Jrt X Limp....... Advice Needed?

Kellyzz

Hi Dog owners,

I have a JRT x silky which is 14 months old. She looks/acts just like a JRT. For the last month or so, when we have been walking her, she has a bit of a limp in her hind leg. It's what I call a bit of a 'skip hop' and then is fine... then does it again.

We have checked her paws/pads/nails/ she lets us bend her wrist/knee etc.. with no problems. She RUNS like a greyhound at the races! Like I mean she zooms around with no issues, just when she is on walks or if she is strolling outside in the garden, she just does a skip/hop. If you saw her running around you would look at me like I'm a crazy person saying - what leg issues?

Any advice?

Has this happened to your dog?

Can this wait for the next visit at the vet in Jan for her needles?

Edited by Kellyzz

I would not wait until January.

If there is evidence of a 'problem' after 6 weeks, I consult the Vet. I would wonder if there is liagament issues or something.

And yes, My Vet thinks I am neurotic but he prefers caring to ignoring.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.

Maybe photos of your girl too please?

:)

I would possibly be thinking JRT and maybe a luxating patella. Especially the skip/hop lameness and then otherwise fine again. Mostly its just a case of monitoring and they can progressively deteriorate if that is what is going on.

Edited by ness

I also agree with it possibly being a luxated patella.

My pup had this with the same 'skip hop' and lameness symptoms and was due in for a surgical fix but found that hydrotherapy and rehab to strengthen the muscles around the knee worked so well that we cancelled the surgery.

We now do some exercises with her a few times a week to keep the muscles strong around the patella and she is fine!!

Good luck

definitelya trip to the vet. But if it is patella its not too scary.

My boy Kokoda has a LP in one of his hind legs, with exercises to strengthen muscles he no longer skips. However his was mild. Some cases are surgical.

Ok, so hubby took her to the vet. Vet spent a good amount of time with her and not any patella issues or anything they can feel/see. They went for a walk outside, and of course she barely hobbled!

At this stage, thinking a sprain, and to keep her on short walks/no jumping.

As she is staying at the kennels later this week for a few days, the vets are going to check on her again. (vets and kennels are joined together)

Edited by Kellyzz

If she has been doing this for weeks - it doesn't sound like a sprain ... luxating patella can be fine - then all of a sudden teh dog will be unable to comfortably use a knee - so will 'skip' .. the little kneecap can then slide back in position - and all is Ok until next time .( My dog Mitchell was like this ) From my experience with sprains - there is usually swelling and a lot of pain - almost like a break , sometimes . ..and it doesn't come & go.

Id have to agree that despite the vet consult it could still be a luxating patella issue. I have had literally dozens of dogs on my grooming table over the years who have awful luxation to the point where the ligament pops in and out just with very benign handling during grooming. I speak to the owners, who often return on the next grooming visit telling me thay saw the vet and the vet says nothing is wrong. Pretty odd to me when I pop their knees during grooming doing virtually nothing ie lifting the leg off the ground to trim under the foot. The hop skip jump gait is really common with luxating knee issues. Often the groove that the ligament across the joint sits in is too shallow, and even quite normal movements can see the ligament pop out of the groove. That is when the dog will raise the leg and do the hop skip. A few more steps and often it pops back in and off they go. Depending on the severity whether any intervention is recommended. I do see a lot of dogs with this issue go on to do a cruciate injury at some stage due to the instability in the joint I guess.

Edited by GrufLife

Vet said the kneecap was 'really tight'. All perfect.

As I said before, she will have both vets check in on her at the kennels and get to see what we are talking about.

So........ What to do now???

Edited by Kellyzz

One of my toy poodles has a luxating patella. I make sure she gets plenty of exercise to keep the muscles and joint as strong as possible. I also began feeding her sasha's blend when the leg was causing her some issues and touch wood ???? she has been good ever since. Only the very occasional popping out.

We took our boy to the vet for something else, but while we were there, we mentioned his knee. He would be walking then he would hold up his leg, put it down then he would continue walking. Like what the OP said, a skip and a hop.

She had a feel and just said to keep an eye on it. We could always X-ray later if his knee became worse. So in the following two months, he ran around, did sledding and walked as normal.

But it kept happening, we got X-rays done. He did have a luxating patella!! I was horrified! When we googled patellar luxation, I was shocked the vet didn't pick it up.

Needless to say we are never going back to that vet.

Hiya,

Just wanted to update.

Our dog was at the kennels for a few days as we were in NZ.

The original vet came with another vet to see her run around as they promised to do so. (to get a better look at what she does)

2 x vets and the kennel staff saw the limp more clearly, and they checked and checked and watched her, and they think she is so full of energy/beans that she may have just bruised/sprained her leg. They can't find anything wrong at all they said. So good news :)