table eating etc and won't move away and then get pissy because i won't do what they want, the way they want are not going to like my reaction.

Any normal person would have exercised some common sense and when asked to stay away, would have gladly opted out instead of encroacing on your personal space and literally force his unwanted attention onto you. That is not normal behaviour, he was clearly harassing you. Your husband didn't say anything to this tosser?

No, my husband treats me like the independent adult that i am and lets me deal with my own problems and i'm happy that he doesn't take over; if someone were physically abusive then that would be a different matter.

No, my husband treats me like the independent adult that i am and lets me deal with my own problems and i'm happy that he doesn't take over; if someone were physically abusive then that would be a different matter.

Personally speaking, I would have expected my husband to speak up but clearly we're not all alike, you husband knows you better than anyone. It's all good :)

Edited by Perfume

It sucks so much, having your dog in a public setting DOES NOT = free for all interaction. Didi would be perfectly fine in a busy setting if it weren't for the fact I have no way of ensuring that nobody will touch her or approach us without my say so, so I just don't risk it anymore. Which is a shame because I'd like to be able to spend that time with my dog. I think you handled the situation with restraint and were perfectly reasonable and others are right, if you took the dogs out of the equation this would be extremely rude and confrontational behaviour, just because he wants his dog to 'say hi' doesn't make it okay.

I also briefly went down the labels on the harness path and nobody really approached us but I don't stay still with Didi in public (too many possibilities of getting trapped by idiots) so I don't know if we were sitting down whether it would attract more people asking about her being 'in training'. I think the double harness configuration might be a bit impractical but you could just alter the harness you currently use. I did this to my car harness (just wrote labels on thick paper and taped in place), lasted just fine and is good for a temporary alternative to a harness with patches... just not as attractive :laugh:

post-51158-0-00335000-1416746347_thumb.jpg

Something like a lightweight rain coat or a shirt/vest made of cotton or rash vest type material could be worn with an Easy Walk harness. Then you could just get patches with the wording you want and sew them on. If you're handy with a sewing machine you could even make something. I've had Saxon in a both a front close jumper and a jacket with Velcro fastening across his chest and under his belly with the Easy Walk underneath and it has worked fine.

I have a pretty fear aggressive dog and I use products made by Friendly Dog Collars +/- a muzzle and a very light lycra vest that says 'Rescue Dog in Training'. The red'Caution' lead/harness works best - no one has ever tried to touch her but people do still stop near her and talk to me. I find most people are just curious and generally well-meaning and with a friendly explanation they will wish us all the best and move along.